General Area in Sausalito>Question Details

Heidi, Home Buyer in Sausalito, CA

I understand the weather in Sausalito can be questionable. In what area of Sausalito is the banana belt located?

Asked by Heidi, Sausalito, CA Thu Sep 10, 2009

Answers

4
I lived in the area of Sausalito facing San Francisco for four years. It's known as "Hurricane Gulch" for good reason. This is one of the most picturesque areas of Sausalito, with the most beautiful bay and city views and jaw-dropping, multi-million dollar historic homes; but it is significantly colder and more windy in that area, and I swear to you, if you live in the shadow of the hill you get literally 3 hours less sunshine than if you live just a minute's drive north and away from the bay. Realtors like to claim that the Banana Belt starts midway down Bridgeway, around Horizons restaurant on the water, but they're saying that to sell houses. It's freezing there. You'd think you were living in Seattle. The Banana Belt doesn't really begin until after you pass the Starbucks on Princess Street, driving north. After that, the weather is often sunny and warm and there is much less wind. Now I live in the north end of Sausalito. I miss the views of the bay and the city that I had when I lived in Hurricane Gulch, but I still have a water view of Tiburon across the inlet and I love the sun and three extra hours of daylight. This summer in my area of Sausalito it's been hot and very sunny every day, and you would get the same effect in the cute neighborhoods around Caledonia St in the middle of town. It's hard to beat Sausalito. Every time I think of moving somewhere else, I can't bear to actually leave.
Heidi,

Banana belt and Sausalito is a bit of a stretch. Take a look at a TERRAIN map of Sausalito, CA at http://maps.google.com and you can see that the most sheltered part of Sausalito is in the north.

The part of Sausalito nearest the Golden Gate, facing east, is most exposed to marine influence, most subject to fog, and is probably what you mean by questionable. MIcroclimates change, highs get higher and lows lower, as you move north and away from the open water.

Topography and air circulation create different microclimates. That part of Sausalito facing Richardson Bay will have the warmest spots where the blocking ridges are sufficiently high.

Many folks find Sausalito weather too cool and prefer more sheltered areas. It is a very personal preference.

Geography is my thing. If I can help further RSVP.
Web Reference: http://REALTZ.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 10, 2009
I moved to Lower Crescent Ave before I ever heard that this area is called Hurricane Gulch. I am glad to say that I have not experienced any bad weather…..yet???? It is sunny every day. I moved back to the Bay Area after thirty two years in the Seattle area, and believe me, you can't compare. So far, so good!!
the northern Sebastopol/Forestville area...hope this helps!
Web Reference: http://cindihagley.com
The Hagley G…, Real Estate Pro in Pleasanton, CA