General Area in Stamford>Question Details

Kristin Desio, Home Buyer in Yonkers, NY

I am considering between possibly moving to stamford or norwalk. Which is better for a young single female? Safest areas in each? It seems as if both

Asked by Kristin Desio, Yonkers, NY Tue May 11, 2010

can be not so nice if you go 1 block or so too far in one direction or the other.

Answers

6
Kristin,

As a Realtor® based in Stamford and covering much of Fairfield County, while representing home buyer clients exclusively, I have been fortunate to have helped many select between Stamford and Norwalk. About four out of five who have selected one of these towns have picked Norwalk. Since each is a city, with all that a city has in terms of areas and neighborhoods, a good introduction to each would seem in order so you may compare the two with knowledgable guidance.

You can start your comparison online at http://www.Rich.Listingbook.com, where you can set up your own personal home search site, as my guest, with your search criteria for each community. Then, each morning, you will receive an email with all the new listings that meet that criteria, and you can mark your favorites. I will get an email as well, showing me what you are exploring, and I can send you messages about some of those favorites. There is no cost or obligation, and it is entirely FREE.

If, later, you wish my help in any way, I remain at your service. Since I only work for buyers who become my clients, I do not list properties or represent any sellers or their agents, ever! So, I have nothing specific to promote and therefore no conflicts of interest. You'll get to see everything you need to see to find the very best home for you . . . without the traditional pressure!

Best wishes,

Rich
http://www.RichardHamlin.com
info@RichardHamlin.com
Hi Kristin, I am not a real estate agent and I have lived in both cities. They are both really great and fun. I personally like Norwalk somewhat better as it is a little smaller, but still has everything you need - fun places to go out to - SONO (South Norwalk) has charming restaurant and bars. In the summer I like the Norwalk beach better than the Stamford beach and you will get slightly more space for your money. On the other hand, Stamford is about 15-20 minutes closer to NYC. I'd recommend you take a trip up here and just drive through the different areas to get a good impression. If you have someone who is very familiar with both cities to show you around, that would be even better. Good luck and have fun looking.
Either Norwalk or Stamford is a good choice. It really depends on what you're looking for. What is your lifestyle? Do you like the idea of being able to walk to everything? Do you like a city environment or more of a quiet neighborhood? Stamford is a larger, busier city and a bedroom community to Manhattan, only 50 miles north of NYC. Norwalk is also a bedroom community to NYC as well, but a smaller town. They both offer a trendy restaruant/club/museums type area and both have beautiful neighborhoods and not-so-beautiful neighborhoods. Consider where you'll be working. The commute from Norwalk to Stamford, although only 8 miles + can take quite a bit of time w/traffic, while the Stamford to Norwalk commute is reverse and much lighter. My suggestion, as a Realtor and a native to Norwalk would be to make a list of your wants & wishes, then set out to find a Realtor that knows their way around both areas, (like my brokerage firm, for one) and let them take you on a tour properties. You'll have a better idea of what your $ will buy and will have a good flavor of both areas at the end of the day. You'l find that Norwalk will offer a bit more for your money. Either way, you can't go wrong both areas offer a lot. Using a Realtor that knows the area is most important, especially if you are "a young single female" that needs to settle into a comfortable and safe home. I wish you well in your endeavor and if I can be of further assistance, please feel confident to drop me a line. Kind regards, Linda
Hello Kristin,

As a single female, I understand your concerns.

Both cities are great for singles each with large corporate presence and vibrant night life. But most importantly, safety first! As with any city, certain areas are more desirable than others. I definitely agree with Anna, intra-city demographics will assist you to hone in on areas that you would like to focus your search. Also important is the feeling you get when you travel through different areas, as you indicated.

I have a friend who moved from Bronx NY and lived in both Norwalk and Stamford. I am happy to put you in touch with her to provide you with insight on moving from NY to CT.

Finally, I am an active agent within Stamford and Norwalk and happy to take you on a tour and show you places, provided you are not currently working with an agent.

Good luck with your search.
Fair Housing Laws prevent an agent from answering--Visit a neighborhood several times to get a sense of belonging. Check out area statistics; real estate professionals are prohibited from steering—enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods; so, you should check out demographics on your own to assure your comfort level can be reached. If you are concerned about safety, your best source of information is the local police department, consider visiting/calling--ask all your questions--they'll gladly help.