General Area in Los Angeles>Question Details

Jim, Home Buyer in Washington

I'm an East Coaster who has either lived in NYC or DC my whole life, and am getting ready to move to LA. Any?

Asked by Jim, Washington Sat Feb 23, 2008

advice on neighborhoods? I've been told santa monica or hancock park.

Answers

15
Hi Jim,
You can also check community info and relocation info from my website http://(www.sunnyhermoso.com). One of the best ways is to check different communities by comparing them. I hope you will find infomation helpful. Welcome to LA!!!
Web Reference: http://www.sunnyhermoso.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 28, 2008
Wow, lot's of advice on almost no info.

Married?
Kids?
How much do you have to spend?
Republican or Democrat?
Race can be a factor...
Where you work?
What hobbies/sports/activities?
Age?
Religion?

Whoever told you Santa Monica or Hancock Park is a little nutty. I can't think of may people/personality-wise where there would be a lot of 'cross-over' between those communities unless it has to do with religion.

Santa Monica is pretty jammy. it's a really weird cross section of old surfers and techie-yuppie advertising ppl. There are also the 'old-gard' who are the salt of what 'california living' is all about. It's very 'Liberal' and there's a lot of Yoga and alternative medicine. On the weekends it gets very busy and people aren't scared to walk around at all. Lot's of dogs. Basically the idyllic california, active, lifestyle. Very white not that much ethnic diversity.

Active, lefty, sunburnt, healthy-conscious, nouveau riche.

Hancock Park is HUGE, old, beautiful 2 story homes on tree lined streets. Like suburbia on steroids. I get the feeling it's a lot of 'old money'. West Hancock Park has a strong jewish community, with synagogs and old american cars, usually station wagons. East Hancock Park is slightly more asian with high end, shiny, luxury cars as it spills out into upper mid-Wilshire. South Hancock Park has some consulates and embassy and a small black contingent. Whenever I drive throught Hancock Park, the only people I ever see are the 'mow blow and grow' crew and the Hasidics on Saturday. Grand Old Hollywood.

Very diverse, serious, grand, old, central and the sound of sprinklers.

Hancock Park seems to be a little more happening lately as I've see some construction and it seems some homes are changing hands. So we'll see what happens.

Massive, sweeping, generalizations, but then again look how much time I saved you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 3, 2008
[quote]Jim, the answer to your question largely depends on your budget. The closer you get to downtown, the higher the prices. Also, LA is a very big area, so you'll need to consider where you'll be working as well.[/quote]

Eeeeep! Sorry, not true. Downtown LA is surrounded by some of the poorest parts of LA.

Sorry couldn't let that one slide.
LA is massive,.

If you are an east village type of guy: Silver lake, Venice, "maybe" hollywood are your best bet.
If you are a greenwich villager: Los Feliz, Culver City, Mid-city west/beverlygrove, west hollywood
If you are a Tribeca/Upper Manhattan: Brentwood, Santa Monica, Hancock Park
Lower East Side Circa 2006: Downtown LA
Outer Boroughs: Valley
Long Island: Pasadena, Studio City, Burbank, Glendale, South Bay

Nothing in LA is like NYC, but I think these are good guidelines in general.
Hancock Park is very nice--that is where the Mayor's Mansion is and Santa Monica is nice as well--I love it there. You can search the MLS for free at my website http://reolicensedspecialist.com or I can send you daily or weekly updates in the area you want to buy. All I need is your criteria: Price, area, features, etc.—and you will get daily or week updates directly from the MLS. I specialize in Foreclosures and I am a real estate broker for over 20 years.
I moved back to Los Angeles 6 months ago from New York. My recommendation is that you rent an apartment until you are more familiar with the various communities in Los Angeles. Fox Hills (Culver City) has large apartments with reasonable rent and it is centrally located between the beach and downtown LA. The people are very different in L.A. but the L.A. lifestyle and climate are wonderful. I hope you enjoy your stay!
If you are an artist or musician I recommend Silverlake, Los Feliz or Echo Park. If you are into the hustle and bustle go for Downtown. If you've got coin to burn and like being around alot of white folks Santa Monica is great. If you are a hedge fund manager/oil tycoon then Malibu is for you.
Web Reference: http://www.skyminor.com
Jim, the answer to your question largely depends on your budget. The closer you get to downtown, the higher the prices. Also, LA is a very big area, so you'll need to consider where you'll be working as well.
Los Angeles is very different from East Coast living, but many of us who live here, are hooked on the casual lifestyle and the weather. We have two kinds...good...and better.!As for the neighborhoods, each one is unique and you must experience them to choose. Hancock Park has lovely large homes, while Santa Monica is more of a Beach atmosphere. Each area has it's own charm, with its own loyal fans!
LA has lots of interesting and unique neighborhoods. Santa Monica is very fun, beachy, carefree. Hancock Park is more stately with its beautiful old homes and large front lawns. There are also a number of great neighborhoods in between: Mar Vista, Brentwood, Westwood, Cheviot Hills, Beverlywood, Laurel Canyon, to name a few. And don't forget "The Valley" with wonderful communities in Studio City, Valley Village, Sherman Oaks, Encino, etc.

Where you choose to live will depend on a number of factors including the following:
Where you will work, and what kind of commute you're willing to put up with;
Whether you are alone or with family (if kids, you'll probably be concerned with proximity to good schools);
Lifestyle preferences: if you're looking for ocean breezes, or amazing city views, maybe somehting rustic in the hills, or a more traditional, family neighborhood with manicured lawns and picket fences.

These are just a few things to consider. If you can swing it, my best recommendation would be to come out before your move and check out the various neighborhoods that interest you.

Good luck, and feel free to contact me if you need anything.

Maria Montoya
Venice Beach might be a fun option if you like creative, eclectic people. Laurel Canyon is beautiful. Melrose area has some nice old homes. You might even like to go as far as Pasadena for some gorgeous old homes with larger lawns. Lots of options and variables depending on price range and desires.
Hi Jim,
As the other agents stated, it is imperative to live in an area near your work. Los Angeles is a great place to live, but the traffic and the commute to certain areas can take several hours. I also moved here from DC area , McLean actually. Just like DC, traffic can be a problem from certain locations to work. Santa Monica is hard to commute to and from depending on where your work. If you want to discuss different areas, neighborhoods and the housing market in each area from someone who made the same transition feel free to call me (323)704.7130 or email us at info@myLARealEstateGroup.com. You can also check out the section on different communities on our web site at http://www.myLARealEstateGroup.com.
Alex
LA Real Estate Group
Jim,
Your distance to work is a serious factor. A commute to/from the valley can be a nightmare depending on where you live. In what city are you working?
John
Hi Jim,

It really depends on a number of factors, such as what is most important to you? Schools, proximity to work/beach/mountains etc. Both Santa Monica and Hancock Park are on the more pricey side of Los Angeles...how much do you have to spend and what are the most important factors of the neighborhood for you? From there we can start to figure out what neighborhoods will fit your needs and your budget.

Where will you be working? Do you have a family? How large of a home are you looking for?

Santa Monica is nice, but since its very near the ocean...the prices are fairly high, if money is no object and you like being near the beach, you could also check out Pacific Palisades, Malibu, Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach, Marina Del Rey...etc

Hancock Park is also a very nice area, more stately and grander older homes (for the most part)...very centrally located between downtown and the beach, again a pricey area. Other near by areas would be West Hollywood, Hollywood Hills, and Beverly Hills.

You can go to my website to check out available homes and prices at http://www.jodiefrancisco.com or call me and I'd be happy to discuss different areas with you.

Jodie
Santa Monica (Westside) is generally expensive and considered hip and young. Great schools, great breeze, cool watering holes and a wonderful nightlife. If Jimmy Buffett was a yuppy, he'd live here. If you can afford it, one of the most popular areas of LA County. HOWEVER, traffic on the 10 freeway will cut your life short. If you work Downtown, be prepared to pull your hair. Hopefully, your work is also in the Westside.

Hancock Park is a little oasis in the middle of Korea Town. Beautiful old mansions from the 1930s, large sidewalks, and then you turn the corner and you are in the middle of congestion and crowded sidewalks. Love the houses, hate the location - too much of a hassle fighting in town traffic. If you have children, stay away.

If you do not have children, personally I prefer Downtown L.A. The choice of condos/lofts are unmatched anywhere in L.A. County. Prices are more competitive than Westside. New lofts recently built or renovated include Luma, Elleven, Roosevelt, Eastern Columbia (beautiful art deco building) Sky and 1100 Wilshire. I love Downtown. Although nothing like NYC or DC, we are trying very hard to be the next destination metropolis.

If you are interested in living in downtown, please visit my website for more info.

Quinn Kiet
The L.A. Condo Store
Your Urban Living Specialists
http://www.condostorela.com
Web Reference: http://www.condostorela.com