General Area in Houston>Question Details

hameed, Home Buyer in Houston, TX

I'm considering moving to Houston, but don't know where to start looking for a job in my field and hence where to live.

Asked by hameed, Houston, TX Fri Sep 20, 2013

I'm an IT Project Manager and would like to find a job where the commute is short (under 30 mins if possible) .

I have two teenage boys - older one is starting University next year and the younger one still has two years left before he goes to University.

1. I'm looking for advice on which area of Houston to look for a job - links to job boards in Houston

2. I don't care for the night life - I'm more interested in living in an area that is not really downtown - I prefer the open areas of suburbs, but that may limit my choices for finding a job in my field (or not).

3. Safe and quiet neighbourhood.

4. I want to buy a house - at least 3000 sq. ft in size and my budget is under $400K - big backyard, lots of trees, mature neighborhood, but not a very old house.

Suggestions, advice?

Answers

9
Nadeem Qureshi’s answer

I think the best home for your price range, and access to good schools and freeways/highways, would be Sugar Land. Homes range in price from $190's to the millions. You can find a very nice home in the high 200's and low 300's.

Please let me know if I could be of assistance - thanks,

Nadeem - Realtor

cell: 281-795-0715

email: nadeem@Qrealty.biz
Hameed,

I'm happy to help. If you are looking for a job in the IT field, send me a copy of your resume and I'll get you connected with a couple folks that I know that play in the recruiting space and see what I can do to assist. You just never know....

I think you may want to first consider focusing on which job you want to take. This will give you the center point from which you could do a range search to find neighborhoods that will work you you. Send me an email if you would like some help.

Respectfully,

Chris Schilling
Turbo Realty
Broker-Owner
chris@turborealty.com
Direct: 832-607-8073

You can also catch me live on Fox26 every Thursday talking about the real estate market in Houston. I've been doing the show for over 3 years now. Do a youtube search for me or turbo realty to catch one of the past 30-40 weekly episodes...
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 22, 2013
Thanks everyone for all the responses!

I'm getting my resume updated first and will then start to look for a job immediately after.
Flag Mon Sep 23, 2013
Hi Home Buyer in Houston, per my experience I want to suggest that you first find the job, move here to a high end apartment for 6 to 12 months, in order to know the city and the different areas and neighborhoods and then make the choice about where you want to live in. That also will give you the time needed to find the schools that best suit your child needs.

If you need assistance or further opinion please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards and good luck in your search.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 21, 2013
Thanks for all the responses folks. What is the weather like in terms of Hurricanes? Is it better to look for a job in Dallas instead - slightly north and less chance of Hurricanes?
The weather here is fine. I have lived in Houston for 35 years and we have only had two major hurricanes. We have also had two tropical storms but nothing I have found I couldn't live with. May I also suggest Pearland as a place to look at. It is only 20 minutes from downtown - in non-peak times. I think finding a job first would give you a better idea of where you should live. Dallas is fine also but they have other severe weather issues that we don't have. You may try the link below to research IT jobs in Houston.

http://jobsearch.monster.com/search/?q=IT&where=Houston__2C-TX&WT.srch=1&WT.mc_n=olm_skr_srch_ggl_geoind

By the way, Pearland has exemplary schools. I taught in the high school for 10 years so I know the district well. There are beautiful homes available here in your price range. If I can be of further assistance you may reach me at: 713-826-1852, rof45@hotmail.com
Rosemarie Furnari
http://www.rosemariefurnari.com
Flag Fri Sep 20, 2013
Hello Hameed,

I understand your predicament trying to get all your priorities together to benefit everyone in the household.

As you may well know there is a huge cluster of companies in the Houston Downtown area that very possibly could have your choice of jobs, so if you do decide to go with a competitive offer in that area, you are certainly looking at a commute that is definitely more than 30 minutes whether you are in Sugar Land, Katy or Cypress. The Memorial area will reduce the commute considerably - the houses will be older, but upgraded, mostly. Also if you want to stay within $400K in this area, you will find a limited number of homes.

If you decide to accept a position in the Energy Corridor area (along I-10 between Higway 6, Eldridge and Dairy Ashford) and decide to live in Katy, you will be close to the 30 minute commute. The same pertains to an offer you may select in Sugar Land for your job, and you choose a Sugar Land neighborhood to live in.

All above options have quiet decent neighborhoods, but ultimately you will decide what you really like and feel comfortable with once you visit the areas.

If I can answer any more questions for you, please feel free to contact me by phone or email as below.

Persis
REALM Real Estate Professionals
713-294-7747
persis.realtor@gmail.com
Hi there,

I absolutely agree that Sugar Land and Katy are fantastic areas outside of the busy city that would be great for you. You may also consider the neighborhoods west of the city (Spring Branch and Memorial Villages, off I-10, going towards Katy) or Bellaire. There are some great neighborhoods in this area and would make your commute pretty reasonable if you are working in the city.

Best of luck to you!! Let me know if I can help in any way.
As others have said, Houston is very large and spread out including the cities of Sugar Land, Katy, Cypress and The Woodlands, as well as hundreds of subdivisions. If you don't care to be downtown, mid-town, the Galleria, Bellaire, etc. for the nightlife, etc., I highly suggest Katy, Cypress or along I-10. Unfortunately, a 30 minute commute is considered very good in Houston so that could be a goal, but I wouldn't rule out a longer commute for the home and location that you really want to be in. You should have no problem finding a great home in your price range. Best wishes!
from the way you are describing what it is that you want Katy would be the perfect area for you and your family. there are literally tons of jobs that would suit and IT professional on the west side of Houston. I would definitely suggest firethorn in particular. My broker has a house there that has consistently gone up in value since she bought it. please call me at 281-605-8948 or you can visit my website at Katy real estate connection.com
Hello Hameed,
Congratulations on your decision to move to Houston.
There are several areas that meet your description in Houston.
There is a lot of industry construction going on in the Energy Corridor; lots of companies building or relocating here so there is a good possibility for finding something in this area.
I also know several people in IT so I could hook you up with them.
As far as housing goes, 30 minutes commute time in Houston is reasonable. Houston is large and spread out, so the job location would determine where the house should be if commute time is number 1 on your priority.
Please give me a call if you would like to discuss your upcoming move to Houston.
You will find Houstonians very welcoming!

Gabrielle Strout
Keller Williams Memorial
281-435-3729
Gabriellestrout@gmail.com