Anakin, Home Buyer in Altamonte Springs, FL

I'm looking for a very family oriented neighborhood in Dr. Phillips. Any suggestions? I'm sure there are plenty, but I'd be

Asked by Anakin, Altamonte Springs, FL Sun Sep 6, 2009

interested in an area that has a lot of kids.

Answers

12
Thanks for the clarification. Yes, there is quite a variation in how much you can get for $400k. That will last as long as there are plenty of short sales and bank owneds on the market, but that won't last forever. There have been 56 closings in this area in the past 6 months and 5 of those were short sales with another 15 being bank owned. And there are another 29 short sales and 2 bank owneds pending right now. Getting started in January should still be OK, but don't wait too long. When the bargains are gone, they're gone.

High School wise, what you say is right these are both good schools. Personally I think the the A,B,C grades they give schools are nonsense. It all depends on your children's needs and abilities and the ability of the school to meet those needs. Depending on the child, a C school could easily be better for them than an A school. Go and talk to the staff and some parents personally if you have some specific concerns. However, keep in mind that these are very large schools with over 3,000 students each and one parent's experience could be very different than another's.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 6, 2009
Hi Anakin,

Thanks for writing back. Not quite sure what you mean by 400,000 being a square footage.

If you mean 4,000 suare feet plus there are 13 on the market, but none are distressed sales. Prices start in the low $500,000's.

If you mean costing around $400,000, then there are 68 houses on the market for $400,000 or less. 17 are short sales and 5 are bank owned. Some of those short sales will doubtless be bank owned by the time you are ready to start looking seriously, but expect anything that is bank owned to be gone by January.

I've tutored lots of students from both Olympia and Dr. Phillips, from struggling to high acheivers. Aside from the normal complaining you hear from all students about their teachers, the only negative I've heard from students is that because Dr. Phillips has such a sprawling campus, it can be a challenge to get from class to class between periods. They're both good schools.

Check out several realtors on the web and then interview the ones whose style and knowledge you like and pick one of them to help you.

Love to hear from you in January,
Mark LeMenager
Weichert, Realtors - Hallmark Properties
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 6, 2009
I am assuming you are still in the market as you had previously said you would be more aggressive in January. I am currently selling my home in the Dr Phillips zip code, and your inquiry caught my eye as "family oriented" neighborhood is why we chose where we did. We are located between Dr Phillips and Windermere off of 535 in Lake Sheen Reserve. Our neighborhood features larger lots and homes and has attracted many families. The school bus is full. The location is quiet, yet very easily accessible to the Dr Phillips restaurants and shopping and the quiet, nature of Windermere. The school system is "A" rated and from personal experience, excellent. There are new schools so they are not as overcrowded as in some nearby districts, and the teachers are fantastic. Please check out my listing, but whether or not you like my home, this may be an area you would enjoy.
Hi Anakin,

Thanks for the update. Regarding Olympia versus Dr. Phillips, it is all in the eyes of the beholder. Dr. Phillips is an older school, where as Olympia was opened this decade due to the growth in the Dr. Phillips/Windermere areas. Both schools have favorable reputations and I would venture to say if you conducted a survey on which school is better regarded on a variety of topics, it would be pretty close to a 50-50 split. My only suggestion beyond that regarding the two schools would we if your children have a particular specialty they want to pursue, for example Dr. Phillips has a renowed "IB" program for the arts .
Otherwise, you may want to tour each of the schools and schedule an appt. to meet the principal and get a feel on your perception of the overall experience. From a data and consumer standpoint, both schools are well regarded.

For a 400,000 price, there are numerous alternatives as you alluded to and of course in our present environment, many of the transactions are Bank Owned Foreclosures and Short Sales. The condition varie significantly from home to home when they are distressed situations. The neighborhood and age of the home additional impact the prices. For example, one of the communities referenced by one of your respondents was Phillips Landing, a nice gated community where they offer both a Custom Section as well as Tract homes. The Tract homes have a significantly lower selling price.

I can confidently say when you are ready to purchase, you should have some good alternatives to select from. If I can provide additional assistance or information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Marty Kaiser
Broker/Associate
Accredited Buyer's Representative
Certified Relocation Specialist
407-595-9700
marty@floridasells.com
Web Reference: http://www.floridasells.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 6, 2009
Sorry, I didn't phrase that clearly. I am looking at about $400,000, but there seems to be a big range in what is available at that price (in terms of square footage).

As far as schools - yes - that is a top priority. Thank you for mentioning that. However, if I strictly look at the "School Grades", there is no way to determine which is best. For example, Olympia is an A school, as is Dr. Phillips. From there I can look at test scores and teacher ratios, but when we are talking about fraction of a percent differences, I don't know that it really sets one apart from the other.

I imagine you are ethically bound to speak favorably of all districts, so perhaps I can approach it this way, is there one school district that seems to be particularly safe and well-regarded by parents?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 6, 2009
Anakin,

You'll have some good family oriented neighborhoods from which to pick in the Dr. Phillips area as previous responding agents have indicated. However, I would also think that one of your priorities would be the location and quality of the schools that your children would be attending so you may want to do your homework before selecting any particular neighborhood. There are numerous websites available to help you with this task. I recommend that when you have a specific address of a property, go to the Orange County Public School website at https://www.ocps.net and check the school zones. Then, another helpful website... http://www.greatschools.net is where you can get some insight by reading the parents and students comments about a particular school plus other information that is available on this website.

I am frequently in the Dr. Phillips area as my grandson attends elementary school there. Please visit my websites where I offer free MLS home searches and other useful information and contact me anytime as it would be my pleasure to assist your family in relocatiing to the Dr. Phillips area.

Thank you for your inquiry!

Suzanne Ogden, Realtor
Charles Rutenberg Realty
(407) 234-1098
sogden2@cfl.rr.com
http://suzanneogden.mfr.mlxchange.com
Web Reference: http://www.suzanneogden.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 6, 2009
Thanks to all for the really insightful information. I'm likely looking for something in the 400,000 range. There seems to be a big range of homes in that square footage - especially with the foreclosures I'm seeing through the Orlando Sentinel. We will probably be looking more actively in January and would like to move in by next summer.

Also, is there any recommendation about Dr. Phillips High School vs. Olympia?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 6, 2009
Hi Anakin,

There are a number of nice options in Dr. Phillips that are family oriented and would be excellent locations to raise your family. The three biggest questions in order to give you a more specific recommendation are what does your budget allow, how large a home are you seeking and what size would you prefer your home to be? Once those variables are factored in, specific neighborhoods meeting all of your requirements would then be discussed. There are quite a variation of price ranges etc. in Dr. Phillips, ranging from affordable to very high end, so price is an important consideration.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Marty Kaiser
SW Orlando Specialist
Broker/Associate
407-595-9700
marty@floridasells.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 6, 2009
We have family that lives in the Phillips Landing subdivison who really like it there. The highly rated Bay Meadows Elementary is about a block away from the entrance of the subdivision. You also have the Brentwood Club and Bristol Park subdivisions both within walking distance to the school. Plus, other subdivisions in that area of Dr Phillips as well.

The new beautiful Dr P Phillips Community Park, on Big Sand Lake in that area, offers baseball fields, soccer field, splash park, sand volleyball, playground, pavilion with picnic tables and much more.

Let us know if we can help you find your next home. You can also visit our website below with more information on the Dr Phillips area.

Paul and Theresa Caponi
Century 21 Elite Properties Realtors
321-297-6113
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 6, 2009
Hi Anakin,

Check out the neighborhoods along Dr Phillips Blvd. In a distance of about 3 miles, you've got 2 elementary schools, a middle school, and a great YMCA. Also for the kids, Universal and Harry Potter are only a few minutes away as well. Plus for the older folks, great shopping and dining at each end of the Blvd. I work as an after school tutor a couple days a week there and am always amazed at how many kids are in the area.

Right now there are 150 properties on the market in the area ranging from small bank owned condos in the $80's to fabulous family homes in the mid $1 millions with just about everything in between. So regardless of your budget you should find what you are after.

Let me know if you'd like some specific lisitings.

Mark LeMenager
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 6, 2009
You have many options and I can assist you with the neighborhoods in Dr. Phillips. How much are looking to spend on a home?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 6, 2009
If you get something at The Sanctuary or for a little more Orange Tree, you'll be within walking distance to the huge family YMCA at Dr. Phillips which is amazing. Let me know if you're interested in either of those communities.
Marcus Burke.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 6, 2009