General Area in Taos>Question Details

Laura H. Dav…, Renter in Taos, NM

I saw Taos crime statistics. In simple terms, is it safe for a single older woman to live in Taos?

Asked by Laura H. Davis, Taos, NM Fri May 18, 2012

Answers

7
Leigh-Jo Anzures’ answer
Hi Laura,

No one can really answer that, but you. You need to evaluate the crime statistics to determine if the findings are what makes you feel safe in a neighborhood. You cannot rely on any ones opinion.

What was your impression of the stats?

Leigh-Jo
Syan Real Estate
Call/Text: (505) 730-8181
Web Reference: http://www.Syan.com
Well, I am still wary of trusting the vehicle and the driver who takes one from the airport to the city. I can't imagine what one would experience if the vehicle should break down. There seems to be no life out there except a few mountain goats and sheep. Once you finally arrive you may sense ghosts lurking at a few historical places and that can do a number of tricks on your mind. The largest communty center is a bar right in the middle of town. There is another across the center. Basically that would limit the hours you could do actual shopping or strolling around. All in all it seems like a fine city
huh?
Flag Wed Jun 13, 2012
My 81 year old mother just moved here from Florida. She is single. She rents a one bedroom casita with carport. She has had no concerns about safety. She is active and enjoys how easy it is to get around without having to drive too much. She goes to the senior citizen center for $1.50 lunch every week day. She has made many friends very easily. I think there are two kinds of people. Those that find danger lurking around every corner and are just nervous in general (not recognizing that whatever crime stats they see, crime typically happens to certain types of people) or those that live life and enjoy not dwelling on things they cannot control. Hope this helps.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 21, 2012
I have never locked any doors in my house for 23 years. I leave my keys to my car in the car and in the ignition wherever I go and parked at my house. Truck keys are always in the truck. This is the safest community I've ever been in. Secret is to help others, be of service, share and be grateful daily, trust in the inherent goodness of others and don't live in fear.
I am a native NM born and raised in Taos. I've never worried about my safety. My mother who is 74 walks to the bus stop and is always on the go. I would however lock my doors there and anywhere else.
I'm 69 and have lived here for 23 years. Never lock my doors, have no keys. It's much safer here than anywhere else.
City-data.com has a variety of opinions on different cities.
Here is Taos: http://www.city-data.com/city/Taos-New-Mexico.html
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 19, 2012