General Area in Houston>Question Details

Mya0587, Renter in Houston, TX

I am moving to Houston, Texas in May of 2013. Any suggestions for good areas to move to?

Asked by Mya0587, Houston, TX Fri Feb 15, 2013

Im looking for work as we speak so I can have a job when I move.

Answers

31
Persis Behramsha’s answer
Hi Mya, you are certainly prompt in preparing for your move, however, it would be a good idea if you already know which part of town you will be working in, and what is important to you within the area you will be living in. There are several areas that can work for individuals, but what do you want to have where you live?

Budget and commute will probably be your top factors to consider.

Best way to reach me if you have questions is my email or phone as below:

Persis
713-294-7747
persis.realtor@gmail.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 15, 2013
Hi Mya, how is everything working out for your move? Have you found a job yet? Let me know how I can help.
Persis
713-294-7747
Flag Wed May 8, 2013
Hi!
We are an Australian family that might be moving to Houston in the next 2 months.
Hubby would be working in the Uptown area.
What would be a good area to look at for housing?
Would need access to great schools (5 year old boy), shops & safe neighbourhoods!

We have previously lived in Canada, so this isn't a huge move for us.

As Australians, where the weather is ALWAYS hot, what is the weather like in Houston?

Many thanks for your help!! :)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 31, 2014
Many folks seek out neighborhoods in the top school districts, including: Cy-Fair ISD, Katy ISD, Klein ISD and Pearland ISD - although these are located in areas outside the Sam Houston Tollway loop around the city. The ratings for these school districts' elementary schools are worth checking out on: http://www.har.com/school/

Also, please consider where you will be working, as your commute into your job will be important so that you can spend as much quality time with your family as possible, and not in traffic everyday!

Contact me at melissafontenot@kw.com if you'd like to discuss further.

Best Wishes on your move!
Flag Mon Feb 3, 2014
If you are looking for quality of life and good schools, Cypress and Katy are hard to beat.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 30, 2013
If by chance you haven't moved to Houston yet, please rethink your decision.
Here's why:
1) 9 months a year of hot, humid summer. The other three aren't hot, just humid.
2) Horrendous traffic. No real public transportation, a few busses and a toy train downtown.
3) Rednecks. Oh yeah.. This is Jesusland.
4) Sprawl. It's 60 miles from one end of the city to the other, and that's not counting the suburbs.
5) Perrenially losing "professional" sports teams.
6) Walmarts on every corner ('Nuff said)
7) DId I mention that the heat and humidity is unbearable? Seriously, shoveling snow is preferable!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 27, 2013
I lived in Houston for 2 years... NW near Spring and I can tell you that
1) 3-4 months of the year are gorgeous... somewhat cold even
2) Rednecks are in the outskirts like Tomball and they are the sweetest people
3) Its awesome and the Sam Hardy toll road helps you get from one end to the other
4) Houston Texans... thats all Ill say
5) Walmart is awesome.
6) Maybe you should move to Dallas if you want snow.
Flag Tue Nov 12, 2013
Do yourself a favor while you're ahead. Don't move to Houston.

It's a hell hole.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 8, 2013
Agreed. I almost got out and moved to Austin, but the fiancee got a job opportunity here.
Flag Thu Jan 9, 2014
Shure, one very good area is The Woodlands, with good schools but a little expensive. I would suggest to you the LAKE CONROE AREA on the northern part of Houston. Its about 30-40 miles and have great subdivitions like WALDEN ON LAKE CONROE, APRIL SOUND, GRAND HARBOR and BENTWATER. All of them are located around LAKE CONROE and in the recognized MONTGOMERY INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT with exemplary schools.

GASTON LIRA
ERA ALLSTAR PROPERTIES
(936) 718-6339
gaston.lira@era.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 15, 2013
I'm considering moving to Houston as an instructor at the University of Houston and some of the things I'm reading here are terrifying (humitidy, commute) while others are encouraging. I'm a born and raised Californian and while I'm accepting of the fact that I won't be surfing much, if at all, what options are there near the campus and are there any good beach towns near Houston? Thanks!
Hello!

Congratulations on your move! Houston is huge and spread out. Staying inside the loop allows you to be centrally located. Your commute will be minimal depending on the part of town you work. You can get a lot for your money by purchasing out in the suburbs the trade off is the commute.

Give me a call when you are ready for your move and I would be more than happy to help you with the home buying process.

Sahar Samadian, REALTOR
832-741-3120
I am trying to Move to Sugar Land Texas. I have a 5 year old. Is it safe to raise a family in Sugar Land? How is it job wise? I am looking find a job in Sugar land and where I can get to grocery stores easily and play ground and parks near by. Please help us.

aiperialmamatova@gmail.com
I just found out that I will be moving soon, too. Are you packing everything up and moving it yourself or are you hiring someone? I've never had to do a big move before so I'm not sure how it works. I don't know what the best way would be to find movers for a good price.
We are renting our brand new constructed 2 story, 4 bed room, 3 bathroom house with an office and upstairs game room for $2200 a month. We are 10 min drive to reliant stadium and houston medical center. House is located in a safe and new development off 288s and airport towards direction of Pearland. Email Henrchou524@yahoo.com or call 415-713-8854 for inquires
My husband & I are moving to the Houston area come September-October of this year. His job will be out of Conroe. We've heard Spring & Magnolia are pretty areas. We are active and love quaint, nice, tree-filled areas. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated (for yoga studios too). Thank you!
Im thinking of moving to Houston, TX for a better opportunities within my company. I work for Walmart which neighborhood should I start in and please keep in mind that I have no children and I'm in my 20s.. if you can help email me @missteasmith@gmail.com Thanks!!!

Best Wishes on your move!
If you are looking for an apartment I can help adam@apartmentscience.com
Hello I currently living in Houston in the Greenspoint area and i m looking for a nice 2 bedroom and 2 bath. My Boyfriend would like to stay in this area close to his job. we both can't do no more apts. we want a nice house to call home. so someone help me. thank u or you can email me at ,

jonesmsbrittany@gmail.com
contacts SYSINE LLC 281 1656 1227
I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR MORE ABOUT YOUR LIFESTYLE SO I CAN HELP YOU CHOOSE SOMEWHERE YOU WILL REALLY ENJOY LIVING......SECLUSION? WALKING DISTANCE TO SHOPS? SUBURBS? CITY LIFE? GOLFER? WATER SPORTS?
I'm moving to Houston as well and I have two children so I'm looking for great schools, recreation and suburbs. Another top priority would be a safe family friendly atmosphere.
Flag Tue Sep 10, 2013
I relocated to Houston in 2011, and started in the Washington St./Rice Village Area. Quality of life is tremendous, and the area is as safe and centrally located as it gets for a large metropolitan area.
Michael what do you think about the Heights area?
Flag Thu May 15, 2014
Hey Mya0587,
Well, simply put Houston is very well zoned by lifesyle/income. What your likes, hobbies, work, family life, etc. are like depends on where you want to live. If you plan to work, depending on your line of work also depends on where you live. So if you're looking for a 9-5p in front of an office, maybe a nice apt in Spring Branch (77043, 77055, 77080) migght suit you its close to everything, major freeways, malls, downtown, and hospitals, (hosp & malls are new swanky facilities). Lots of small reasonable rental homes too. If you're the single executive type the downtown lots, Rice Military, Heights, and Montrose(the more "alternative/bohemian lifestyle friendly of the bunch 77006, 77007, 77008, 77018, 77056, 77098, 77030) would be for you, less commute and good good bike riding area. I don't really recommend he, "out of town" suburbs to people who are new to Houston because our commutes are brutal, you get more for you buck the further you move out, but how much do you really need? Is it worth an extra 30-40hrs of your time a month?
Is Houston a hellhole? I guess like every metropolitan city in the U.S. it has its dark areas, especially where there is no zoning involved, you can have $500-$1mil home in the same vicinity of "Free Move In" type apartment complex. Good luck! But you might already be here!
I live in spring texas north of house a little. I have a huge yard on a culdasac. It a really nice area. One of the best school systems I texas. Close to 45. I will be putting my home up for sale 5/1/2013. Let me know if you would like details. Drake6398@Gmail.com
Let me know if you'd be willing to offer compensation to a Buyer's Agent if I have a buyer who would be interested in your home - Spring is a wonderful area! You can reach me at melissafontenot@kw.com.
Best Wishes!
Flag Mon Feb 3, 2014
Houston is one of those cities that is abundant in great areas to move to. I would say that it has a bit to do with where you work and how far you are willing to travel on a daily basis. I have lived in the Heights since moving to Houston and absolutely love it. Montrose is another one that is very desirable for many reasons. Rice University is also an area with a lot going on and is close to both the other neighborhoods that I mentioned. Feel free to give me a call or send an email and tell me a bit about yourself so that we can begin to narrow some of your options based upon your life style.

Mari Kaye Lasewicz
BuySellLiveHouston@gmail.com
713-417-2797
Hi Maya0587,

As a native Houstonian, I know of many good areas to move to. The question I have is what do you consider "good," and what is your lifestyle. Houston is as diverse as the stars when it comes to non-work related activities, but we're also spread out, so you'll have to consider how much time you want to dedicate yourself to in a car.

I work with many relocation clients that think they want one thing, and once they're here they start to see the benefit of living near your work. Thankfully, no matter what direction of the city you are drawn to you'll always have plenty of options for restaurants, shopping, and other entertainment.

Nasyim Segal, Broker Associate
Boulevard Realty http://www.SegalRE.com
Im thinking of moving to Houston I have a 5year old I love in Dallas... Just lost at where to start.
Flag Thu Sep 19, 2013
Best advice, is to post back here what part of town you will be working in once you have found your desired position. That way you can get suggestions on areas of town that will be near your new job. Houston is a big town and you could wind up with a long commute if you decide on area to live in before your land that job.
CORRECTION, MOST EMPLOYERS WANT YOU TO BE THERE BEFORE THEY OFFER YOU EMPLOYMENT. AND WE ARE MOVING TO HOUSTON AT THE VERY END OF FEBRUARY...WE NEED A PLACE TO MOVE TO WHEN WE ARRIVE. LITERALLY! I LOVE THE IDEA OF CYPRESS OR KATY. I CURRENTLY HOMESCHOOL MY 14YR. OLD FRESHMAN DAUGHTER BECAUSE OF THE HORRIBLE SCHOOL SYSTEM WHERE WE ARE. HOWEVER, WHEN WE GET TO HOUSTON, SHE WILL BE IN PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM DUE TO EMPLOYMENT/MINISTRY. SO QUALITY OF LIFE, SAFETY, SCHOOLS IS FIRST PRIORITY, AND WOULD LOVE TO HAVE ACCESS TO THE BEACHES...BUT AGAIN, WE HAVE NO JOBS THERE YET, AND ARE STILL WORKING IN TN. WHAT CAN BE DONE??? THANKS!
Flag Tue Jan 14, 2014
THE DIFFICULTIES COMES IN WITH TRYING TO LAND A JOB AND YOU'RE NOT THERE YET! MOST PEOPLE WANT YOU TO ALREADY HAVE THE JOB, BUT, WE ARE NOT HERE YET...MOVING FROM TN... :-1
Flag Tue Jan 14, 2014
Well Mya, the good thing is Houston, is soooooo large there is an area of town for whatever lifestyle you are accustomed to. Sadly it is So large, No one with you best interest can answer that question for you unless you give us more information.

How much time can you sit in traffic every morning and still arrive at work in a good mood?

Personally I am happy outside of Beltway 8 on all side. Life is to busy any closer to town. Come on out to Kingwood, I love it here.
Hi there!

There are SO MANY great areas to choose from and a lot of factors - What do you enjoy doing? What do you want to be close to? Any ideas what area you'd like to work in? Do you mind a commute or do you want to be close to the office?

We'd love to help you find an area based on your interested. Message us your info and we'll have one of our Buyer Specialists contact you. We service the greater Houston area, so they know what areas to look for!

Hope this helps (and Happy Friday!)

The Loken Group
info@TheLokenGroup.com
281-861-4624
Mya,

The area of Houston you will live in might depend on where you find employment! Commute times can be as much as an hour if you work near downtown, but live in the suburbs near the master planned communities. Good news there is plenty of housing all over the city!

Price will be a large factor as well. Inner-city areas are generally more expensive for the same type of home farther out. You did not mention if you are going to buy or lease. If buying, you want to get yourself pre-approved for a mortgage. If leasing, you want to make sure your credit is in fairly good shape.

I work all over the city and know most areas and can advise you on many options that are out there. Good luck with your job search and let us know if we can assist you.

Mark McNitt
m 832-567-4357
Bernstein Realty, Inc.
It's 50) miles across Houston. There are good areas to live in on all around Houston. A lot of things to consider. driving distance to work, schools , close to shopping/entertainment. Are looking to purchase or lease? single family home, condo., apartment, and the price range you want to be in.

Duane Kersten
Realm Real Estate Professionals.
duanekersten@realtor.com
I am a local realtor with Keller Williams Metropolitan and I specialize in working in thme Inner Loop and area neighborhoods. I would be happy to work with you on this.

Mark H. Rogers
713-377-3314
mrogersrealtor@gmail.co
Hey mya!!! I have lived here in Houston my whole life and have been a realtor for 9 years so I can give you some good ideas. It really depends on your price range. Send me am email with your price range and I will send you an extensive list of some nice neighborhoods. I look forward to hearing from you!!!

Diane Schrakamp
Total Real Estate Services
Dschrakamp@gmail.com
832-620-6304