General Area in Summerville>Question Details

Jacquelyn Me…, Other/Just Looking in Summerville, SC

I have found the property taxes are very, very high. Is this the case only in Summerville or throughout the county?

Asked by Jacquelyn Means, Summerville, SC Wed Apr 27, 2011

Has there been public effort to lower these taxes? They are not an enticement for the community.

Answers

8
Dear Jacquelyn,
I just spoke with clients from Wisconsin yesterday. They were so impressed at how low the taxes were in Summerville. In Wisconsin, the property tax runs about $3,000 per $100,000 worth of value. In the Summerville area, it is approximately $1,000 per $100,000 worth of value.
Possibly, you could have been looking at property tax being applied to a non-primary resident property. The property tax jumps from a 4% assessment to a 6% assessment if it is not your primary residence. This results in a large disparity between taxes on rental property vs. primary residences.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 27, 2011
looking at relocating from GA. In GA senior don't pay the school portion of property taxes, is that true in the Summerville area?
Flag Tue Sep 1, 2015
First of all I'm not sure if you're being taxed as a primary resident (4% assessment) or as a second home/investment home(6% assessment) That will make a huge difference. It also depends on what district/city or municipality you're in because millage rates do vary a good bit. If its a primary residence make sure you have applied for a 4% assessment. Taxes for the Summerville area are generally not bad at all for the Charleston area.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 27, 2011
You might check as to whether the tax rate on those properties was the 6% non-residential rate vs. the 4% owner occupied rate. The easy way to think of it is that the taxes are almost double if the property is non owner occupied and thereforte considered by the county as an investment. Hope this helps!
Web Reference: http://www.WilliaStover.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 27, 2011
As a former New Yorker I view these taxes as extremely low considering I have family paying upwards of $17000 a year. Many have mentioned, if you plan on living in the home you will only be at 4% and will also qualify for tax credits that non-residents wouldn't qualify for. So if you plan on living in it you will only be paying a fraction of some of the prices you've seen.
There have been efforts to lower taxes. They want to raise sales tax to 8% in Dorchester county and provide tax credits to property owners. It fails to pass each year mainly because it hasn't been fully explained to the public. All the people hear is "raise to 8%" and then they vote no. I myself had to dig really deep to find out what they were actually proposing. Maybe next year...
As many of the answers have indicated, it makes a big difference whether it's your primary residence or not. Primary residence has a 4% assessment ratio while investment property has a 6% ratio. However, it ends up being more than 3 times as much taxes b/c you also get a huge rebate with the property tax relief credit that non-occupying owners don't get. In general, for primary residences, SC, Charleston, and Summerivlle have extremely low property tax rates compared to many places in the country. Actually, it's more like $600 for $100k home.
Jacquelyn, are you talking about your own home or just in general that you think the taxes is high in Summerville? Besides the fact that primary residence receives the lower 4% tax, the township of Summerville has higher taxes than the county anyway. But you also gets public water, sewage systems and garbage pick-ups, etc. As Foster mentioned, our property taxes are still among the lower ones in the country. But, no one wants to pay more taxes than others, I will be your cheer leader; if you would like to get some kind of movement started to lower the taxes.
It is interesting that SC charges different taxing rates between owner occupied and investment properties... Please don't let the state of Texas hear about that idea!

It's more than real estate. It's RAYL-Estate!

Brian Rayl, REALTOR®, e-PRO, SFR
Keller Williams Elite Dallas Park Cities
972-949-4222
Brian@Rayl-Estate.com
Web Reference: http://brianrayl.com
With the current economic conditions, the states are hurting just as much as the people. Many states have resorted to increasing property taxes in an effort to fill budget deficits. Taxes are different for every county and even every city. You should be able to find a list of taxation rates with the county or state housing authorities to help you. The state of Texas where I am from, for example, does not have a state income tax, so our property taxes are higher than the national average.

Keep in mind that these taxes go to fund schools, roads, police, fire, EMS, and other vital services that are provided to a community. There has to be a way to pay these some how.

Sorry I cannot be more upbeat, but I hope this answer help you.

Brian Rayl, REALTOR®, e-PRO, SFR
972-949-4222
Brian@Rayl-Estate.com
Web Reference: http://brianrayl.com