General Area in Princeton>Question Details

Kimberly, Home Seller in Chicago, IL

I'm relocating to Princeton NJ from Chicago for a new job and I'm looking for condo or townhouse rentals in

Asked by Kimberly, Chicago, IL Wed May 14, 2008

and around trendy areas of NJ. I want to be close enough to my job but also in a fun and hip area. Can you recommend such a location that is safe for a single female. I 'm willing to commute at least 30-40 miles.

Secondly, are there any specific apartment management companies that you could recommend?

Answers

11
Hi Kimberly,

I live in Plainsboro (08536), New Jersey with my wife, son, daughter-in-law and two grandsons. This is a very good an peaceful area. You have everything that you need. Even nice apartments are available for rent which I may be able to show you (I am not an agent and won't be charging you anything. Helping others is my passion. When I become valuable to others, I add value to myself.

All the very best.

Best regards.

Rajah
201-565-6750
pkcrajah@gmail.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 6, 2011
Hi Kimberly, We have a very nice 2BR, 2BA condo with LR with fireplace, dining room, kitchen w/new appliances and pergo flooring for rent for 1700/mo. It's in a very quiet, smaller community called Windsor Mill. There's a front door that is always locked and then you have a hallway door to your condo. There's also a Washer and Dryer inside the unit. Please contact me if you're interested - 609-577-6598
Katherine
Hi Kimberly,

We have several wonderful communities in Robbinsville called Foxmoor, The Lofts @ Town Center & Washington Town Center. There are many young professionals that are relocating to the area that are renting in these communities. You are 10-15 minute car ride from Princeton. 35-40 minutes from Philly and a 1Hr 20 min train ride to NYC. Rents are anywhere from 1300 for a condo, to a little over 1700 for The Lofts & around 2500 for a town home in Town Center. You are within walking distance to shopping, shops and restaurants. You may find this area to your liking. Let us know if we can help you in any way.

Desiree
Try Hoboken and reverse comute on the train. It will be about an hour train ride. You can't get much trendier than Hoboken in NJ.
Hi Kimberly,
The State of New Jersey is offering grants for first time home buyers and you might meet the criteria. If qualified, you can get up to 4% of the mortgage free. The only stipulation is you must qualify and live in the home for 7 years. After that time, the grant if forgiven. It is a great incentive for you with the State of NJ footing a portion of the mortgage. Think about it.
Hi Kimberly,
If you are willing to commute 30-40 miles, Pennington might be the answer. It is close enough for an easy commute to Princeton but also minutes to New Hope, Lambertville, and 45 minutes to Philadelphia. Contact me for the your goals and needs.
I live in the area, there isn't alot that is fun and trendy. South Brunswick is in the middle between downtown Princeton and New Brunswick. RedBank, NJ which is kind of far is fun and trendy.
Fun and hip...beside Princeton itself, there is no fun and hip place around, and Princeton is not even half as hip/fun as Chicago. Many rich people in Princeton, mostly preppy and Talbot's kind of richy rich ladies. Stores in Princeton are closed quite early. Some people may consider New Brunswick fun, but it's not safe...I wouldn't live there as a single female. If you crave bigger city life, Philadelphia will be a bit far and the commute is not fun, but I know people who commute from Philly. Basically areas surrounding Princeton are affluent suburbs and in my eyes, a bunch of yawns (although traffic and obnaxious SUV drivers everywhere). Jersey is no San Francisco/NYC...(but not as boring as Wisconsin).

For rental I recommend you look into craigslist.org (choose Central New Jersey), and the Princeton Packet (newspaper) http://www.packetonline.com. It really depends on how much you want to spend.

For apartment management companies, definitely look up http://www.apartmentratings.com

By the way Lambertville and New Hope, PA is fun. They are 2 neighboring towns, one in NJ and one in PA, separated by a river. It's a thriving artist community with lots of gallery and many people love to go there for weekends. Many people consider it more fun than Princeton, but still it's no city. Rent is a lower than the Princeton area too. I have friend living there and she used to commute to Princeton and now she commutes to NYC.

Well it's really tough to say...if I were you I probably would stay in places like Residence Inn for the first month (they have free breakfast and dinner), drive around to see for yourself before signing a year-long list. Good luck!!
Hi Kimberly,

The 1st step would be to get a credit report ( required) & know what you're comfortable with as a maximum rental payment.
Unless you have no maximum, that is a better way of starting your search.
The surrounding areas of West Windsor, Plainsboro, Lawrenceville South Brunswick, Montgomery ....some communities in each of these areas are close enough to have a Princeton mailiing address.....might potentially all suitable for your requirements.
The price may become the deciding factor as rentals have been going up over the last 2-3 years in our area.
If you were not quite ready to contact an agent ---who by the way is paid via the transaction, but offers you the valuable benefits of local area knowledge of communities & avg rental prices ----you could start your search on a local website such as mine (featured listings or Search For Homes feature- to review all currently listed rental properties in & around princeton)

Good luck with the move & your job. This is a wonderful area to be moving to !!
Web Reference: http://www.SoldByShalu.com
Kimberly,
Excuse me for being brief in my earlier response, Princeton proper is about 20-30% higher than immediate adjoining areas. There is a borough and Township. Each have their own form of government and share a regional school district. Princeton has the dinky (a 2 car train that runs from the University to the Princeton Junction station on the north east corridor line) Princeton is midway between NY and Philly. Most of the newer developements are outside of Princeton due to the tremendous history of Princeton dating back pre revolutionary. Canal Pointe and Collonade Pointe are nice and for condos very good bargains. These also have Princeton address but are actually located in West Windsor. The Princeton zip code can be confusing as it covers multiple townships and even counties. Email me if you would like an indepth area tour. Princeton is not terribly far from New Hope Pa and Lambertville NJ both of which are nice areas. Trenton the state capital is about 20 minutes away and very inexpensive (for many reasons)
AS to apartment complexes there are also many just north of Princeton in Plainsboro but many somewhat run down by comparison to those I mentioned earlier.
Web Reference: http://www.canalpointe.org
Montgomery Woods is a terrific area with Princeton address. Many professionals and convenient to walking and biking trails. Many more to choose from but this is one of best values.