General Area in Buffalo>Question Details

Ksnyc, Home Buyer in Buffalo, NY

I am looking for info on the quality of life in Buffalo for a young 30 year old couple. We will be moving from NYC for my boyfriend's Med School.

Asked by Ksnyc, Buffalo, NY Tue Mar 27, 2012

Answers

11
Bill Eckler-Florida,’s answer
Keeping it REAL....my son is a UB medical school graduate and practicing area doctor. With classes, exams, boards, residency, etc. etc. etc. there isn't much time left for a social or recreational life.

With this said, Buffalo(a New York City is not) has a wealth of opportunities and provides a load of opportunities for residents and visitors. Professional sports teams, numerous college activities, concerts, restaurants, real estate value, etc. all contribute to a quality of life that continues to bring people to the area. You will likely find that Buffalo has the unique ability to allow you to be a busy as you want to be.....

Best wishes,

Hi there, Buffalo has a great "30 something" scene. The Elmwood Village and Allentown neighborhoods are full of young professionals and students. Nightlife, restaurants, shopping, cultural events, galleries, museums etc. are all around. Plenty of rentals, lofts, condo's etc. North Buffalo and Delaware District would be second on the list.
I'm looking to find out about organizations and stuff to do. We're active; running/biking, skiing and love being outside.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 27, 2012
If your boyfriend is planning on attending medical school at UB, there are great opportunities right there! They have a terrific sports facility- pool, track, etc and there is a bike path that passes through the Amherst campus. Also UB has a big ski club with amazing discounts for students and alumni at several ski areas.
Flag Tue Mar 27, 2012
Buffalo, offers tons of possibilities for you. We have canals you can Kayak in, National Parks to walk less than 30 miles from Downtown, and others physical activities (skiing, golf, running, and bike riding) that are incredibly close to the downtown area! I left a link for you to see things we offer here in the Queen City.
REDUCED $39,999......This Incredible 3bedroom 1 bath Single family house that the value found in this totally restored home located in this re-energized and resurgent Fruit Belt ( The New UB 2020) neighborhood! So much work has gone into this house including: New Roof, siding,furnace with a humidifier,hot water heater,plumbing, kitchen cabinets. This house is a looker it has freshly painted living room,dinning room, 2 bedrooms and bathroom. it is move in ready with $1000 or less of repairs.there is a additional room on the first floor. The laundry is on first floor off the living room. oversize bathroom.Fenced in yard this property is 75 x 100...This house is a investment property that is section 8 ready for move in or it is a cozy first starter home. This property has a fenced in alot that is included into the price, so there is 2 properties for the price of one......
Call (716) 247-3489 Serious reply's ONLY!!!!
Buffalo is a great place to live. North Buffalo or the Parkside area is great if want to be close to Delaware Park. The Ring Road is great to walk or run around. There are also tennis courts (free of charge although if the high school kids are practicing or have a match you cant use them until they are done), basketball courts, golf course (its not the greatest but for being in the middle of a city it works), and a playground. Rents near the park can run you anywhere from 600 to 1200 (some cheaper or more expensive depending on size and location) a month. I bought my house in North Buffalo next to the Village of Kenmore border 12 years ago and I have no regrets. I literally walk to the grocery store, Target, my gym, my doctor, Delaware Park, etc, etc. It also has a great selection of restaurants, too. Italian, Thai, Indian, Japanese. There are a lot of young families if you are thinking of settling down. The summertime is the best. There's the Allentown Arts Festival, Taste of Buffalo, Italian Festival, free concerts downtown (big time acts not just local bands), Buffalo Chicken Wing Fest, Buffalo Beer Fest, etc. i could go on and on. The only downside are the winters. If you're not used to cold weather January and February will be a real eye opener. Anyway, I have been living in this area for 15 years and I love it.
I am 31 and from Buffalo but have lived in NYC for the past 7 years. I am a nurse practitioner/midwife and so work in the same field as your resident husband. Buffalo has a great deal to offer and can be a nice place as long as you don't start comparing it to NYC. I would be happy to give you some ideas and more info if you need. My husband and I are actually moving back to Buffalo in the next 6-8 months as I will will be building my own small private practice there. Good luck.
Realtors will work with you to find either a rental or home. I would be happy to help with any questions you have.
We are planning to visit Buffalo at the end of April and are looking to get a feel for where we may want to live. However we are not sure if we are ready to buy or just rent. Do you know if realtors can take you to both or if we would need to pick one or another to work with a realtor. Thanks
Hello, Buffalo is loaded with opportunities to be active outside year-round. Almost all the neighborhoods have parks nearby, schools with running tracks, Devil's Hole in Niagara Falls is close, ski resorts aren't far, etc ... The link below will take you to a page on my website called "Why Buffalo," it's full of links to many all kinds of things to do in Western New York. Please feel free to get in touch if there is more that I can help you with!

-Chris
Buffalo is known as "The city of good neighbors", after spending any amount of time here, you will see why! Buffalo and it's surrounding suburbs, is full of people who are hard-working, humble, generous, and helpful.
Not only are the people a great asset, but there are so many opportunities in entertainment & leisure. The city of Buffalo borders on Lake Erie & the Niagara River, wonderful boating, watersports, parks & beaches. The nightlife is hopping, with several districts with restaurants, bars & nightclubs that bring in loads of national acts. For the sports enthusiast, we have NFL, NHL, plus professional Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball and more.
We are minutes away from skiing resorts, Niagara Falls, the Canadian Border. A few websites to check out would be: Buffalo.com, Artvoice.com, WGRZ.com. And, if you are considering purchasing a home, RealtyUSA.com. Call me if I can be of any help to you! I am a lifelong resident & know the city & the suburbs!
Chris Greiner 716-480-8463