General Area in Atlanta>Question Details

Robert Ramey , Home Buyer in Atlanta, GA

I am retired military and spouse is currently in the military and will be station at the meps station in forest park, Ga

Asked by Robert Ramey , Atlanta, GA Mon Mar 11, 2013

Want to buy retirement home in the Atlanta area. Preferably a good neighborhood with a good school system. Any suggestion will help amount any where from 250k to 350k

Hello Rramey37,

Congrats on your new base station!! As the wife of a former veteran I know that it's always fun and exciting to move to and check out a new place. Atlanta is full of life, activities and opportunities. On the flip side, I also remember PCS-ing to be quite daunting trying to figure out where to live, understanding the areas, knowing the travel routes and grasping the housing markets. You may have already decided on a Realtor to help with your move, but if not I would l ask that you consider me. I will be happy to help you and your family get settled and find the perfect home. For more info about me you can visit my website

Thanks for your sacrifice and service to our country and many Blessings!

Amie Bozeman, Realtor
Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate Metro Brokers
First of all, I want to thank you and your wife for serving and hope all is well for both of you. However, there are a variety of communities that may be availiable to you, but I would like to know when will you be in the atlanta area so we can discuss the vitals of your Retirement Home. If you will, please give me a call at 770-356-9746. Thanks!
Hi Rramey37,

I want to thank you and your wife for your service to our country, and I hope your wife is not in harms way.

As Lowell pointed out below, the place to start is with a lender, if you have not looked into this yet. If you need a referral, let me know.

When you say Atlanta area, I assume you mean all of metro Atlanta - if so you have some excellent choices for great schools, a safe community, and lifestyle options that meet almost any need.

If, you mean in the city limits of Atlanta, then your choices become much more limited, because of school quality and neighborhood safety issues among others.

I do not suggest the south side of Atlanta or anywhere on the South side of Atlanta period, except for Fayette County/Fayetteville. I know agents will disagree with me but I have lived here over 35 years and know the city better then most. I do not push an area just because I live there - I find out want works best for my clients.

I also won't push or "sell" any home on you - I will evaluate the structure and major systems of every home for you Before you make an offe,r and advise you when to run, before you get emotionally invested, and blow $300-$400 for an inspector.

If you want an agent/generalist, you have 30,000 to select from. If you want a true expert who will tell it like it is, and act as your advocate, please call me to discuss further.

Robert Whitfield
Professional Buyers Broker
New Home Construction Expert
ICC Code Certified Building Inspector
Advantage Realtors
Corporate Relocations | New Construction | Luxury & Investment Properties
A broker would be nice. I would like to live more on the out skirts of Atlanta than in the city. The commute can be anywhere from 45 min to the meps station where my wife will stationed at. We are willing to rent until we are comfortable with the purchase. Since this is the last one we want to make sure we do it accurately. Thanks
Flag Tue Mar 12, 2013
How old are your kids? How far of a distant your spouse is willing to commute? Your best bet is to hire a buyer 's agent to help you with your purchase, he or she will have your interest and will be able to assist you in every step of thev way. Good luck and if you decide to have a realtor representing you please consider me .
If you are looking for a Realtor who is going to lookout for you and your family's best interest and is not just about making a commission, please send me an email at
There are a lot of great options in the area. I am originally from Forest Park and have lived in the Atlanta metro area almost my entire life and am a former military spouse as well. I would love to help you find your new home. Please feel free to give me a call any time so that we can discuss your move in more detail and find the best possible home for you and your family.
Sherry E. Bailey
Keller Williams Realty First Atlanta

Thank you for your service in the military. It would be a pleasure to assist you. I live in Grant Park (where the Zoo is, and just east of Turner Field), but having worked in the home building industry, I am familiar with neighborhood west to Douglas County and south to Newnan. With you budget, you have many options. One of the first things to determine is what kind of life-style you want to pursue in retirment and where you can find it.

Give me a call and we can begin the discussion.

Dave Herren
Best Atlanta Properties
Also, do not forget about the "Local Info" tab at the top of the Trulia page. Great info on Communities, Schools, Crime Rate, etc.

Best of Luck!!!!!
Web Reference:
Thank you and your spouse for your service.

Your family sounds like you should qualify for a VA loan if needed.

If you are looking for a good school system I would stay away from Clayton County where Forest Park is located. Clayton County has lost its accreditation. I would suggest Grant Park. It's a beautiful neighborhood with good schooling. The neighborhood charter school is one of the best and about 15 minutes from where your spouse will be stationed.

There are many other options as well all around Atlanta. If you are unfamiliar with Atlanta I would be happy to go over what all the different neighborhoods have to offer. Feel free to contact me anytime. I would be honored to help.

Tyler Willis, REALTOR®
Keller Williams Realty Intown Atlanta
621 North Ave NE, Suite C-50
Atlanta, GA 30308
Office: (404)541-3500
Direct: (678)656-5524
We think the best way to determine an area in metropolitan Atlanta to reside or retire, Rramey37, particularly if you work on the South side where I grew up, is what length of commute are you comfortably able to daily make? Secondly, you might consider qualifying the schools, both private and public, in that district. Please call, text or email if we can provide further assistance. Good Luck!

Michael Hammond
Hello Rramey37, thank you for your inquiry about a retirement home in the Atlanta area. I would
be pleased to assist you.

Do you have an idea of your desired timeline to purchase? Do you like a particular floor plan? A
style? With just a few questions, we can get you headed in the right direction in your search.

My contact information is below. Please feel free to email/text or phone.

I look forward to your reply and to helping you.

Again, Thank You!

Elizabeth 'Beppy' Walton, Realtor
Keller Williams Buckhead
C/404 234 9418; eFax/404 604 3965
Probably purchased this summer.I really don't know any floor plans at this time. Spouse would like a big kitchen and bathroom in master. All I need is finished basement to relax in.
Flag Mon Mar 11, 2013
There are several good districts a little south of the city if you are not looking to live in the City of Atlanta, areas like Peachtree City. Fayette County is also known for good schools. Just depends on what area is to your liking and if you want to be within the "City Limits"

I am assuming you are seeking a VA loan? I have to clients getting VA loans currently, very favorable plans. Please let me know if I can be of assistance to you.

Thanks for your brave service to our Country!
Web Reference:
Yes we will be using va loan. The cities you mention have homes around the price I'm looking for. Also how far are they from forest park, ga the meps station
Flag Mon Mar 11, 2013