General Area in 02468>Question Details

Francine, Other/Just Looking in Champaign, IL

I am considering a house in Newton, MA, that is close to the T tracks. Can anyone advise how people in Newton feel about being so close to tracks?

Asked by Francine, Champaign, IL Wed Jan 27, 2010

The house is about 4 lots away, tracks are not visible but trains may be heard. I know that in Mpls, people pay high prices for houses under the flight path. This is not that bad, and it is an urban setting, but still, I would like to know the general feeling among residents about proximity to tracks. How much is it irritating and how much does it reduce value? Thanks.

Answers

6
Newton is a great city. There are so many communities that make up Newton. There is something for everyone. Newton is also known for its T line and direct access to downtown Boston. Your house proximity to the T line is really a matter of preference.. Its like I say to my clients in Newton and Wellesley. THe T and train run thru the whole town whether you are at $400,000 or $4 million. After awhile it becomes white noise and you really dont notice it anymore.
Web Reference: http://marybethgrimm.com
Francine,

How irritating depends on individual...after awhile, any noise becomes 'white' noise and you stop noticing. If a track runs in your backyard, there is definitely going to be a reduction in price, sometimes even up to 10%. But then, you must be getting it at a discount also. You get what you pay for.
Francine:

I would say that being near a train line might be equal to being on a busy road which generally will decrease market value by 5-7%. So if you have two identical homes, one in a neighborhood and another near a train line or on a busy road I would expect that home to sell for 5-7% less. Still a great home and a great question. From home owners I have interviewed who live along train lines they all say it becomes a white noise in the back ground over time. Best and if you need any assistance please contact.
Everyone would have a different opinion on that as it is subjective to preference. Newton is a great town and in Many places you can hear the T.
Web Reference: http://www.mdmrealtyinc.com
Hi Francine,

The fact that you are considering Newton tells me that you already know what a wonderful community it is. Newton also enjoys an everpresent stable real estate market. One of its MANY attractions is its close proximity to Boston...via personal automobile or public transportation.

The fact of the matter is, if you live in Newton, you are going to be NEAR...and HEAR...the train. It doesn't keep people away though! If that is something that will irritate YOU, you may want to consider a different community altogether.

Hi Francine- I used to live in Newton- though not next to the tracks like that. I am friends with someone who is pretty close- like what you're talking about.
If you're 4 lots away, you definitely will hear the train. Key is- how often does it come and go- and how early and how late? My guess is it starts running around 6:30 am or so and the last train coming in would be about 12:30am- ?? That can be tough, especially if you have an infant who has a hard time getting or staying asleep.
Windows and doors are the key do blocking much of that noise from entering your home. You can actually upgrade you windows to take care of some of this problem.
Other than that, yes- it would limit the price/value of the home to some extent. Tough to put a number on, but I'd say maybe 4%-5% less than another similar home 1 mile away.
If I can be of any help, please let me know. Thanks, and good luck,

Ken L.