General Area in 95136>Question Details

Kmdt5143406, Home Buyer in San Jose, CA

I want to add additional space, 500-700 sf, to my living and kitchen. Do I have to pay additional property?

Asked by Kmdt5143406, San Jose, CA Sat Apr 12, 2008

tax, and how much if so?

Help the community by answering this question:


Tax collectors assess based on current market values. Values are down right now so it sounds like a good time to add on. Adding on to your existing tax base should be less than going out and buying that bigger house at the new price/tax.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 21, 2008
When you do an addition in Santa Clara County, the assessor is automatically notified when the permits are pulled for the property. The assessor will send you a letter to let you know what information they need from you to do the assessment.
For additions, the assessor generally adds the value of the addition to your current base value. This is what the did when I added a media room to my home. The new addition added only $45 per year to my previous tax bill.
Good Luck,
Jennifer Kretschmer, AIA
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 13, 2008
Jennifer Kre…, Home Seller in 95124
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer