General Area in Levittown>Question Details

Mich B, Home Buyer in New York, NY

I live in Long Island, NY. Redoing my bathroom in the main floor. If I replace the bathtub with a shower will it still be considered a full bath.

Asked by Mich B, New York, NY Sun Aug 4, 2013

Answers

9
Years ago this was actually considered a 3/4 bath. However, nowadays it is considered a full bath. However, it will not have as much value as a bathroom with a tub in resale because as some have already pointed out many buyers with young children want a bathtub. Good luck with your renovation!
Yes, it's still a full bath but has less value than a full bath with tub.
It will still be considered a full bath. A half bath is a toilet and sink only. However, if you are considering selling your home, you may not want to make this change. Many people (especially those with young children) need a bath tub.

Tom Moser
Keystone Realty USA

Long Island's Commission Rebate Realtor
http://RefundAtClosing.com
someone brought to my attention that removing the bathtub from the main floor might not be a good idea if a young couple with small kids is looking to buy, although I have a small bathroom upstairs with a bathtub. This is a 4 BR 2 Baths house in LI.
We also have two bathrooms in our house. We left the main floor with the tub and the upstairs (near the bedrooms) with just a shower stall. IMO so long as you have a tub somewhere it suits potential buyers. If you have absolutely no tub you do limit yourself when re-selling the house.

Also, if you're new buyer is elderly they will greatly appreciate a walk-in shower stall, as bathtubs are treacherous for anone with limited mobility or balance issues. We are now looking for a place for my mother-in-law and bathtubs for her are a no-no.

When we re-did our house we made decisions based on what we needed and thought we will need in the future and any remodifications that need to be made to suit someone else will be left to the new owners when we eventually sell. For the past 12 years we have been very happy. I wouldn't want to live that long in a home that was built to suit someone else or the vast majority when it's my money going into it and my family living in it.
Flag Tue Sep 3, 2013
Yes, it would be considered full bath.....
In Long Island your new shower conversion would still be considered a full bath.

Joseph Brown
Century 21 American Homes
516-297-3146
http://www.c21amhomes.com/JosephBrown
well across the Hudson in NJ, we call it a full bath.......as long as there is a sink, commode, and a shower or tub, where one can bathe, - it's a "full" bath

wonder if bathrooms w/ both a tub plus shower are called "fuller" baths?

:)
Hi Mich

I can tell you in NYC that's consider a 3/4 bath but in some other parts of the country they consider it a full bath.

Thanks Felix
Some people, agents and MLS's are stricter about it:
We are seeing a lot of listings where it is counted as a FULL, if it has the big 3; with either a tub or shower.
I can tell you that my wife gets upset when we see a Master Bath with only a shower; they made a lot of them like that.