General Area in Cedar Lake>Question Details

Shadow108, Other/Just Looking in Cedar Lake, IN

I'm trying to refinance my home to a lower rate. When the appraiser done his report, he suggested a price of?

Asked by Shadow108, Cedar Lake, IN Wed Jul 22, 2009

$135,000. Why does he set such a low value on a house that has a resale value of approx. $175,000 or better. The average home is running at $192,877, per your site statistics. The last home sold was $147,837, the one before that at $190,794. Even if I average all of the last 4 sold dating back to the beginning of the year, it still comes out about $159,598. So what's up with the basement appraisal? I'm not selling just trying to refinance.

Answers

2
Who determines that your re-sale value is $175,000?? You said in your answer that the "last home SOLD was $147, 837". Appraisers are not allowed to go back too far for their comparative data. 60-90 days is about the max. If the comparable homes that have actually SOLD in your area are under $150K, then that is where the market is for your house right now, at this moment in time. I agree with the previous poster that suggests you go back to the appraiser to ask them how they determined the value they assigned to your home. Its likely you wont change his mind, but at least you will have a better understanding of how he came up with the value.

There is a big gap I find in Trulia and Zillow and allot of the other sites online where they just throw out averages of homes...when was the data collected? Who collected it? These sites are good for basic information but for something as important as the value of your home, whether you are refinancing, buying or selling, its best to consult a real estate professional in your neighborhood. Good Luck!
Shadow,

I will be the first to throw appraisers under the bus for low appraisals, we all know that it does happen from time to time. In their defense however, an appraisal is more complicated than looking at recent solds on Trulia. I would recommend that you request a copy of the report and take a look at the comps that the appraiser used. If you feel you have better comparables you might point them out to the appraiser. I do wish you luck however because as a group I have found that they don't like anyone to question their authority.

Cameron Piper
#1 Trulia Agent in Minnesota
Web Reference: http://www.campiper.com