General Area in Lemont>Question Details

Interestedbu…, Home Buyer in Lemont, IL

I want to buy property in Briarcliff. Is there an issue with Citgo refinery nearby? Are there fumes, does it smell,and is there safety concerns?

Asked by Interestedbuyer, Lemont, IL Fri Oct 2, 2009

Answers

2
I haven't heard anything about safety issues, but there is definately a smell, and when it gets really cold you can see just how many fumes are coming off of that place.
I don't live in that area but I do live in Lemont and have looked at properties there before. Real nice area except, yes, it does get kind of fragrant around there quite often. That's what kept me from buying there. My father and brother were on the Lemont FD when they had a big explosion / fire. The fire was kept under control and did not spread to adjoining homes, but I did hear that some homes had window damage from the initial explosion. Citgo does a good job as far as safety goes. Fires/explosions are an extremely rare occurrence; but the smell appears to be there forever.