General Area in Baltimore>Question Details

Grgtrn, Home Buyer in Aberdeen, MD

I am moving to Maryland and was wondering what are the prospects for the Patterson Park area in Baltimore? Is it a good area to buy and live?

Asked by Grgtrn, Aberdeen, MD Sat Jun 19, 2010

For me "good area" = low crime; walking distance to restaurants, bars, and shopping; expectation that real estate prices won't completely tank in 10 years if someone buys now; and not having to spend over 20 minutes looking for a place to park. I will be starting a job in Aberdeen, Md in Sept. and don't know much about Maryland real estate so I am looking anywhere from Baltimore to Aberdeen. I don't want to spend any more than 250k. Any impressions of Patterson Park would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

5
This area is being revitalized. With that being said, I worked with a guy who bought a townhouse near the park and put a lot of remodeling work into the house. He was robbed three times. Two of the times he was at home. He finally moved out since he feared for his safety. Also, his car was stolen. There are still people buying houses and moving in....but this was a personal experience that I wanted to relay. It is a little pricey but you want to look in Canton area. This area will fulfill all of your needs. BTW I live about 10 miles from Aberdeen. Good luck on your new job. I have been trying to get a job at Aberdeen for six months. Cannot get an interview.
I've lived in the Patterson Park neighborhood since 2005 and WOW has this area changed! It's really improving on a constant basis, and I think it will continue to do so. We have what I call "critical mass" now on the people moving in who are willing to contribute to the neighborhood, and I count my neighbors as among my dearest friends. We bought our house at the top of the market, but I'm not worried as this place has become home in a way I wasn't expecting. We have no plans to leave.

You can definitely get a great house in your price range here. Walking distance is a personal thing, but the restaurants of Canton and Fells Point aren't that far away, less than a mile. Shopping might be a bit further. Parking in Patterson Park is better than Canton, but there might be some nights where it is a challenge, just being honest. The more residents we get, the tighter it gets. Remember that rowhomes were built before cars, so we just don't have the space on the street for each house to have two cars. Many of the homes in our area do have parking pads in the back though, so you might find one that solves that problem.

We are still a transitional area, so if you are thinking about living here, please come ready to help sweep alleys occasionally, drink beer with your neighbors, and share a dish at a potluck. We are a real community, but you need to know that you get out of it what you put into it. :-) There's no homeowner's association, but we have a very active neighborhood association that works to address crime, sanitation issues, and community spirit. We work hard, but we play hard too.

It's a great place to live!

Summer
Patterson Park
90% of the properties I list and sell are in Patterson Park, adjacent Butchers Hill, Patterson Place, Canton and surrounds. If you want to see what the area is like park on Baltimore st between Bradford and Milton at about 5P and whatch as everyone starts coming home, gets there walking/running clothes on, get their dog, and head to the park. It's called 'America's Best Backyard' for a reason! Tennis & Bball courts, walking paths, picnic areas, amplitheater, festivals, swimming pool, lake, fountain, and best of all the Holloween Lantern Parade - I love what is happening in the area - nearly all of the amazing rennaissance is driven by the exploding growth of Hopkins Bio Tech, Massive New Hospital and Campus. The balance of new residents in the area tend to be mostly Aberdeen, and the other notable employers like Under Armor. For $250,000 you can get a gorgeous total rehabbed townhouse ( 3BD/2.5BA min) 3 fully finished levels, roof deck, exposed brick, real hardwood floors, high ceilings, skylights, 100% new mechanical systems throughout, energy efficient HVAC, all new windows, roof, stainless steel appliances, granite counters, and ceramic baths w/ Jacuzzi, euro showers, AND EVEN YOUR OWN PRIVATE PARKING PAD. I work with 4 builders so you can choose your style and most of the properties, the vast majority are $200,000-289,0000. Also if you look at the crime stats on the Baltimore City web site you'll see that there is crime of opportunity pervasively throughout the city, BUT violent crime is rare. Just don't leave ANYTHING visible in your car, is the rule of thumb. Rebecca Reeves 410-258-8935. email me at rreeves@cbmove.com and I will send you a portfolio of the homes we're settleing now, and some that will come on the market soon. We also do Build to Suit rehabs, with a fixed price upfront, and the buyer can choose their finishes.
As a realtor, I cannot suggest one neighborhood over another. However, the best thing to do is do your research before buying into any neighborhood. Check out these websites for Patterson Park. http://www.ILovePattersonPark.com http://www.pattersonparkneighbors.org http://www.pattersonpark.com http://www.livebaltimore.com
http://maps.baltimorepolice.org/bpdmaps/police.htm - Crime Stats
Give me a call if you have any questions. 410-303-6197
Hello and thank you for your inquiry. Please call me at 443-350-4936 or email me at Shirley.McHenry@LongandFoster.com. I would like to get more information regarding your plans to purchase and locations you may be interested in. There are many re locations moving into the Aberdeen area and I would like to speak to you about what is available in this area that you may be interested in. I look forward to working with you.

All the best.