General Area in New Orleans>Question Details

Lilbit, Renter in New Orleans, LA

I'm from midtown Memphis. What area of New Orleans is similar? Or where do younger non-professional adults live?

Asked by Lilbit, New Orleans, LA Sat Feb 19, 2011

I am a bartender and a student moving to NOLA. I don't want to live in a touristy area. I love midtown Memphis which is really laid back and full of crusty old hole-in-the wall bars. It's the unpretentious part of town with local music scene. I'm having trouble finding straight-forward answers about neighborhoods in New Orleans. People say certain areas are horrible and full of crime. I hear the same scary things about the neighborhood where I live in Memphis but it isn't nearly as bad as people let on. I really need a local's view.

Answers

4
First of all, unless you plan on being a drug dealer, start a gang or go look for trouble within limited areas of NOLA you do not need to be as concerned with crime as the news claims to focus on.

So for the rest of us/the majority who are not scary monstors there are many areas that will fit your criteria:

1) Fauburg Marigny: a mix of artsy folks and everybody else and then some more artsy.
2) Midcity - rapidly changing, a mix of professionals, regular working class..covers the whole spectrum
3) Uptown - a wide area of another mix with more college students in the mix.

New Orleans is not Bourbon Street. Most of New Orleans has neighborhood bars and restaurants, and sometimes world class restaurants and bars featuring some of the best musicians in the world..who often play in these places for free.

New Orleans is not "vast" as is Memphis, or LA or so many other US cities.. New Orleans with 300 yrs of all kinds of people from everywhere tends to have more of a sense of place. It is within this sense of place one discovers while walking a neighborhood that best appeals to you.
Web Reference: http://iansellsnola.com
Their are a couple of areas that have a young, hip air about them.... As the other person said, your pocketbook can help you decide from them.
I would suggest:
1. The Irish Channel
2. Mid City
3. The Warehouse District
Hope that helps! Enjoy our great city!
Your pocketbook will have the answer . You can find crusty old bars in the French Quarter with equally crusty apartments to live in . They will cost more than most other areas . The equivalent in the Marigny ( just north of the French Quarter ...across Esplanade ) will be a little less . North across Elysian Fields is the Bywater where you will find it a little less again . Same scenario uptown in the Irish Channel , around Canal and Carrollton in Midcity, and in quite a few other neighborhoods . Choose a good agent ( or have a good agent in Memphis find you one here ) and sample what we have to offer . You won't be disappointed !
Visit a neighborhood several times to get a sense of belonging. Check out area statistics; real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods; for any crime concerns, do contact/visit the local authorities and ask all your questions, hear all there is to hear firsthand; oftentimes opinions are subjective, what may be good for one is not necessarily the case for another.