General Area in 95136>Question Details

Kmdt5143406, Home Buyer in San Jose, CA

I want to add additional space, 500-700 sf, to my living and kitchen. Do I have to pay additional property?

Asked by Kmdt5143406, San Jose, CA Sat Apr 12, 2008

tax, and how much if so?

Answers

2
Tax collectors assess based on current market values. Values are down right now so it sounds like a good time to add on. Adding on to your existing tax base should be less than going out and buying that bigger house at the new price/tax.
When you do an addition in Santa Clara County, the assessor is automatically notified when the permits are pulled for the property. The assessor will send you a letter to let you know what information they need from you to do the assessment.
For additions, the assessor generally adds the value of the addition to your current base value. This is what the did when I added a media room to my home. The new addition added only $45 per year to my previous tax bill.
Good Luck,
Jennifer Kretschmer, AIA
Jennifer Kre…, Home Seller in 95124