General Area in 94102>Question Details

Ml, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

I'm in my 20's and work in biotech. What's a cheap/fairly safe place to live near SF?

Asked by Ml, San Francisco, CA Sun Sep 7, 2008

Hi! I'm planning to move to the SF area and I'd like some advice on the cheapest and relatively safe places to live. I work in biotech, so I'd like to be near the bio/pharma areas, but also close to SF because I like living close to the city. I'm willing to share an apartment with 2-3 other people. Can you give me locations and price estimates of areas around SF? Thanks.

Answers

5
I'm am offering a house for rent in Visitacion Valley at 58 Teddy Street for $3400/month. It was built in 2009, and is beautiful. It is close to biotech companies in South San Francisco and public transportation. My email is anisaking@gmail.com. My phone number is 650-630-1721.
58 Teddy Street, San Francisco, CA 94134.
Beautifully Handcrafted & Custom Built 3 Bedroom, 2.5 Bath Home with Rear Patio, & 2 Car Side-By-Side Garage, has a Bright and Cheerful Open Floor Plan, Gorgeous Brazilian Cherry Hardwood Floors, Partial Views, and Energy Efficient with Top of the Line Temp Star Central Gas Heat Furnace, Rheem Tankless Water Heater, and Low E Simonton Windows! The Inviting Grand Room with Center Fireplace Offers Sliding Glass Doors, Recessed Lighting, & Crystal Lights & Sconces. The Elegant Kitchen has Ubatuba Granite Counters, Stainless Steel Appliances Including Gas Stove, Dishwasher, Refrigerator, & Microwave, & Honey Oak Cabinets & Travertine Floors. A Washer and Dryer are Located on the Upper Level for Convenience! Close to Public Transportation, Quick Freeway Access.
Flag Thu Aug 15, 2013
Daly City or Pacifica.

Gregory Garver - Commercial Real Estate Broker
Broker License# 01716531
(415)225-9894
gregory.garver@gmail.com
http://www.gregorygarver.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 18, 2009
Hi--Your best bet is the south end of San Francisco, where you can jump on the freeways and get to your job. Some areas to consider are Bernal Heights, Excelsior, the Mission, and of course, those areas just outside SF such as Brisbane and Daly City.

In terms of apartment share prices, Craigslist will be your best bet. I'd actually recommend plugging in your criteria and seeing what neighborhoods pop up.
Web Reference: http://insidesfre.com
With the new UC Med Center and other organizations not only moving, but building brand new buildings in the area, Mission Bay has the potential to be fantastic. Currently, it's a trendy area with the most know neighborhood being the Dogpatch...lots of lofts, condos and some brand new stuff there as well. Also, both Hayes Valley, Mission Dolores, parts of the Mission and Bernal Heights are all wonderful places to live. Lots of places to go, eat, hang out, etc.
I'd say Daly City. But there are really quite a few. Cheapest and relatively safe huh?
How much danger will you tolerate to feel "relatively safe". You can be in the worst parts of the city and be "relatively safe".
There is a writer that is just back from a tour of duty in Iraq and is being interviewed on NPR about his book. He lives in the Tenderloin neighborhood and he says he loves it "the women are all so nice they are constantly asking him if he wants a date and there are so many young men that ask if he needs anything. It is the most friendly neighborhood he's ever lived in".
If you are an urban person you will be fine anywhere. Look to Craigslist for prices and get a map of the neighborhoods. The Bio/Phrama areas are in Mission Bay in San Francisco, Brisbane and South San Francisco on the Peninsula and Emeryville, North Oakland and South Berkeley in the East Bay. Genentech runs shuttles from Glen Park BART to the So SF campus.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 7, 2008
Jed Lane, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA