General Area in Reston>Question Details

k_bibbins, Renter in Springfield, VA

I am relocating to the northern Virginia area and I will be working in Arlington, I am looking for a 2-3bedroom, 2ba townhouse or single family house

Asked by k_bibbins, Springfield, VA Sat Jul 28, 2012

I am single and do not need to be around kids, my price range is from $1200-$1700, in Reston or Springfield

Answers

4
You should have no problem locating what you are looking for. There are many ways to search, and hooking up with a Realtor is a great way to expedite the process. Don't rule out any of the search engines available. Look on all of them- Craigslist included. As Ms. Manning said in her reply, always use common sense and remember Craig's List postings can be scams. Tax records are public, you can go to the county website and look up the owner of the property to ensure they have the right to lease it. Do not accept documents the potential Landlord gives you as proof, do a little research yourself! In a market as large as Northern VA it is extremely helpful to work with a professional to help guide you. They also have access to the Multiple Listing Service which is the best resource for legitimate listings.
Glad to help if you are still in the search process!
~Mickey
I can assist you in finding a townhome in your price range in both Reston and Springfield. In terms of qualifying for a Rental property, a common formula used is the monthly rent amount time 40. The total must be equal to or less than the total annual household income. For example, if the rent is $1700 x 40 = $68,000.00. Household income may need to be at least that amount.

I respectfully disagree with the notion of looking for housing on Craig's List. Craig's list is best for people looking to rent one room in a shared property. The "two out of three" homes figure is incorrect. Only 20 percent of all housing in the Washington, DC metro area is leased or sold "by owner". Beware of scams on Craig's list and do not send money to anyone who asks for it up front. Do not give anyone money on Craig's list until you have checked the tax record and verified they have the legal right to Lease the property and that the property is fully available.

I specialize in relocations and would be happy to help you!
Helen thank you for your response, I will be in the area this weekend and all of next week. May I contact you?
Flag Sun Jul 29, 2012
I'm going to be realistic: two out of three rental single family homes and townhouses for rent in Fairfax County are not listed with a real estate agent. The best single source of finding these is Craigslist. A lot of these are not what I would call in good shape, but, with your desired price range, the way rents have gone up in Northern Virginia, the odds of you finding a really nice property are slim. Let me give you an example: the Section 8 HUD-supported rent program in Gainesville, Prince William County, is paying $1700/month for small 3-bedroom townhouses.

A good way to check out the homes listed with a real estate agent is our team's Web site, http://www.betterhomesva.com. This ties into our regional multiple listing service.
Thanks, I have found some on Craigslist within my price range, however I will be in the area this weekend and will take a look around.
Flag Sun Jul 29, 2012
Call me at 703-625-6731 and I can assist you in finding a good rental.
I will call you and set up an appointment this week
Flag Sun Jul 29, 2012