General Area in Elmira>Question Details

Elmira Curio…, Both Buyer and Seller in Elmira, NY

I was thinking of moving to Elmira, and wanted to know what the economy was there?

Asked by Elmira Curious, Elmira, NY Thu Jul 12, 2007

Answers

6
Elmira is an unhappy place. The population has shrunk by over 40% inn the last 20 years and along with it went the heart of the city. What is left is a classic Appalachain "Rust Belt" city: limited employment, poor public schools, crime, low life, a dead downtown, racial problems, a catastrophic drop in real estate values, marginally competent public officials, slum lords by the dozen, many tattoo palors and dive bars and a cloud of unhappiness. Other than that, its an OK place. In the midst of all this, is Elmira College, the only remaining jewel of once was a proud city.
Check Sperling's Best Places for Elmira, NY.
Corning is a wonderful town. Elmira, is by far NOT. The school system in corning has 2 highschools which allows for a jovial and academic rivalry - I grew up there. I have lived all over the world and reside in Boston an encourage you to consider Corning NY. The town is charming like Chatham on Cape Cod - with treelined brick main street of shoppes, galleries, a quaint theatre, pubs, restaurants.. walking bridge to the large museum. the City hosts droves of international tourists in the summer and also a fortune 500 co global headquarter, Corning Inc (GLW), the wineries are growing in population of distribution and tourism, Watkins Glen nearby and the many many, crystal clear finger lakes - not yet discovered by most.
Hello. I will just say to you read the response from Kim and she told you about the area in a nice way. I would avoid this area like the plague! There are no jobs, nothing really fun for families to do and the crime rate just keeps rising. I am a single mother of a 5 year old and I was born and raised in this area and Im moving back to Philadelphia when she gets out of school. Dont do it!!
If you're talking about Elmira, NY, I can answer this question. My husband grew up there an his siblings and mother are still there. I sell real estate in the Syracuse area and refused to move there because I had no chance of making the salary I can up here. Houses that sell for $100,000 up here will sell for $70-$85,000 down there. There's not a lot to offer for employment (unless you're in the aviation field). You might be better off in the Corning area. Or, come on up to Syracuse!! If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to help. You can reach me at kimforkhamer@twcny.rr.com.