General Area in 90017>Question Details

Icarus, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

I'm a new investor looking to for a mentor that can help me gain enough knowledge to hopefully turn this into a full time career.

Asked by Icarus, Los Angeles, CA Tue Apr 24, 2012

Answers

7
Shannon Chang 626-319-8545’s answer
The best way to learn is to do. I have successfully worked with several investors and am one myself. Sometimes I partner with other investors to react quickly to opportunities when they present themselves. I would very happy to work with you.
Hi. I live in Southbay, came in us 12-13 years ago. Started with no money, now I own 2 hotels and do lot of real estate transactions.
A construction background will help you a lot flipping. I highly recommend the materials at http://www.thenorrisgroup.com. Bruce Norris is the #1 educator on fix/flips in Southern California. He is an amazing guy.
I'm a Construction Management graduating May 5 from Central Michigan University with my B.S., looking to live in the Inglewood area working for Kiewit as an Engineer on the I-405 project.

I'm looking to do some flipping part time, I have a lot of residential construction experience. If you think I could be of any help feel free to contact me!

Travis Stokes
906-440-6139
stoke2te@cmich.edu
General rules of investing in real estate! (Flipping homes)
Many may ask the first question based on TV shows “how much can I make?” In our market it’s generally 10-20%. The response from the rookie investor is “but on TV they doubled their money and bought the home for pennies on the dollar!”
The general investment rules for my market (Kansas City)
1) On most REO properties investors are held back from bidding on properties for the first 15 days owner occupants get the first look and the first opportunity to purchase a foreclosed home.
2) When flipping homes it is generally better to flip in existing neighborhoods with 50 or more like and type similar homes. This helps with area stability and appraisals which are needed to sale the property at later point in time. Homes off the beaten path with huge swings in area value may cause an investor problem when the appraisal is done and FHA case # assigned.
3) Location, location, location this sells real estate and helps a home’s value and appraisal.
4) Schools go hand in hand with location; in our area the Kansas City Missouri school district has lost their accreditation from the State of Missouri. Flipping homes in this area may not be in the best interest of the investor since good schools are high on the list for most home owners.
5) Once the first look has passed for owner occupants and the process is opened up to investors, a new investor should tour 15-20 properties to try and get the feel of what’s available in the marketplace.
6) When making offers you will probably only have 1 out of 5 accepted. One of the reasons this happens is there are generally many people looking at the same property and multiple bids being offered by many investors, even when they ask for your final and best offer you may not be the winner even if you have the highest bid. The banks look at your ability to perform the contract and cash offers get an edge, followed by seasoned investors with a track record of solid performance.
7) When making an offer, time on the market pays a big role in what might be accepted. Many times the properties that we purchase are at 180+ days on market. The banks will negotiate a little harder on these properties. In the first 90 days they generally have a set system of price reductions over a period of time until they find a buyer, if you make an offer on a property during this time frame a general rule of thumb is no more than 10% off the current price, much more than that you are wasting everyone’s time. If you agent is smart and you are interested in the home the agent should (fishing expedition) leave feedback or make a call to the other agent with comments such as my client has no interest at x price but would have some interest at y price is there any way we can get together on this?
8) Other types of opportunities: houses in estates & trust’s, many times these are motivated sellers who just want to conclude business in a quick manner. Large discounts maybe available on these types of purchases.

These general guidelines were written for persons considering becoming an investor in real estate. If I can be of service or help you find a property please contact me at 816-809-1903 Thanks, Scott
Hi Icarus,
I have a free workshop for investors this saturday. Please email me for details.
HI Icarus,
I myself am an investor as well as an rea estate agent. Feel free to call me anytime, I'd be glad to help you make sense of all that is out there, and find what is right for your investing needs.
Best
Neal

Neal Grusky
DRE# 01890580
Hpremiere Properties
Real Estate and Financing
10940 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 1600,
LA, CA 90024 | Office:
(800) 652-1768
| Fax: (800) 652-7604
http://www.hpremiereproperties.com