General Area in Louisville>Question Details

Louise, Other/Just Looking in Louisville, KY

I have a small house that is in need of repair, I want to sell it because I don't want to make the repairs.

Asked by Louise, Louisville, KY Tue Jul 15, 2008

the house isnt much, but the location offers privacy, solitude, and is located in a very safe neighborhood. What is the best way for me to get the most money I can for this little house?

Answers

5
Joe Hayden Real Estate Team’s answer
You have given a good basic description of the situation, but I would need to ask you a few more questions, plus preview the home, to give you a complete answer. It is just too hard to give a definitive answer through this forum. Please contact me through my website and I will do my best to help you out. There is no charge for consultation...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 15, 2008
Louise,
You would need to contact a local realtor in your area. Just call them and have them come out to your home and do a CMA (comparative market analysis) of your home. This will tell you the approximate market value of your home. Now you do not have to sign anything and call more then one agent. You need to interview these agents for the job of selling your home. Sit down now and write down your thoughts and concerns. Talk to the prospective agents and tell them your concerns. Chose the one you feel the best about and that gives you the answers you like.

Hope this helps,
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 15, 2008
Louise, there are some drawbacks to selling your property in it's current "as is" condition, though this is always an option. First, you have to evaluate whether or not the property will qualify for financing in it's current condition. If the electric or roof are deficient, you will be severely reducing the buyers that can qualify for your house to potential cash buyers or buyers with a much larger down payment. Pricing the property properly is always the key, and I do agree that getting several opinions will help you be comfortable that you are in the right range. But, make sure that the agents can substantiate the values that they are giving you with actual properties that are listed have recently sold. Don't fall into the trap of hiring the agent that gives you the highest price, because that is the number you wanted to hear!
Louise, I agree with Joe and Larry below. In order to accurately price your home so that it will sell in the current market, I'd need to preview the home and run a CMA (market analysis) to see how it is in comparison to the other homes in your area. In addition to pricing it well, you'll also want to make sure that your house looks its best. I'm not suggesting making repairs, but a good cleaning, making sure any clutter is put away, all of the counters are clear (including things like blenders, toasters...), etc. These will not only show your house in its best light, but will also help your little house appear larger. These things will also help you get more money for your house.

If you'd like some more ideas or if you're interested in having a market analysis done on your house, I'm happy to help.
Web Reference: http://www.KellySellsKy.com
The best way to sell your property, is to list it at 15% or more below similar properties in that neighborhood. You can list is as a "fixer-fixer-fixer" and you will get buyers IF it is properly priced.