General Area in Guerneville>Question Details

Maris, Home Buyer in Guerneville, CA

I want a neighborhood on the RR where I can jog/walk/hike long distances safely right out my front door. Where's my best bet?

Asked by Maris, Guerneville, CA Mon Nov 5, 2012

We're really active and need to be able to go for a jog/walk/stroller ride without having to load everything up in a car. There's not a lot of sidewalks on the RR, where are the walking paths near houses?

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/3100260414-16008-Riverlands-R…

Answers

5
Kmp721’s answer
I've owned a vacation home in Guerneville for over 14 years. I would recommend you look for a home located off of Armstrong Woods Road if you want to be able to go long distances for a run. Although there are many nice neighborhoods around Guerneville, most do not have sidewalks and narrow streets make it unsafe for pedestrians. Armstrong Woods Road (for the most part) has a wide shoulder/bike lane and it leads into the park which contains many roads and trails perfect for a run with or without a stroller. The areas off of Armstrong Woods Rd also have more sun and there's less traffic so if you wanted to just stay in your neighborhood for your run you could do so safely. My home is located off of Neeley Rd which is a lovely area but to get into town without a car you need to walk on Neeley which scare me - cars whiz by too fast and the shoulder is narrow to non existant at best. Good luck in your search!
The West county trail is our main trail. The best live/vacation home you can choose would be along the west county trail in Graton. It also runs through Sebastapol but that's turning into a bustling city at this point, and if you are like me you will want to live someplace quiet near running/hiking trails. Graton or further west is the best including the other towns mentioned. I would also mention that Monte Rio is a safe quiet spot near the river with schools, markets and a strong community. On the other hand, if you are a millionaire you may think of Bohemian Grove accross the street from Monte Rio where there is also a water treatment plant and several tributaries of the River to hike and run along.
Once you get into these areas you may want to think about how many hours of sun you are willing to reduce to. The further into the Redwoods you get the more peace you have, but the less sun you may end up with unless you get a good flat open area.
You may want to consider Forestville for your search. It is a small community with several different neighborhoods. There is an elementary school and a high school that serves Forestville, Guerneville, Monte Rio and Cazadero students. That means there are sidewalks to serve the needs of this large population of children. There is also a community Youth Park owned and operated by the citizens of Forestville. It includes playgrounds and play equipment for younger children and the local Little League ballpark. It is the location of many community events throughout the year.
I hope this is helpful. Feel free to contact me for further information at k4re@ymail.com or on my cell phone at 707 591-4039.
K Keller
Russian River Realty
Hello There Maris,
I am a jog/walker myself. My personal favorite area is Armstrong Woods State Park. There are some amazing trails out off Freezeout Road in Duncan's Mills as well.
There is a fire trail off Moscow Road. Great for dogs and hill practice, probably not strollers. I go down to Willow Creek for miles of jog/wallking area with almost no cars. There are many neighborhoods that get limited traffic that work well too.
Thank you.
In health and housematters.
Kyla
Hi Kyla,
I love Armstrong and Willow Creek!! I've just added a couple kiddos to the mix recently and wasn't sure what the options were for strollers in the area, haven't brought the kiddos around yet. We walk them to nap them, so very long walks are in order! I'll have to check out the Fire Road for when I can get out on my own!
And anywhere new I can hike is great too!
Thanks!
Flag Mon Nov 5, 2012
Hello There Maris,
Thank you.
In health and housematters.
Kyla