General Area in 60640>Question Details

Jill, Other/Just Looking in Buffalo, NY

I want to become a real estate agent

Asked by Jill, Buffalo, NY Tue Aug 26, 2014

Will be moving to the Evanston, il and I have been interested in real estate for a very long time. I have recently finished a degree. Will be moving and would love for some advice on good real estate training centers in the area as well as possible mentors that would take me on while I train. I'm originally from Toronto Canada and bought my first house there at the age of 20, so its a definite passion and something I cant wait to start working towards.

Answers

12
Call Catherine Leonard who manages the Baird & Warner office in Evanston. She's at 847-491-1855 and at the minimum have a conversation with her.

If you are interested in doing business on the North Side of Chicago (your Trulia question mentions zip code 60640), I recommend you call David Bailey who manages the Baird & Warner office in the Lincoln Park neighborhood. He lives in near Evanston and used to manage the Evanston office. He can be found at 773 697 5555
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 2, 2014
Hi Jill,

Please contact me to learn more.
Jill -- I had to laugh when reading this, because you and I have slightly parallel lives that are just off a bit. I'm originally from the western NY area and I studied at UToronto my "frosh" year. I now live in Chicago and got into real estate in the past year. I can't offer you years of advice, but I can offer you advice on becoming a new agent and how I made the decision to be an independent agent. Feel free to connect with me via email at jillianpotter@kw.com.

Good luck with your move!

Cheers,

Jillian Potter, SRS
Keller Williams Preferred Realty
http://www.jillianpotter.com
Jill, that is a great idea and could prove to be among the most important you have ever made.
There's a problem however.

Real estate is a great cosmic term that means many things to different people.

What you are asking is like walking into a gymnastics center and saying, 'Train me!"
You may be well served to put a little thought into whether you see yourself as a tumbler or a star on the parallel bars. It is YOUR responsibility to know what you want. If you don't, you will be treated like a fish.

My recommendation is to read my 7 blogs titled "7 Things I Wish I Knew Before Getting Into Real Estate" right here on my Trulia blog. The first one is dated Feb 10, 2014.

The failure rate of newbies trying out real estate, is criminally high. These newbies always get the same advise...sign up with folks that will give you tran'n and decade after decade 90% never see their second year anniversary. That is because they prepared so very little as a small business owner.

Your failure to prepare will result in the brokerage giving you what they give everybody, the same train'n which history has proven to be inadequate. They provide old school instruction based on the "you must know in order to do" principle. This works in an educational environment, NOT in a business environment where you really learn by doing.

The end result of 'must know to do' is the fish never learns to climb the tree therefore the fish is stupid. and year after year after year, newbies return to their old jobs.

YOUR clarity will be reflected in the clairity of purpose of those you engage. "Train me to be profient on the rings to complete a 2 minute routine of olymic caliber." That is clarity and seperates you from the fish.

"My real estate business goal is to service the distressed real estate market segment of single family homes valued below $700,000, representing sellers and investors." So Mr/Mrs Broker, how are you going to get me to DOING as soon as possible?" No fish program for this business owner.

It is up to you whether you invest in your future just like any small business owner would.
Work smart. Absorb everything you can read on real estate. Keep educating yourself. Surround yourself with people who don't mind sharing the knowledge. Build a network of clients.Find you niche (commercial, residential, rentals, sellers, buyers, etc) All the best!
Flag Thu Oct 16, 2014
Get your license and hang it with a brokerage that offers a comprehensive education program.
No matter what brokerage you hang your license at - THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 20, 2014
As a current real estate broker who lives in Andersonville but is working out of an office in Evanston I would be happy to share a few things with you. Feel free to call me at 773 677 5340.

Jeff Nobleza
Baird & Warner
2926 Central Street
Evanston, IL 60201
Jeff.Nobleza@BairdWarner.com
JeffNobleza.com
I know Evanston quite well. I live and have a home office just south of Evanston, in Rogers Park. I would be happy to talk to you by phone or meet up for coffee if you have any specific questions. Once you join a local realtor association, you will find there are plenty of options to help you learn the business and succeed.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 13, 2014
There is a lot of them online. Or you can go to the Chicago Association of Realtors.
Please contact me! I've been in the business for a little over 10 years in different parts of the country. I've been a Team Leader, Real Estate Coach, etc. I have some suggestions on where to get your license and a company to get affiliated with that has free coaching as part of their program. The culture of agents is great! You'll find that you will want to be in an environment of agents that believe in sharing & giving back. Makes a huge difference! Contact me! www. DeborahBenn.com - Deb
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 7, 2014
Real Estate is a great area to be interested in, after all everyone needs a place to live. You may want to enter it on a part time basis, since you are also moving to a new area. It will also let you decide what part of Real Estate I.e new homes, rentals, commercial you want to work. There is a lot of training online and you can buy books and CDs from eBay . There will be a lot of people who want you to pay for training, coaching or for leads. While some are good some are a waste of money. Wait a while and talk with other agents for their opinion. If you pick a larger company they should having a training department. Consider going to open houses when you get there and ask the agents, who they would recommend.
I can't offer local advice, but I must recommend http://www.yesmasters.com coaching. This was instrumental to me getting launched and being successful, I don't know where I would be without Kevin Ward. He has plenty of free videos on YouTube by searching his name, but if you're like me they got me hooked on his systems of being an agent and I signed up for his coaching that provides much more in depth training.