General Area in Carlsbad>Question Details

Kevin Gomez, Renter in Corning, NY

I am looking to relocate to Carlsbad, CA area from New York State while keeping my home in NYS until kids graduate and my wife is ready to move.

Asked by Kevin Gomez, Corning, NY Wed Dec 11, 2013

I am looking for a modest and inexpensive 1-2 BR apartment that will allow me to cover my expenses in both NY and CA for up to 3 years. We are in the process of putting together a five year plan with us selling our home in NYS with enough equity to purchase (or down payment) one in Carlsbad area. Any suggestions if not Carlsbad? Other locations include Temecula, Encinetas, Vista, and just South East of Rancho Santa Fe. Is this even realistic?

Answers

24
Thank you all for the quick response!
I am currently working on a budget as well as a resume for potential employment in the Biotechnology industry and graphic design industry in and around Carlsbad. I am both left and right brained. :)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 11, 2013
Hi Kevin, as you are aware...there is a BIG Biotech presence in San Diego. The other area where there are many Biotech firms is in the Sorrento Valley area.

https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&q=biotech+companies+in+san+diego&fb=1&gl=us&hq=biotech+companies&hnear=0x80d9530fad921e4b:0xd3a21fdfd15df79,San+Diego,+CA&ei=mR2qUquEFZTboATwsYCICA&ved=0COUBELYD
Flag Thu Dec 12, 2013
Hi Kevin,

It depends on where you will be working as commuting along the coast has the most congested traffic in San Diego. With that said, we have found that Craigslist is your best option for a rental. 85% to 95% of all rentals leased in San Diego County are found using Craigslist. It is used to advertise rentals by property owners, property management companies and agents alike. The rental listings are far more up to date than what you will find anywhere else. Check often and call/e-mail right away as many rentals move quickly.

The best way to search is by zip code (put it in the Search Box), there are many zip code maps of San Diego on the web that will assist you. Also, know that San Diego County is quite large geographically so location matters when selecting an area.

Beware of rental scam listings and ads that "look too good to be true”. Make sure you talk to the person managing the property and meet them to see it. Scams usually involve people asking for a deposit in order to see the property. The "owner" usually states they live out of state or out of the country. Other scams involve people stealing pictures from homes for sale and then posting it as a rental with a low rental rate.

Please don't hesitate to reach out if we can assist you to clarify areas where you may want to live.

Best of luck to you,

Mark & Kari Shea
Shea Real Estate
National Association of Realtors
CA BRE License 01713506
http://www.shea-realestate.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 11, 2013
If you need any assistance with home financing I would love to help! We are a local mortgage broker in Carlsbad, CA. We can shop 50 plus banks for you and make sure you get the best rate out there and do not have to run around town getting your credit pulled everywhere. Being a California native myself and since your kids will be flying the nest I would recommend: Del Mar, Solana Beach, Encinitas, Cardiff, and La Costa area's as points of interest! 760-438-2264, celeste@fitzcapital.com
If you are looking to rent I have a great furnished rental that is avail Feb 1st. Its perfect for coming from out of town to get your bearings without having to move anything. $1395 a month utilities are included. Ocean view
Hello Kevin,

If you're still looking at homes, I would be happy to email you listings on the market all throughout San Diego County and we can narrow it down to what you like best. Feel free to contact me anytime. Happy Holidays!

Warm Regards,

Media Fettinger
Century 21 Award
MFettinger@Century21Award.com
Good afternoon Kevin,

I am a relocation guy myself. I lived in Fairfield, CT for a number of years and still have family on the East Coast! I moved to Carlsbad back in 2002 and have loved living here.

There are apartments available in Carlsbad and the surrounding area, it just depends on what you define as modest and inexpensive.

Feel free to send me an email or give me a call to discuss your situation further.

Happy Holidays,

Scott Marquette, Office Manager
US ARMY, RETIRED
Highland Realty
Scott@HighlandRealtySD.com
760-613-7693
Hi Kevin,

Having lived in Rochester, I have to prepare you for the sticker shock you are going to have here in Southern California. On the up side, our taxes are significantly lower than in New York state. I specialize in Carlsbad and the surrounding areas being Encinitas, San Marcos and Vista and Oceanside. We do have town homes here and due to low inventory, prices have been steadily on the rise.

Temecula is in a completely different location...it is inland, rather than coastal. However, people do commute from Temecula to San Diego.

Are you relocating for your job? Where do you need to commute to? Have you spoken to a lender to assess your pre qualification and loan options?

Inventory in the Carlsbad and surrounding areas has been low for the past year...especially in the 200K to 400K ranges.

There are too many factors to go over in this space. Feel free to contact me and I am happy to provide you with more detailed information.

Respectfully,
Alison Peterson
Windermere Homes & Estates
AlisonPeterson@me.com
760.889.7934
I would need more information as to how much is "inexpensive" I am originally from NY went to college with some gals from up your way.. Housing here has a very wide variety . Everything is realistic when there are no restrictions as far as purchase price. Contact me direct. 760-473-2716, hallj612@gmail.com

Jayne Hall
HomeSmart Realty West
Carlsbad, Ca
The areas you mentioned are not priced equally. Temecula is far from Carlsbad; it is in Riverside county and it has cheaper prices than homes on the coast (property taxes are often more expensive as well as your utility bill). Vista and Oceanside are less expensive than Carlsbad and Encinitas. When you say South East of Rancho Santa Fe, do you mean Fairbanks Ranch, Del Mar, Carmel Valley? These areas are priced higher than Carlsbad and Encinitas. In some areas the cost of renting is almost like a condo mortgage. I am sure you have good reasons to want to wait to purchase but prices in San Diego can climb quickly and you might regret in a few years not having purchased now (beside the fact that interest rates will probably not stay this low for much longer).
Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

Daniela Marshall
Daniela Marshall Real Estate Service
HomeSmart Realty West
760-809 3003
CA BRE License 01056741
http://DanielaMarshall.com
http://facebook.com/daniela.marshall
How much down will you be coming in with? What is the highest purchase you are willing to go? Have you spoken with a lender about prequalifying, as well as pulling the equity out of your current home? Call, text or email me so we can discuss your situation, I have excellent lenders that I have my clients work with, as well as myself being an ACTIVE agent in all parts of my transactions..

You can also go on my website to look at all active properties in the areas you are thinking of moving to.. my-realtor4life.com

Jim Carpenter
cell- 619-632-3447
email- jim.myrealtor4life@gmail.com
Ca BRE #- 01420564
Hi Kevin, with your biotech and graphic design skills, Carlsbad is definitely a great place to live and work! I live in the La Costa neighborhood of Carlsbad, close to Palomar Airport. The Shadowridge neighborhood of Vista is very close and still affordable; I would add that area to your list of possibilities. Good luck, and if you ever want the scoop on any areas, email or call anytime.
Depends if you want to be on the coast or inland. All of the areas you mentioned are different but all are nice too.
What is the rental amount you are considering which will allow you to cover your expenses? I would expect $1,000 be the minimum for a 1 bedroom and up to about $2500 for a 2 bedroom that you would find in the areas you are considering.
While you are renting it is a great time to learn more about the advantages and disadvantages of each area. In general, along the coast house prices for renting and purchasing increase as you go south towards downtown San Diego from the most northern city Oceanside. As you go east, prices are less.
Along with down payment which may be influenced by the equity in your current home, you will need to figure out affordability to determine a reasonable purchase price. Your debt to income will be one of the main factors plus the current interest rates.
A good real estate agent can help with advice on different areas once they know more about your needs and preferences.
Kevin,

In what location will you be working? Second to your budget, the commute will be a large factor in your decision. Based on your description, it sounds like you are the only one coming to San Diego for an apartment. If you are 55 or older it may open up some additional rental opportunities that could save some money. Research Craig's List for pricing and location. More information (budget, location of workplace, desired commute time) is needed in order to give better direction.

Kind Regards,

Marcie Sands, REALTOR
Simply The Best Real Estate Co., Inc.
760-644-1562
BRE # 01428288
It all depends on what your budget is and what type of unit you want to rent. There are a lot of options in the North County area. Keep in mind that looking in Temecula may be a cheaper alternative, but it is a good distance and long drive into the San Diego work base (many days a 45 min. plus commute depending on where you will be going). Many coast cities have properties with rental units on them or granny flats/guest houses that people rent out. You might want to check craigslist.com for some of those type of rentals as well as apartments or condos.

Jeff Jenkel
http://www.jenkelteam.com
CalBRE 00874000
Hi Kevin,

As others have said, it's a little difficult to answer without knowing more about your financial situation. On the rental front, if you'd like to start out in Carlsbad, a rental will run you anywhere from $1300-1900 a month for a condo or apartment. I suggest you google Chamberlain Property Management - they are one of the bigger property management companies in Carlsbad and have a good inventory in a range of budgets.

Regarding your ultimate destination when your wife and children move out, this is going to depend on your lifestyles and housing preferences. For example, do you want a single family home, or will you be empty nesters who would prefer a townhome or condo? What is your lifestyle like? If you enjoy the coast and the beach, Carlsbad is ideal. Carlsbad has a charming downtown village at the coast as well as several more suburban shopping centers, and it supports an active outdoor lifestyle, with beaches, lagoon trailes, golf courses, many parks, and more. Same with Encinitas, though it is more expensive than Carlsbad. In Carlsbad, you can currently expect to pay around $375k and up for a condo and single family home prices start in the $500s.

Vista and San Marcos are just to the north and east of Carlsbad and prices are a bit lower. You'll have a longer drive to enjoy the coastal experience, if that's what you're looking for.

Temecula has grown into quite a wine mecca in the last several years, and is steeped in wineries. The community is active, the geography beautiful, and the weather is quite hot. Temecula is less than an hour's drive from the Carlsbad area. The real estate market is very reasonable, and you can expect to get a single family home for less than $400k.

Hope this helps. Let me know how I can further help you.

Kim Sinclair
REALTOR
Real Living Lifestyles, CA DRE #01435354
300 Carlsbad Village Drive, Suite 224
Carlsbad, CA 92008

KimSinclair.re@gmail.com
Call or text me at: 760-845-4365
eFax: 858-432-5019
Hi Kevin,

The big questions is "What's your budget?" If you look at the cost of each area the most expensive to the least expensive would be Encinitas ($$$$), Carlsbad ($$$+) Carlsbad is a little less expensive than Encinitas, then Oceanside and Vista ($$) and then Temecula ($). You will also need to think about weather. Temecula is only just over the hill but the weather conditions there are much hotter in the summer and a little colder in the winter. However Temecula does have an excellent reputation for their schools (as does Encinitas and Carlsbad). Another thing to keep in mind is that the closer you get to the ocean the more expensive real estate is. You could find something inland in Carlsbad for less than something within walking distance to the beach in Oceanside. HOA fees for condos generally run an average of about $250 per month, I have seen HOA fees for as little as $9 and as much as $1,800 per month. I hope this is helpful information. I am happy to answer any other questions you may have and point you in the right direction. Let me know how I can help!
Kathy Fortenberry
Sea Coast Exclusive Properties
760-468-5642
kathy@kathyfortenberry.com
CalBRE 01880178
That is a wide range of places, both in geography and prices. There are currently a total of 147 homes for rent in the cities you mentioned. Ranging in price from $1200 to $15,000 a month. Since affordability is subjective based on the individual... why don't you take a look at the homes that are currently available and see if what fits your needs also fits into your price range.

I'll put a link to the list of available homes in the web reference below so you can take a look.

J.R. Thrasher
http://www.SanDiegoRealEstateVeterans.com
619-929-0105
I am originally from the east coast myself. Big, exciting change! Your rental budget will determine the areas to narrow in on. I am skilled in asking the right questions that quickly pinpoint the best opportunities.

Would love to work with you!

Happy holidays,
Brittany Schoor
Windermere Real Estate
760-449-7000
Brittany@brittanyschoor,com
CalBRE/ 01468869
Hi Kevin,

I would be happy to work with you regarding your needs. My contact info is below.

Nick Xenitopoulos
Iberia Enterprises, Inc.
3936 Hortensia Street
San Diego, CA 92110
858-729-3733
nickx73@gmail.com
http://www.nickxrealtor.com
CalBRE #: 01931374
Carlsbad is a wonderful place to live and/or relocate. The question for you is whether you would rather be closer to the coast. Temecula is more inland and Vista and S.E. Rancho Santa Fe somewhat less so, but nonetheless, more removed from the beach lifestyle. Another suggestion is San Marcos, within close proximity of Carlsbad and usually less expensive.
Rents are not inexpensive, but there is always something for every budget within reason.
It would be helpful to have a little more information about the dollars and cents and that would assist in focusing in on the most cost efficient area for you.
BIG difference in location that you are talking about... Carlsbad and Encinitas are coastal communities.
Temecula is up in Riverside county, Vista is a bit less desirable to most, and not sure what South East of RSF would be... 4S Ranch?

Totally different places. So it depends on where you want to be. Coastal? Encinitas, Carlsbad. Want to keep your costs down? Vista or Temecula, depending on where you want to be... 4S Ranch/Rancho Bernardo/Del Sur is all pretty heavy family oriented, so that would be less of a coastal family area.

My wife, kids and I are buying a place in Carlsbad now. I love it for the kids, etc. If we were single, I would probably be in Encinitas more than Carlsbad. So it depends...

Might be cheaper to buy than rent. Call me if you would like to discuss. I am not an agent, I am on the mortgage side of things, and can run some numbers for you if you'd like. I have a lot of clients that buy multi-unit properties so that they have VERY little out of pocket every month, and can keep some income moving forward...

Thanks!

Daniel
Hello Kevin, it all depends on what's important to you in a community. Carlsbad is gorgeous (and I've lived and owned here since 1993.) Do you like communities with a high "walking score" where you can easily walk to shops, eateries and stores, or do you like being tucked away from retail where you can enjoy a degree of privacy yet by car get where you need to be? Also, many of the areas you mention are known for Mello Roos fees, which are monthly fees -- at times in the hundreds of dollars -- which are passed on to the homeowner by the developer and which last typically 20-30 years. Overall, you'll find the areas you mention in San Diego County carrying a base property tax rate of about 1.2%, where Temecula (in Riverside County) can be as much as 1.7 to 1.9 percent annually. Your question about whether a move is realistic could be answered rather quickly by a competent lender. If you need one who won't hassle you, but instead provide solid answers, hit up Jason Wood at RPM Mortgage. 760-217-0820. He's the Branch Manager of RPM's Carlsbad location and knows his stuff. If by realistic you mean renting an apartment and checking out the area, I believe that's possible, although the more affordable units in Carlsbad (condos and townhomes) are often much older and have very high monthly HOA fees. If I can help you further define what you may want to do, feel free to phone or text 760-333-3333. You're also welcome to visit my website http://www.humpheryshomes.com and register for a property search where you could search homes and/or rentals and even receive an alert, if desired, when a match becomes available. Good luck to you!

Brent Humpherys | Broker - Owner
Humpherys Homes & Estates, Inc.
Direct: (760) 333-3333 (text or call)
Web: http://www.humpheryshomes.com

What are clients saying about Humpherys Homes & Estates?
Click here to find out: http://www.humpheryshomes.com/testimonials/

Seller Video Testimonial: https://vimeo.com/39772101
Buyer Video Testimonial: https://vimeo.com/38762825
A Marketing Preview: https://vimeo.com/65179405
Facebook (Personal): http://www.facebook.com/CaliforniaRealtor
Facebook (Business): http://www.facebook.com/HumpherysHomes
Our YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/HumpherysHomes
Connect on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/brenthumpherys

Corporation License 01925932
This is a great plan. Click on the Find an Agent tab above and type in the location you are interested in moving to. Then interview the top Trulia agents in that area. Once you have chosen an agent to work with game plan with them the question above.