General Area in Bethpage>Question Details

Ed Hodkinson, Real Estate Pro in 11714

I keep reading that I should focus my marketing toward a certain group of buyers (ie first time home buyers). Should you not market to everyone?

Asked by Ed Hodkinson, 11714 Sat Dec 18, 2010

Answers

8
Anyone and EVERYone! You need to meet and greet all. This is a people business and you learn many things from diverse cultures, ages etc. Best of Luck!!
It is all based on your business plan. Some Realtors prefer not work with 1st time home buyers

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 18, 2010
Ed, as you have probably already figured out, there is a lot of competition here on Long Island. I am hoping that you are with an agency that mentors new agents, and can give you guidance in where to market. First time homebuyers are always good, but you shouldn't restrict yourself to just that. There are those who trade up, downsize, move out from the city after owning there, whatever.
You can do different kinds of things. Networking with those you know is always great. Let everyone know you are selling real estate. Go to as many local networking events that you can. Call expired listings and FSBO's to try to get listings. It doesn't happen overnight, but if you focus yourself on real estate, you will get somewhere. If you try to spread yourself thin, like by having another job, and doing real estate on the side, it doesn't work as well. Unless of course you have some kind of hook. There is someone who works for the same company that Anna does who is (or was anyway) a local music teacher in the high school, who always got tons of listings, and customers. People used to say that he used his teacher's salary, and I am sure you know how hight hat can be here on LI, to pay the taxes on what he earned from real estate.
Keep in mind that when advertising a listing, one needs to avoid making statements that would be in violation of Fair Housing Laws--when it comes to listings don't target specific groups, market to everyone. If marketing yourself, do whatever you are comfortable with, but still be mindful of governing laws.
I know what you are going through; when I first got into real estate, that's all I was told.

Ed, my interests vary wildly and I find it boring to focus on one aspect of real estate. I also find that I learn much more and view a bigger picture by doing it all.

I am involved in all aspects of residential, all aspects of commercial, educated and well trained for/and involved in business brokerage, residential & commercial property management and I even represent Disney for Vacation Club. I don't just focus on Long Island, but am expanding throughout NY and just added a PA license.

By being focused on real estate and not on "residential in Bethpage" it has allowed me to grow and expand. I became a broker immediately and after 10 years with Coldwell Banker, struck off on my own and my small but wonderful agent base expands from eastern Long Island into Brooklyn. We are always looking for agents who are interested in becoming well educated and who believe in our industry (as a service industry) the way we do.

Feel free to contact me directly for any further guidance...I have been coaching Realtors for years nationwide and teach at CW Post (real estate of course)...and would be happy to speak with you at any time.
Web Reference: http://GailGladstone.com
It depends what your expertise is and what you are comfortable doing. If you are marketing listings, you may want to design differnt ads that will appeal to different segments of the population for the same house. If you are marketing your services, such as buyer representaion. Market towards what you know and what you can do well. You can do a lot of things with average results or be teh master of 1 or 2.
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
Ed,

In the "age of specialization" it appears that many people benefit from focusing on an area in wich they are viewed as the "experts." Golf course communities, beachfront property, foreclosures, vacation homes, etc. are but a few of the common specialtiy areas.

With thi said, in my opinion, anyone that does not prepare themselves for being able to deal with any opportunity that comes in their direction (even if only from the referral standpoint) may find themselves unable to produce the numbers to make them successful.

Yes you should market to every one.You should also try to find a niche to specialize in like first time buyers ,seniors etc. When you have a listing you market the property by describing the property.
Web Reference: http://www.gitabantwal.com