General Area in Norfolk>Question Details

Dustinp, Home Buyer in Nashville, TN

I am moving to the area to work in Newport News, the wife in Norfolk. What area minimizes traffic for both commutes & has good elementary?

Asked by Dustinp, Nashville, TN Fri Oct 29, 2010

schools? My office will be near CNU. My wife's office will be near the intersection of I-64 and I-264 (23462 area code). We are looking to buy. Two of our main concerns are schools for our toddler and the commutes. Any advice as to communities and/or areas where we should look?

Answers

3
One of you will have to go through the tunnel. I work southside and I live in 23462. My granddaughter goes to Point of View Elementary and we have been very pleased with the school. http://www.greatschools.org is ONE place you can go to for school information and ratings - the ratings are based on input from students, teachers and parents.
If you need someone to help you find something southside, please feel free to contact you. An agent costs you nothing out of pocket and can help you focus and clarify your wants & needs and compare to what is available and workable as houses for sale. 23462 (in fact most of Virginia Beach) is a good place to find a townhouse, a nice starter home at lower cost than a single family.
KK German, Wainwright Real Estate, 757-714-2335
Dear Dunstinp,

It will all depend on what you can afford, but if you like older homes, you can look near Downtown Hampton or Wythe. I epecially like Wythe for a "bi-water commute" because whoever has to commute to the other side, can conveniently get to the HamptonRoads Bridge Tunnel, or the Monitor Merrimac BT, depending on the traffic. Newer homes can be found in Northeast Suffolk or perhaps Isle of Wight, great "split the difference" locations. Also, the closer you get to the tunnels, the better, especially if you decide to go to the Norfolk side(there are some great neighborhoods there too) .

As for schools-- that is so subjective. What constitutes a "good" school is different for everybody. You can go to my website to look at stats on every schoools in Hampton Roads. Once you narrow it down, it might be waorth a physical visit to your top choices.

If you need any help or advice (free)-- feel free to contact me.

Best of luck,

pat
What is your target price range and minimum bedroom and bath requirements? Depending on price range, one of you will unfortunately have to endure the commute through the bridge tunnel.

Frank Biganski, Realtor
(757) 303-0517
Reliance Realty at Port Warwick
frank@reliancerealty.com