General Area in Los Angeles>Question Details

disheensmith, Renter in Chicago, IL

I am single mom looking for a safe, diverse, kid-friendly and affordable neighborhood. What areas should I consider?

Asked by disheensmith, Chicago, IL Sat Feb 15, 2014

I am single mother and I plan to relocate to LA from Chicago by the end of the summer pending upon me securing a job first. My primary job will be teaching, however, I hope to get in a writing fellowship at one of the studios. So I am looking for an area that wouldn't give me a extremely long commute to work or the studios. However, being close to my job and my child's school will take priority. I have a colleague that is trying to help me find a job at the moment but he needs to know what areas that I want to live in so that he can locate schools that are close to that area. However, I know nothing about L. A. regarding the best places to live. So I really need a person who specializes in relocation to help guide me in this decision making process. I am able to come out in April to do a preliminary search and can meet with agents and visit neighborhoods. Please help!

Answers

4
Where are "the studio's?" We have them in Hollywood, the San Fernando Valley(Burbank) and West Los Angeles. These are all very different areas and far from each other, so it depends upon where you will be working. IF you are going to be in West Los Angeles area, I vote for Culver City!
Hi Disheen, The Carpenter School district in Studio City is one of the best!
Studio City and Sherman Oaks are fairly close to the studios as well as being centrally located to other hot spots as well. Im a relocation specialist In the San Fernando Valley if you have any further questions please let me know and Best of Luck!
Hi Disheen !

My office is in Burbank,Burbank has great public school ! I had my 2 kids go there through all grade levels ! Burbank is close to all studios. If you have any questions please let me know .Good luck !
I know a lot about relocating to Los Angeles and can help you. LA county is a sprawl metropolis- meaning there are many diverse neighborhoods, spread over large land area. So to narrow it down I'd need to know more. But in general Affordability depends on if you're looking to lease or buy, in some neighborhoods it is cheaper to rent, while buying is a premium and vice versa. What's your price range? (Rent for a 2/2 can range from $1400 to $2300) Which studios are you referring to (culver city, Burbank, century city, Hollywood) ? Culver city has great schools with high API scores, so does Burbank.