General Area in Wilmington>Question Details

Lkn1224, Home Buyer in Wilmington, NC

I need to install a privacy fence. How tall can I go in Wilmington?

Asked by Lkn1224, Wilmington, NC Tue May 8, 2012

Answers

4
It depends where you live. If you are in a neighborhood with a homeowners association you need to check with your HOA as they will usually have guidelines and rules regarding fence construction.

If you are in the City of Wilmington you will need to get a permit fromt the city and if you are in a historic district additional rules may apply.

If you are in the County you do not need to obtain a building permit, however if you are planning a very tall fence I would check with the planning department ahead of time to be on the safe side.

Generally speaking, in a non HOA neighborhood, you should be able to build a backyard fence up to 6 feet without too much of a hassle and a smaller front yard fence if desired.

You should double check with your HOA, the City or the County as may be the case in your situation. The planning and building departments are there to help you with your questions and generally get back to you pretty quickly.

Good luck with your project.

Have a great day!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 8, 2012
doesn't a privacy fence have to be 3 feet in on builder's property? If, in open front yards, cable/water boxes should be clear for workmen to open, and if weeds grown to be a tree and cross over to my property, who cleans what?
Flag Sun Sep 13, 2015
It all just depends on your town's building codes. It also depends on if you are in a condo or something like that. We can build fences up to 8 ft. in my area. It's pretty nice because you can have a lot of seclusion that way. http://www.jcfence.com/Vinyl_Fencing_Chain_Link_Fencing_Wood…
I agree with the others.

I serve on the architectural committee of our HOA and we require a drawing and complete specifications. But mostly it comes down to common since. As Ian said there are codes to ask about and as Mike asked, do you live in the city or the county?
Knowing what area you are living in is really important because that can dictate the rules and regulations you will need to follow. My family's neighbor had a fence installed a few years back. He talked to us and showed us the work he had done to be sure it was in the the up and up.
http://www.pacificfence.com/
Flag Thu Nov 6, 2014
Are you in the city limits of Wilmington?