Rich, Home Buyer in Suffolk County, NY

I have 2 possible retirement destinations in mind, Austin or Phoenix..anyone have any thoughts on this..are there just as many sunny days in Austin?

Asked by Rich, Suffolk County, NY Sun Jan 30, 2011

I made a typo in the last comment. I meant green, green, green, in Austin. Sorry!
Hi Rich,

I sure hope you are planning on spending some time in both places before you move to either one. Being that you are in New York there is a lot to consider. Are you east coast or west coast. Believe it or not this has a whole lot to do with it. Are you a desert rat (Phoenix) or a tree freak? (Austin) Do you like trees? (Austin) Do you mind humidity? (Austin) Do you mind a good dust storm every once in a while? (Phoenix). Lots of brown landscape is what you get in Phoenix. Lots of green, green, green, is what you get in Phoenix. It's not a matter of sunny days and weather as much as it is what you like in your everyday life. Do you like mountains? Austin has "hills" not mountains.

Myself, I have lived in both places. I like the west coast vibe. I'm all desert! Don't get me wrong, Austin rocks! It's a great place to live. Phoenix is a bit crime heavy. There are some alternatives to Phoenix however. New Mexico is a fantastic place to consider as well.

Good luck my friend.

Jonas Mancuso
Remax / Lakeland
My vote is for Austin. Austin is quirky and they like to "Keep Austin Weird".
Keep in mind that opinions are often subjective, therefore, before making any decisions, do revisit in person the areas of interest--you may also wish to consider renting in one of the cities first, in order to make sure your comfort level be reached.....