General Area in Bellevue>Question Details

Mariner1, Home Buyer in Bellevue, WA

I have an opportunity to work in Seattle downtown and am considering moving my family over. I would like to settle down in Bellevue area to rent first

Asked by Mariner1, Bellevue, WA Sun Apr 1, 2012

before I buy a house within a year. I would prefer the same school district for kids (1 in elementary and the other in daycare) between rental and moving to house. For a price range of up to 700K, which area of Bellevue would you recommend? Thanks for your help.

Answers

9
Karen Mcknight’s answer
Hi Mariner1,

First, the Bellevue school district covers most of Bellevue. Bellevue High School and Newport High School have been rated in the top 10 in the U.S. and the feeder elementary schools are excellent. There is a little overlap with Lake Washington school district on the north edge and Issaquah school district on the south. All three are great school districts.

My daughter-in-law happens to own Sundance Preschool which has two campuses in Bellevue and is one of the highest rated Preschools in the area. The age range is 6 months through kindergarten.

Which part of Bellevue you want to live in depends on your commute. For the I-90 commute, Cougar Mountain, which includes Lakemont and several other quality neighborhoods, built in the 1990s and 2000s, is mostly 20 to 30 minutes.

If you choose West Bellevue and are open to homes that were built in the 50s, 60s, 70s, you can commute over State route 520 and be in Seattle in 15 minutes. If you live further east in Bellevue, the houses were mostly built in the 80s and 90s.

On my website, http://www.buyandsellseattlerealestate.com , there are links to great information on the different communities and there are also lifestyle demographics after you hone into specific neighborhoods. I have sold this "Eastside area" and worked out of Bellevue for over 20 amazing years, so am happy to answer any specific questions you may have.

Warm Regards,
Karen
Sounds like you are talking about the Somerset neighborhood. It has both the top rated Elementary & High School - Somerset Elementary and Newport High School. Most of west side of zip code 98006 would be in the area. This neighborhood as well as part of Newport Hills have easy access to I-405 and I-90 which will take you right into Seattle. Would love to help you find a rental.
Bellevue has a Spanish Immersion program that might interest you for the younger child. It runs from Kindergarten through 12th grade. My 17 year old son has been inspired to become either a Spanish teacher here or an English teacher in a Spanish-speaking country. It's all the same Bellevue curriculum translated into Spanish. The program recruits highly-motivated teachers from all over the country. The elementary school is called Puesta del Sol and the Eastgate or Somerset neighborhoods would situate you best for it.
Mariner1,
Welcome to the northwest. There are some great options in Bellevue. I've attached a link to the State Superintendent School Report Card so you can compare some of the Elementary schools based on test scores. I've had a recent client select their school preference and then the home. While the School district as a whole is good, the difference between the top schools and the bottom may be broader than many think.
You may also want to consider Kirkland, Issaquah and Sammamish. They also have great schools there and have express buses to downtown. Many living in all three communities work downtown.
First off you can't go wrong in Bellevue.....so many terrific neighborhoods to choose from. One question would be what type of communities do you prefer? For example, do you like newer homes with parks and amenities nearby or do you prefer more established communities that might offer more dated homes but larger lots? There are so many variables. Lakemont has always been a popular community and Bridal Trails another very popular community. Here is a link to real estate and neighborhood information regarding Bellevue, that you might find helpful: http://www.searchseattle.net/bellevue.php -- you can check our rentals and homes for sale and can even narrow down to Elementary school to ensure staying in the same proximity! There is also a link for Bellevue School District and school ranking info that you might find helpful.

I understand you are just starting the process but if you want to spend a quick 5 minutes on the phone I could probably at least point you in the right direction - so feel free to give me a ring 425.876.6164

Best of luck!
At the top end of your price range, you will only find 2 homes on the West side of 405 in the Bellevue area / Bellevue school district as of today. 14 options to buy on the East side of 405 including a few South of I90. With that said, you've got a good amount of area in Bellevue to consider but to stay close to the same schools for the next move, I clearly recommend East of 405.

Supporting that recommendation, today's rental inventory (with only Bellevue / Bellevue Schools included in parameters) show 1 home West of 405 and 10 East of 405 with 3 of those located South of I90. This is a match! We can get more specific with more criteria. Contact me anytime for further assistance!

-Andy Alberts 425-891-9004
Andy@AndyAlberts.com
You cannot go wrong really with any of the schools in Bellevue. Of course some are better then others & all are different. from each other a little. I would recommend that you check out some of the elementary school websites & then pay a visit to some of the schools. You also want to pay attention to the style of neighborhood you want to live in & that can only be determined by a visit. Let me know if you need any help with that if you come here. 206-841-9976
Jirius Isaac
Based on the MSP Reading & MSP Math combined scores, Medina (zip 98007) and Somerset (zip 98006) elementary of Bellevue are both ranked in the top 10 of all Washington elementary schools. Medina was ranked #4 and Somerset was ranked #7 in 2011
I currently live in the Lakemont area of South Bellevue and love it. It has an on/off ramp to I-90 which goes directly into downtown Seattle and is not tolled. You are within an easy drive to Issaquah (6 minutes) Downtown Bellevue (7 Minutes) and downtown Seattle (20 min - without rush hour). We moved from a nieghborhood 7 blocks away but wanted to stay in the same area because it is so convenient. Neighborhood values have held strong. There have been minimal short sales and foreclosures. Great local parks and newer commercial strip including neighborhood Starbucks! For specific questions, please feel free to email me! scott@pillarnorthwest.com