General Area in Memphis>Question Details

Billy Beard, Home Buyer in Saint Louis, MO

I am possibly relocating to memphis in next couple of months but am unfamiliar with the area. I have a

Asked by Billy Beard, Saint Louis, MO Thu Jun 12, 2008

family and my office will be downtown but I would like to be about 20-30 miles away from there. What are the best areas for families and great schools?

Answers

20
Downtown contains one of the nation's premier TNDs (traditional neighborhood development) in Harbortown, a great walkable, friendly, convenient community with greenspace right on the river. Its an amazing jewel in an urban core. There's really no need to take on a 20-30 mile commute with $4 gas when you have fabulous neighborhoods in Midtown and East Memphis much closer. It's a buyer's market now...and also a terrific time to build custom...bargains to be had all around. You'll love Memphis; look forward to having you here.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 11, 2008
Hey Billy, alot of people are choosing Desoto County that want to be outside of Memphis. I live in Desoto County and my kids attend Olive Branch which in my opion is a great school. Here is a great site that gives you all the stats on Olive Branch and other counties.
http://www.bestplaces.net/city/Olive_Branch-Mississippi.aspx
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 24, 2008
I'm not quite sure why you want to live so far away. Have you really explored the city and seen the neighborhoods? There are some lovely choices - the lots tend to be large and there are so many mature trees that you can live in the city without a city experience. If your wife is a stay-at-home mom, she may feel very lonely being new and living in the country. I speak from experience because we moved to a rural area in PA when our children were small and I felt isolated. Before you decide to rush to 'the boonies' please consider how your wife will spend her days. I am not sure how old your kids are, or what type of students they are, but White Station's optional program is nationally recognized for excellence. If you want to go the private route, there are also some excellent prep schools. There are some county properties outside of Bartlett and Cordova that seem like an excellent value, and I've heard the schools are good. Despite what some people say, it's a wonderful town and you can live a lot better for a lot less than in many other places. Welcome to Memphis!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 15, 2008
I personally enjoy the area North of Memphis. The Tipton county is about 20-30 minutes from Memphis and you don't have half the taxes that there is in Memphis and Shelby county. You ask about schools in the area, if you go to my web site, I have a link to the state rankings. Nealmasters.com. The Tipton county like to brag on Brighton School system. They are supposedly ranked # 1 in the state in Math, (out of 633 schools, top 1% in language, and in the top 10% overall. I would be glad to send you information on Homes in Tipton, but you did not say what price range you would be interested in. Are you prequalified yet? I have several mortgage company links on my web page (local resources). You can pick who you would like to deal with. Please let me know your e-mail and what size house and how much you qualify for and I will have listings to you in no time.
Web Reference: http://www.NealMasters.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 12, 2008
Hi Billy, I have worked w/another family that relocated from St. Louis recently that found a great home in Eads. (Just inside Fayette County - low taxes). There are so many great options for "suburban life" here in Memphis and it's surrounding areas.
Of course, price point will play a role in location. I would personally suggest Germantown, Collierville, Lakeland or Hickory Withe/Eads area - these are all great locations/family oriented, etc. Good Luck w/your move to Memphis - it's a great place to live! If I can help in any way, please let me know.
Web Reference: http://www.mistyjones.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 12, 2008
Hello my name is Shaye. I am the owner of a salon in memphis named Shaye Style's. Let me first say welcome. I ran across your post this morning and wanted to get in touch with you. If your looking for a great salon to get a new look and a great Style book an appointment at http://www.styleseat.com/shayestyles or feel free to contact me at 9013233734. My salon is located in the middle of the city with a high traffic area 3340 Poplar Ave Ste G103 Memphis Tn 38111. Again welcome to Memphis and I hope you accomplish all you've set out to do.

Shaye
Hi: Is it possible to trade a house from one state to another? I want to relocate from Colorado Springs Colorado to Memphis TN. How do I get a good price for my home here, so I can buy in TN.?
The sq.ft. Finished 2,669 and the basement 972 sq. ft. that is now finished.2 storyk 5 bedroom traditional home with study on main foor. Master suite with walk-in colset and full bath, double vanity, oval tub, separate shower and private commode. Budget is 1200-1600 per month. Hope we can make latteral trade, or down size for no payments.
Flag Tue Mar 27, 2012
Right now we live in a 5 bed room home 3 1/2 bath, two car garage family room, living room formal dining room, kitchen rec. room. We would like something close to this.
Flag Tue Mar 27, 2012
There several areas that could be right up your alley, however a little more info is needed like :

What is your budget? How old are your children (do you need elementry of high school)? Do you like new homes or older? Are you more urban or do you like the suburbs or does rural interest you?

I would be more than happy to send you listings (after knowing what really is your requirements).

Welcome to the area!!!
I grew up in Memphis, and I would say move to East Memphis. Between Park Avenue and Walnut Grove are the best areas, but may be a little pricey. A lot of my friends, that range from young professionals, newly weds, and younger parents (35 and under) have bought houses in the High Point Terrace neighborhood. This is a really cute area, and is about 15 minutes to downtown, and about 15 minutes to Germantown. I live in Chattanooga, and have thought about moving back to Memphis recently. If I had children, I would 100% live in East Memphis. It is part of the city, however, in my opinion, it is the best part of town to live in. Maybe I am just biased because this is where I grew up, but if you like houses with character that are not all "cookie cutters," this is the area to live in.There are lots of parks, shopping, restaurants, a really nice movie theatre and other amenities that you may really like. The public school system is not the greatest in Memphis, so you need to be aware of this when looking for a place to live. White Station is a good public school, and Grahamwood is a great public elementary school. I went to a private school, (St.Mary's) however, I would send kids to either one of these schools. The best way to describe East memphis is the suburb in the city.
Germantown is great too, but the houses are much newer and do not have as much character. It is common to see houses that are all practically identical to one another all along a street. The public schools are good in Germantown, and this is a really nice area as well. Poplar Avenue and Poplar Pike pretty much run right into East Memphis. Cordova is not a bad area either, but it is not quite as nice as Germantown. You will definitely hit a lot of traffic on Germantown Parkway, at almost all times of the day. This is one thing to think about... it is the main road that connects Cordova (and Germantown) to the rest of the city. I hope this helps!
Did Billy ever move here? I agree that suburbs to downtown is quite a commute, especially in memphis where everyone above the age of 16 is in a vehicle and on the roads. We llive in Cordova in beautiful Riverwood, and are thinking about putting our house on the market soon. We have met with two different realtors and know we have a jewel of a home, near the lake, rare corner lot, and koi pond. But the foreclosures and low sales near us are pulling the comps down, and we can't seem to settle on our price. Why do realtors think we can sell our home for less than we owe the lender? It's a head scratcher. Our lot in perfect and private and we have 3500 sq feet, so we are not sure what to do.
For school-age kids, I would recommend Germantown or Collierville. We moved here about 4 years ago from Montana, and lived in Fayette County. Beautiful area, but schools have become over-crowded because of the growth, and they have yet to come up with a decent plan to build more schools.

My daughter is a strait A student who needs to be challenged, and we really have LOOKED, for about four years to see which would be the BEST place, good location and safest for our child. Also a community that is well established, and holds it's real estate value. Our results came to Collierville, or Germantown. We ended up coming to Germantown because we found a great deal on a house, but either town is terrific and have many many many things to do as a family and also, great programs for kids of all ages. We met our neighbors (all of them) in a matter of a weekend, and they have told us that Germantown has something for gifted children, called the APEX program. This serves them well, because if they stay with the program, they can earn college credits in high school, or so I'm told. I'm checking into it currently. I hope this gives you a little insight! -Wendy
We moved to Memphis 2 years ago and lived close in to the city-- "East Memphis", or the White Sation School district earlier mentioned. I am a stay at home mom, and while it was convenient, it was not very family oriented and I did not feel comfortable with the level of crime. We moved to Lakeland, and feel very safe, excellent schools, and great neighbors, family friendly. I do not feel isolated or in the boonies as others mentioned. It is less than 3 miles to the mall or anything else we need, and livein a lake community filled with children for a lot less than in town, without the Memphis city taxes.

** By the way, we are moving to FL in the next 6 mos. and are considering renting our home. If you would like any info on it or Lakeland in general, email to AtlantaMerkles@aol.com.

Good luck and welcome to the Memphis area! Sue Merkle
Downtown Rocks! Go to Harbor Town or South Bluffs, forget the rest!
Please check out Tipton county, which is still in TN. No state income tax, unlike MS. Our tax rates our low as well as our crime rates. To stay within the 30 minute commute time, I would suggest either Atoka or Munford. We frequently attend Redbirds games downtown and a quick hop on Hwy 51 then to I-40 will get you right in the middle of downtown within 30 minutes. We have award-winning schools like Brighton High School and a new elementary school that just opened a few days ago in Atoka. If you prefer a private school, Tipton Rosemark Academy is a great choice and it has a brand new building this year as well. If you want a laid back atmosphere but want to be within 30 minutes of just about anything you could want, then Tipton county is my recommendation. Visit my site at http://www.debmitchellcountry.com and check out what we have to offer.
Billy,
I have to agree with Denton. If you are moving to the Memphis area, you should consider all areas. We recently transferred and chose DeSoto County. We like the small community feel just minutes from the big city. There are great reasons to be on both sides of the state line. I am not saying you should not consider living in Tn....I am just saying you shouldn't limit yourself. Price point will be a factor on where you choose. With prices low in both states, you can find the home of your dreams anywhere. If you are still looking.....Good Luck!
Web Reference: http://carriecrowell.com
There are so many great areas in Memphis. I have a relocation guide that I will be happy to send you that will acquaint you will all areas. Of course, your critieria and budget play a huge part in the areas you choose. Fayette County is a boom area currently and the taxes are the lowest in the tri county area. Many Memphis residents are trying to move east of Memphis-Arlington, Lakeland and Fayette County.

I would love to assist you with your real estate needs and if you want to send me your address I will mail you a relocation guide.

Karen Stephens
Keller Williams
klstephens@kw.com
901-351-1834
Hi Billy,

Welcome to the area! You have lots of choices, however first it all depends on your budget and your lifestyle. Remember, if you are working in Tennessee, we have no state income tax, nor do we have in Shelby/Tipton/Fayette County a huge wheel tax - something you must consider when working in the tri state area. If those things are not a concern, perhaps Marion, Ark just minutes over the bridge might interest you. Very low taxes, good supply of inventory of new homes, good school systems and small town feel.

If state tax, somewhat rural living and traveling over a bridge gets to you then, I agree with Misty's reply below. The Lakeland, Arlington, Eads and Hickory Wythe area are extremely sought after by executives with families with school aged children. Interstate access (23 minutes from the Lakeland Exit to the Riverside Drive Exit), lower taxes than Memphis proper, higher income and a younger medium age. Plus this is an area with newer homes with up to the second amenities.

You will need to see first hand with a trusted agent however to find that great fit for you and your family. There are super areas of Memphis also, again it will depend on your budget and lifestyle.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Best always,

Jo Shaner
Web Reference: http://www.lipseyshaner.com
Billy, do you really want to be 20-30 miles, a 30-60 minute commute twice a day with gas prices at $4.00. There are great schools in Memphis, and great family neighborhoods that really feel like neighborhoods. Don't write of the city. We get way too much bad press, but its a great place to live- and the in-town neighborhoods will be viable and stable years from now as they have been for the past 50-100 years. Contact me directly for more info or visit http://www.spake.com.
Web Reference: http://www.spake.com
Hello Bill,
You will have several choices for certain, and some of those choices will depend on how much you would like to spend for a home. There are areas north of Shelby County...in Tipton County. that offer much lower property taxes, lower crime rates, and great schools....and about 20 to 30 minutes from downtown Memphis. That is one location. There are some others. Please visit our website at
http://www.Bluffcityrealestate.com and use the maps page to see all of the surrounding suburbs. Lakeland is also very nice, but again, your price range is important. Please feel free to contact us using the information from our website. Our email address and phone numbers are there.
Good Luck on your move to our great area!!

Connie Chambers and Don DeBaer