Matt, Home Buyer in La Jolla, San Diego,...

I am moving to MCAS Miramar and we have a daughter that will be starting middle school. I want to buy in a nice family neighborhood near La Jolla.

Asked by Matt, La Jolla, San Diego, CA Sun Dec 4, 2011

What is the La Jolla area like for young children, schools ect. Would it be better to buy at Scripps Ranch? I see you can buy more house for the money but I like the idea of living closer to the water where it cooler and I don't hear the jets landing and taking off all day.
Any suggestions?

Answers

6
Janet McCarthy’s answer
Rancho Bernardo, Rancho Penasquitos, 4S Ranch and Poway are all part of the award winning Poway Unified School District which will give superior opportunities to your daughter.
These areas consistently hold their value because of the highly rated school district.
Rancho Penasquitos is the most inland and has houses available ranging from $400,000 to $1,050,000. The average price is $655,000. You might like the 4 bedroom 3 bath, 1947 sq. ft that is priced around $500,000.
Most homes have little or no HOA or Mello Roos fees.
We don't hear the jets landing or taking off and we typically enjoy temperatures that are 10-15 degrees lower than Scripps Ranch, Poway or Rancho Bernardo. Penasquitos is about a 15 -20 minute commute form MCAS Miramar.
I'd highly recommend you find a Realtor who wants to help you succeed and start looking at houses. The pictures you see online really don't give you a good idea of the home or the neighborhood. The best way to find where you want to live is to start seeing houses.
Contact me today so that we can set-up a buying plan and get you started on finding the best deal.
Janet McCarthy
Connect Realty
jmccarthyhomes@gmail.com
http://www.bestsandiegohomesguide.com
858-243-5719
Hi, Matt,

Thanks for asking your question.
La Jolla, Poway and Rancho Bernardo all have great school districts, one of the best in San Diego County actually.
La Jolla, being a very well off neighborhood, is super nice, with lots of restaurants and things to do, as well as parks, recreation areas, beaches, etc. But you are correct, the prices there are pretty steep. Depending on what you want a house or a condo, for a single detached home you'll end up paying a million and up.
You can definitely get the same kind of home in Scripps Ranch for much less, so I recommend you exploring both areas.
It would be a great step to drive through both neighborhoods and start looking at some sites online for property prices, etc.
Find a realtor you are comfortable working with and that is knowledgeable about those areas and start the process with him/her.

Let me know if I can help you in any other way,
Sincerely,Real Estate Supergirl
Khrystyna Chorna
Allison James Estates and Homes
7 Horton Plaza,
San Diego, CA, 92101
tel: 619-808-7064
resupergirl@me.com
http://www.realestatesupergirl.com
http://www.youtube.com/chornarealestate
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 5, 2011
Matt,

Congrats on moving to the area. I assume you are military, if so check out Homes for Heroes San Diego, 619-500-HERO. They are the only program of its kind in San Diego and they offer numerous discounts when buying or selling in San Diego. Save you thousands when buying your next home with no cost or extra paperwork. Here is the website, http://www.OurSanDiegoHeroes.com
Good luck!!

Jesse G. Salas
DRE#01877872
Homes for Heroes San Diego
La Jolla is a fabulous place for families, schools, etc. The only question is, can you afford it? It is very pricy and if you are in the military I would have concerns about it's affordability for you.

Scripps Ranch is far more affordable and the schools are still good. It is an upper middle class family neighborhood. Also, you might take a look at Carmel Valley. Priced betweeen Scripps Ranch and La Jolla, it has outstanding schools and is just east of highway 5. Your weather will be much cooler.

I'd love to help you if you are not working with an agent yet. I've lived here 20 years and know the various communities quite well.

Good luck Matt!
There are so many great neighborhoods in La Jolla. Both are great areas.
Hi Matt,

You sound like me....I want the big home but the ocean is just as important. La Jolla has the hefty price tag but you do have other options. If you go just south, into North Pacific Beach 92109 (north of Turquoise St) you will be in the La Jolla School district and not have to pay the price of 92037. Or, you can always head North up to the Cardiff/Encinitas area....good schools and also a very laid back beach vibe. Carmel Valley is just east of La Jolla and Del Mar and it is very affordable. It is somewhat built around the "family" so there are a lot of parks and the schools are good. I have an almost 3 year old so I am going through the same situation you are. Welcome to San Diego...you will love it.

Kara

Kara Watkins Norgart
Re/Max Coastal Properties
kara@karawatkins.com
619-708-8276
Web Reference: http://www.KaraWatkins.com