General Area in Chicago>Question Details

Ukkev, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

I'll be moving to Chicago from the UK early June and I'm looking for advise on buy vs rent, areas, mortgages, etc...

Asked by Ukkev, Chicago, IL Tue Apr 24, 2012

I'll be in Chicago next Tuesday & Wednesday in the downtown Hilton. Can we meet ?
I'll. Be based on West Monroe but have to fly a lot. And I want to improve my golf, plus meet people as I'll be alone. Thanks

Answers

9
Bill J Deligiannis’ answer
Welcome to Chicagoland. No better place to be than Chicago in the summer. Although it is a fantastic time in our history to purchase and borrow money at historically low interest rates, you should likely consider renting for 6 months to a year so that you can familiarize yourself with the area and truly get a feel of where you would like to invest. Depending on your budget and size requirements, many great neighborhoods exist for a single person to live in where you can be close to your work and have access to numerous social outlets.

Should you need any assistance in your search, I'd be glad to help. Feel free to contact me - 630-788-5288
I would suggest that you buy in Hinsdale,Illinois, it is a wonderful area to live and east access to both airports, the Metra to downtown and all major highways. email me your time for viewing this great town, bbrace1@gmail.com
I would 100% rent to start. Chicago is a city of neighborhoods, and you have to see which one fits your lifestyle the best. This isnt something you can do right away. I would maybe try a short term 6 month rental. Explore the city, see what fits your needs and wants. Then pull the trigger on buying.

When your ready to buy, contact me! I work with a ton of international buyers.
Before real estate I relocated 10 times with corporations. Always new places. Always digging in and putting together a new social life in a new location. Challenging and invigorating. My practical experience on top of real estate experience might be useful. The rent vs buy decision is a piece of a larger picture. Let me know if I can help. 773/573-6531
Hello Ukkev,

Congrats on the move over here. I grew up outside Dublin and have been in Chicago since 92. I know all the good spots for an ex-pat to hang out in. I also worked in both the Chicago Hilton and Towers and the Palmer House Hilton. Now the most important part of your question was not answered. GOLF. All the other agents missed that !!! Apart from real estate you hit the nail on the head for my other passion.

Without getting into too much detail and asking a ton of questions back and forth I would be glad to meet up and discuss your specific needs further. I always feel a sit down gets more accomplishe than a string of emails. If you think you would like to work with me just give me a time next week that wiil fit your scheule best, and we can go from there.

I hope we get a chance to talk further. Best regards,

Ian Halpin
Jameson Sotheby's International Realty
773.531.4479
ihalpin@jameson.com
It all really depends on where you feel comfortable . If you like we can make a appointment and I can show you around . Possibly show you what you can get in either side of the city depending on your amount of purchase funds . Please call me at 708 925 4076 or by email @ diana@findingourbalance.com
Ukkev,

While it's a great buyer's market out there, there are many considerations for foreign buyers:
Downpayment'
Resources
Ability to obtain a loan
Budget
Lifestyle
Ability and willingness to maintain your own property
and then it moves into the typical things about location, types of purchase

Whiel some rents are starting to move up,
Rentals offers flexiblity of quick move in and the ability to move in about a year (some rentals allow shorter term leases). The downside is that you have less flexibilty in how your use and decorate your property and require a good relationship with your landlord.

The various neighborhoods in Chicago offers different atmospheres, vibes and rental and products to purchase and there are price differences within each neighborhood.

If I can help you explore these options further before or while you are here, please feel free to contact me: I have experience working, along with my team in all neighborhoods in the City and many of the suburban neighborhoods and I have office close to the Hilton downtown. In addition, we have experience with relocations for buyers and renters.

Kyle K. Chang, Broker
+01 1.312.593.6087 x7120
KChang@LoftsNHomes.com

You can make an instant appointment with me at Http://kchangrealtor.youcanbook.me
Call me or email me: 773-914-5309 or bbiederman@citypointrealty.com. An important consideration is your budget. Once we know that, I can advise you on all else. Barbara Biederman
City Point Realty
Excellent time to buy. Email me and I will email you back a pamphlet listing all the reasons why this Spring is THE best time to buy that we may see in decades. It is already more expensive to rent than buy in Chicago.
Jesse McGrath
@properties
312-545-2775
jmcgrath@atproperties.com