General Area in San Jose>Question Details

Sundar, Other/Just Looking in San Jose, CA

I just passed the Sales person exam. Now where to start?

Asked by Sundar, San Jose, CA Wed Apr 24, 2013

Answers

12
Where are you located. I have 34 years in the business, including managing large real estate offices. Give me a call, no obligation, and I will tell you my opinion of where to start

Guy Berry
408-690-2998
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 2, 2013
Talk to several companies. I would recommend talking to an agent at a company before talking to a broker. That way you get the opinions of agents that are already at the company. You'll probably get a much more clear view of the company that way instead of talking to the owner. My two cents.

Work hard. Stay focused. Develop thick skin quickly. Don't take anything personal. Sit it open houses at least 2-3 days a month. Get used to rejection. Don't expect to make money quickly. Have $20,000 saved up before you go full time.

That should about do it. Good luck!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 24, 2013
Call my Team Leader, Jeff Hansen at Keller Williams, Campbell. He will share with you how our agents are coached to be successful.

408-506-0400
Web Reference: http://www.TerriVellios.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 24, 2013
I recommend starting with a big name company that offers thorough training opportunities. Your learning has not yet started...now you get to learn the real business.

Names like Prudential, Coldwell Banker, Century 21, and Keller Williams all come to mind as places to start. I encourage you to interview with several of them and learn about what they offer. Don't worry about splits right now...focus on learning the trade.

I agree and disagree with some of my peers.

First of all I disagree that you need to work 24/7 and on call all the time. I make my schedule accordingly and I only work 5-6 days a week and no more than 40 hours. I always take Sundays off and spend it with my little ones.

Before becoming a broker, I worked for 4 different offices (franchise and non-franchise; Intero, Remax, etc.) and non of them made a difference on my performance and sales volume as to be successful in real estate will depend 100% on you.

You need to be the type of person that can quickly adapt and be a "problem solver" or what I call a "troubleshooter".

My advise to you is that the very first thing you need to learn is about marketing.

Most agent, brokers and most businesses focus on the technical part of the job of what to say when a "prospect" calls you or let's make the best food in town. That is only part of the puzzle but the main thing is to learn how to have prospects to calling you and how to use technology and other resources to swift and sort these prospect without being on call 24/7.
It doesn't matter how good or knowledgeable you are because without prospects calling you then you'll be out of the real estate business in no time.
My mentor had 28 years in the business at the I started and she is very knowledgeable about real estate and mortgages but she didn't adapt quick enough when the market changed and now she's out of the business.

I'm currently looking for a buyer's agent that can work with all of my buyer. To find out more, send me an email to info@joseadame.com and will set a quick 20-30 minute meeting.

Cheers and don't let anyone tell you that you can't make it in this business because you can.

This is just my own view and understanding of the business and it is not my intended to offend any of my peers that have given their own personal view of their real estate business.

Jose Adame
Web Reference: http://www.JoseAdame.com
Mr. Jose. Thank you for a valuable reply to my question on Tulia. I am ready for an Initial discussion with you. Let me know your convenient time and date.
Regards
Sundar
408-806-6456
Flag Thu Apr 25, 2013
Sundar,

Do your homework on the companies that you want to interview, find what fits your objectives. Welcome into the business, i hope to work with you in the future.

Best of luck!

jose
Congrats on passing the exam! Feel free to contact us. We'll get you connected with the team leader in your area.

Jen and Mark Bowman
941-840-0117
It depends on what you want to focus on. There's commercial, land, property management, residential. Figure out what you want to do with it and then find a company who specializes in it. They say it'll take about 2 years for you to build up a good client base.
Congratulation, on passing your real estate exam…..now what???

Real Estate business can be tough without the right office and management to guide you every step of the way to your first completed transaction.

I have learned from experience, that just to see a home I needed a special (key card) to open the key lock-box. Then to get the key card, I needed to join the local MLS.
Here was some of the cost I personally occurred, when I first got my license in 2004.
A) Business cards - $100
B) Join National Association of Realtors - $599
C) Local Multiple listing service (MLS) - $375
D) Lock-box for key - $ 100.00
Total of $1174.00

WOW that is a lot of money then and it is Much higher cost now. That is where we come in. I have learned that you really only need three (3) key things to be successful in real estate today.
1) Great office management with Team Leaders
2) Ongoing training
3) Fast closing on loan, listing or buyer transactions

Our main purpose is to make you not a good agent but an “Above Average Agent”.

We will help and provide you with
• Local and mobile offices
• Advertising
• Training
• MLS service
• Most important, a dedicated Team Leader

Call one of our local recruitment offices and speak to a Team Leader today, to ensure your success for tomorrow. (866) 720-7778
Congratulations!

I would also recommend you to interview 3-4 real estate offices, be sure to they have a good training, coaching program. Don´t focus so much on the commission split, focus on learning business 1st.,

As broker, training i would be happy to seat down with you to give you more pointers.
Good luck to you.
Honestly,
Find another career. I work 24/7 on call all the time. It's one of the only careers you could work for months for somebody and they can just decide to not buy or sell and you don't get paid. Nothing you can do about it.
Don't get me wrong I love helping people but be prepared to work your butt off with no quarantees whatsoever. Find someone to coach and train you. KW is good for that.
Hi, Sundar:

CONGRATULATIONS! That is a great first step. I recommend that you interview with at least three real estate companies. It is important that you like the people that you will be around and that they have good in house training classes for new agents. That will help you get started on the right path with your real estate career.

I coached Realtors for 13 years before I got my license and have had the pleasure of working with every office in the greater bay area at one time or another. If you would like advise in this area, please don't hesitate to call me.

Good luck with your real estate career. May you sell MANY houses and help lots of awesome people find a great place to live.

Yours,

Vickie Chandler
DRE# 01443573
(408) 839-2125