General Area in 03060>Question Details

Chris Hendri…, Both Buyer and Seller in Noblesville, IN

I have a job opp in Burlington, MA. I'm considering moving to the Nashua/Pelham, NH area. Is that a reasonable commute? Thoughts on that area of

Asked by Chris Hendrickson, Noblesville, IN Fri Dec 31, 2010

NH? My wife and I have begun to look at real estate in that area (Nashua, Pelham, etc.). It seems that our dollar will stretch a little further there than down in MA or closer to Burlington/Boston. Google maps says the commute is very reasonable from Nashua (about 35 minutes). I also see that Nashua is on the Top 100 (#97) communities to live in the country. Seems promising. Would appreciate any info you could provide to help make the transition from the Midwest a smooth one.

Answers

8
Hi there! For starters, getting to the Burlington Mall from my home in Hudson, NH (neighboring Nashua) can take 20 minutes on some days. On other days, with snow, traffic, accidents, it could take 2 hours (this has happened).
I have lived in both NH and MA and can tell you the convenience of MA when working there is worth so much. The quiet, less traffic and congestion on the other hand, takes some getting used to.
Nashua is very nice, though isn't necessarily the country any longer. There are some parts that are very quiet and tucked away, though not all.
Keep in mind also, that if you work in MA your payroll has a MA tax deduction, no matter if you live in NH or MA. So with commuting time/gas/taxes, you may want to weigh it all out.
I would definitely suggest visiting Burlington, MA, taking a drive to/around Nashua, NH and seeing what you prefer. What it all boils down to is that you can make this happen, it's just all in your preferences.
Other nice neighboring towns to Burlington (that are on the quiet side) are Carlisle, Bedford, Reading, Andover, Dracut and Tyngsboro, MA.
Though the house prices in NH seem lower, the property taxes also can be much higher than you would pay in MA, depending on the town.
Just a few things to confuse you even more ;)
Overall, you should visit and stroll around, see what you prefer and do not before jumping in!
Good luck!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 24, 2012
Hi Chris, Congratulations on the job offer! The commute depends on what your hours will be, 35 minutes during off hours and 45-55 minutes if your the 8-5 kind of job. Do you have kids that need their dad to coach after work? Since I have my license in MA and NH can tell you this market has lowered the prices of homes around the Burlington area as well. Overall Nashua was voted #1 two times by Money Magazine, great city that Ive worked in for 20 plus years. Pelham much smaller but is growing and Ive enjoyed living in for 21 years. So either one is a win win for you. Good luck with the new job and call me when your ready! 603-508-0110 Sheila Cheney
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 31, 2010
Hi Chris,
Having traveled many times across the country in our Motor home, first let me tell you that we have a much faster pace of life over here. It will take some getting used to. I know this because when we spent time in Indiana and people talked to us like we were always there, and treated us in a slow, careful, "how are you doing" friend manner, it was a great treat for us.
That said, I have lived in Pelham for over 30 years. I grew up in Woburn, which is the next town to Burlington. My parents still live in Woburn and I just listed my friend's house on the Burlington line. I have to do the commute all the time and love to visit with my folks, and of course shop the Burlington Mall.
I can tell you that the commute from the side of Pelham I am on (the Hudson/Nashua side), is about 40 minutes to the Burlington Mall. That is at a time when there really is not very much traffic. Going with the traffic, which you would do from Pelham/Nashua to Burlington, it can be up to an hour. I realize that is assuming that you would have normal 8-5 type hours.
Pelham is a great small town. (Of course I am prejudice, as I am the Chairman of Pelham Economic Development). We have a community feel!
Nashua is also a great city. You can walk downtown and feel very safe. During the summer there are many restaurants that have the outdoor cafe where you can eat and people watch. Always fun!
I am licensed in both MA and NH so I can help people on both sides of the border. I love my job, and coming from an RN background, I am a very good listener, have great people skills and tend to nurture a bit. : )
You should know that the taxes are very different in both states. In NH we have a relatively high property tax, but no other taxes. In MA there is an income tax (so if you live in NH and work in MA, like my husband does, you pay that too!), property tax is pretty stable, but a bit less in many places than NH, and a state tax on everything else but clothing. Really it evens out in the end, as where you find the home that feels like home, the cost is relative.
I would love to help you in any way I can. You can call me with any questions at 603-490-6448 or email me at lisa.landry@verani.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 31, 2010
Chris it is a very easy commute. Both area's are have great neighborhoods. Home prices are very affordable. The greater Nashua area is one of the best places to live in the country. Please feel free to contact me if you would like me to send you listings that meet your wishlist. I would be more than happy to work with you.

Scott Godzyk
Godzyk Realty Group

The #1 Trulia Agent in New Hampshire
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 31, 2010
Hello Chris,

Depending on where you're commuting from in Nashua, NH to Burlington, MA Your commute is probably going to average 40-45 minutes. Traffic into the Burlington area during commuting hours will likely increase that time frame.

I'm a licensed broker in both NH and MA and assist buyers who are looking in both states. There are pro's and con's to living in NH (vs. MA) but if you're going to work in MA, you might want to consult with a tax professional on how that will impact your finances. I believe that if you work in MA but live in NH, you still have to pay MA State Tax. Additionally, NH property taxes are typically higher than in MA.

When selecting a community to live in, it's important to weigh all the components that factor into the actual cost of living there.

I'd be happy to answer any further questions you may have. Don't hesitate to pick up the phone or drop me an email.

Catherine Condon
Broker, MA & NH
Integrity Residential Brokerage
(978)433-0000
Web Reference: http://www.integrity-rb.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 31, 2010
It sounds like you've been doing your homework. The greater Nashua area is home to a lot of people who make their living in northern Massachusetts for the very reasons you have cited. Home prices are very reasonable and the quality of life is much higher. We offer cleaner air, excellent schools and hospitals, a much lower crime rate as well as easy access to metropolitan Boston, the seashore and NH ski areas. Please contact me for any information you may need about Nashua, Pelham and surrounding communities. I look forward to assisting you in any way I can.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 31, 2010
I see that this question is old, so in all likelihood you've already realized it will take about an hour from Nashua to Burlington during rush hour, depending on where in Burlington you're going.
It is a reasonable commute, and I see this note is old. Still, having been a high tech person in past life, I would seriously consider living closer to work, less you know all the back roads to and from. Where there is an accident on the major highways, it always turns from a 20 min to an two hour and 20 min drive.
I love Mass. Great People, Great Jobs, Great place to live and such, miss the high tech. Still, it depends upon your driving pain factor, can you put up with a longer drive or an over night stay if something happens? Hope your move was a painless one.