General Area in Wilmington>Question Details

Marie, Other/Just Looking in Rhode Island

I am interested in relocating to the area. How is it living in Wilmington? Would prefer someone who is not?

Asked by Marie, Rhode Island Sun Sep 28, 2008

originally from the area.

Answers

9
Hello Marie. As a native of central OH it was very easy to make the transition to like in Wilmington. As you have seen from previous posts, this town has great appeal with a historic downtown for shopping and dinner to several white sandy beaches where the water is clear.

Homes are great value and property taxes are low compare to surrounding and northern states.

C'mon down! The water is waiting.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 16, 2013
It depends on what you are looking for. Wilmington has an unbelievable appeal in almost every way but it does have a few draw backs. Housing can be rather expensive, and the job market is extremely hospitality driven. This fact can lead to lower paying jobs even for more educated positions as everyone wants to live here, but there isn't much industry relative to other similar sized cities. With the negatives out of the way though there is a reason everyone wants to live here, and also why our population is growing by leaps and bounds. Through the years Wilmington has brought some pretty serious corporate players in and as long as we continue to do this we'll have one of the best places in the country to live.

4002 1/2 Oleander Dr. 1A Wilmington, NC 28403 910-447-9495 http://www.MyWilmingtonRent.com
Serving Wilmington area, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Leland, Ogden, New Hanover County
Hi Marie,
I am seeing your entry a little late as we were helping my parents make a move to a nursing home in Indiana. We made the move to Wilmington 8 years ago from the midwest. My wife and I work together and would give you the prospective of a true family move. Give me a call or drop me an email so that we can show you how we can help.
Ed & Sheila Rudolph
910-620-7206
ed@RudolphTeam.com
My husband and I moved to Wilmington, NC 6 months after we got married. We moved here from Michigan and have been here for 13 years now. We can not imagine living anywhere else. I have lived in small towns in Indiana, Washington D.C. and Michigan. Wilmington is one of the most wonderful places in the country. It feels small town when you want it to or big city when you feel like it. You can't beat the beaches, the river, the 200 blocks of Historic district and all of the amazing local food. Then there is lots of culture, art, theatre...creativity abounds. If you want to learn more about the area ..there is information on my website at http://www.amyholcomb.com.
Web Reference: http://www.amyholcomb.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 3, 2010
Hi Marie,
I've lived here in Wilmington for almost 9 years now, moving from New York, and now consider it my home. I'll speak honestly, OK? Are "we" seen as outsiders? By some of the "locals", yes we are. And there's a "friendly" term-"yankee" that's used a lot. Sometimes it may not be so friendly, but that's something that's usually behind closed doors. Occasionally you'll see some mean spirited bumper stickers-and then others in rebuttal.

A stereotypical "yankee" behaves badly- rude, demanding and aggressive... But we all know that you don't have to come from "up north" to display those qualities!

I've found people to be very friendly-but I found they were very friendly in New York too! I guess people are people.

Employment-Be prepared for sticker shock!! The jobs don't pay much compared to the North East!

As far as crime-you'd have to check those other sources for the facts, but from a regular person's perspective: I feel very safe in most parts of town. I lock my doors when I leave, but I don't worry. As with most cities, there are a few areas I'd stay away from after dark. And as a woman, I wouldn't walk around downtown alone after dark. Just being smart.

The traffic can be a pain in the neck-and we have the distinction of having the most traffic accidents in the state! But a recent trip through several other cities in the Mid Atlantic & NC/SC area-I've decided to stop complaining-we're not the worst!

I have 3 adult children, so I can't help you too much with the education. I know they've just finished building a 3 school complex (High -Middle-Elementary) a huge ajoining auditorium, and county sports park just behind my subdivision. They even made a walkway for schoolchildren/homeowners to have easy access.

Like I said, I now consider Wilmington my home. Unfortunately, we may be looking at a move to the Delmarva area in the near future. Even if this does happen, it will not change my love for Wilmington.

My biggest concern-selling my house...

Enjoy your move!
I moved here for school 15 years ago, and never left! I love it. Wilmington has a lot to offer. Because we are considered a resort area, much of our population is made up of people who are not originally from here. I don't have any crime statistics. You would have to get those from the police department. If you would like a more in-depth answer, email me at egora@intracoastalrealty.com. I won't bug you about buying a house here - it's just that there is too much to write in this little box!

Good luck with your decision!

Erin Gora
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 5, 2008
The beaches are international in population so I am not aware of any issues with incoming legal immigrants or visitors. As for safety and schools, you can go to New Hanover (county) website which contains all sorts of information, and the Wilmington Chamber of Commerce will also make a good place to search for answers to you questions. The main issue I see in Wilmington is still traffic problems. I sell real estate in Brunswick/Horry county. Occasionally, I have a house closing in Wilmington. I avoid Fridays, early morning and five o'clock times because of snarled traffic. The community leaders are working on improving traffic flow; it takes time; however, It is a beautiful community surrounded by water. Most issues occur in the summer. Hope this helps.
Web Reference: http://www.LindaHinson.com
I live in New England and am interested in relocating to Wilmington. I was interested in hearing from someone not originally from the area to gain perspective. How do you find the school system? Employment? Crime? Are people friendly and open? Are we perceived as outsiders? I hope this cleared up the information I was seeking. Thank you to anyone out there with some insight and advice
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 28, 2008
I don't understand your question.