General Area in Indianapolis>Question Details

An, Other/Just Looking in Sarasota, FL

I am being relocated to Indianapolis. I am a white female in my late 20's. I am looking for an area to live

Asked by An, Sarasota, FL Fri Jul 18, 2008

that is hip and has a lot to do, but is also safe. I love old buildings and being able to walk to restaurants, shops, etc. Any recommendations?

Answers

10
A ton of great answers. I would mention several areas such as others have mentioned. Broadripple is way cool, I have owned several investment properties in the area for 10 years or so, it's a place for the younger crowd or for anyone that appreciates the older neighborhoods and doesn't want a brand new home that looks just like the home down the street. Downtown is becoming very hip as well, you can't go wrong finding an established, older neighborhood in the Lockerbie area. Mass Avenue area is nice as well.
WOW!
These posts are great and as a transplant to Indianapolis (moved from Phila back in 1990) I will tell you a couple of things.
The adjustment is challenging in the beginning but it is a great area to live with a great cost of living.
Indianapolis/Indian is a growing area
The city/state does whatever it can to help build while having a safe/fun community.

While I can't help you find a home (professionally) I can help you finance it. When you have questions or need a mortgage quote just feel free to drop me a email at tgrego@getmyratequote.com or a call at 317-714-8080. I guarantee all my closing costs with a $500 guarantee

Good luck with your search

Tony Grego - Your place for great rates
Hi....
You can't go wrong with Broad Ripple. I'm moving there myself in a few months after my new home is completed. I work at a real estate office nearby and know the area well. It's a great "village" with everything you need, including shops, restaurants, and a great city park with a "bark park" and swimming pool. Add the canal and White River flowing though it and Broad Ripple can't be beat...and don't forget the ever popular Monon Trail. And did I mention the wonderful, outdoor Broad Ripple Farmers Market each Saturday morning, or the art fair, or the historic home tour? Go to: http://www.discoverbroadripplevillage.com and you'll like what you see. (ps...I own a place in Osprey.)
Welcome to Indy! I know it will be a little adjustment if you have been in Sarasota living but Indianapolis is a great place to live.

Like the others have mentioned there are different areas around the city that would be great. We have the old and the new and you can be as busy as you would like. Here are a couple of links you can check out and learn a little bit more about Indianapolis.

As far as where to live would all depend on where you are working and how far you would like to drive. There are all kinds of houses and condo to buy inside the Indianapolis belt way and outside that would be safe. There are some real nice areas down town, and Broad Ripple have older homes. It will be a fun job when you get looking to find a place.

Here are those links I mentioned earlier.
http://www.helloIndianapolis.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indianapolis,_Indiana
http://www.indy.org/indianapolis/web/jsp/index.jsp
I love old buildings too, and downtown (46202 zip code) may be an area that is more interesting to you. Broadripple is very artsy and quaint. Fletcher Place is very old as well, but not nearly as established as the Broadripple area.

I lived in Indianapolis for almost 50 years. The Ripple neighborhood is probably the oldest and most established of the trendy places to live. The transformed neighborhoods of Mass Avenue, Flectcher Place, and even what is called the old Northside are more recent.
Based on the limited info above, I would shoot for the Mass Ave or Chatam Arch neighborhoods. They both are within walking distance to trendy shops, restaurants, concert venues, jazz clubs, etc. It's considered part of the downtown area. You don't mention where you will work. Indy doesn't have the best public transportation. There is metro bus service. Chuck
I would consider Indianapolis/Fountain square area, Broad Ripple Village, Carmel Arts district. Indy and Broad Ripple are primarily an urban area of Indy. There are always bad influences in urban areas when it comes to safety. I would always advise to check with the local police for crime statistics. The following is the link to Indiana’s sex offender registry as another source.
You did not mention if you are going to buy or rent. There are many options.

http://www.insor.org/insasoweb/initAdvancedSearchForm.do

I would consider them all hip places with activities from nightclubs and dancing, fine dining to dive bars, duck pin bowling, to shops, galleries and museums. Just depends what you’re looking for. Carmel arts district is the newest. Located outside of Indianapolis in what could be argued as one of Indiana’s top Cities. I would say for a single girl, Carmel might be safer than Fountain square or Broad Ripple. Having said that, I have never had a problem in any of the mentioned areas, but know people who have. (Homes broken in to, cars stolen, assaults, and stuff you hate to read or hear about)
Carmel and Broad Ripple are located on the Monon Trail. A rails to trails project that has been wildly successful. Biking, jogging, rollerblading etc. Very popular. They both have shops set up along it at major intersections.

I might also consider Noblesville. The downtown area is really quaint with dining, antique shops, artist studios, an old-time hardware store and ice cream shop. Car cruises on weekends. You can even walk to the city park from downtown. Putt Putt, a working carousel, city pool, golf course, and railroad museum are located there. If you’re into canoeing or kayaking. White river is close by if you like those activities.

With Noblesville and Carmel, you get away from the urban setting somewhat and the older character of the city, but still have things to do. Clay terrace, and the new mall in Noblesville are both open concept shopping malls where you walk outside to all the stores vs. being enclosed. Verizion Amphitheater is located in Noblesville. Lots of parks and trails as well.

Broad Ripple has been known for a long time as a hip area of Indy. Nightclubs, artsy, trendy, are all good descriptors. It's also located close to Butler University so there is pretty active college nightlife.

It would be a pleasure to answer any more questions you might have. I have clients in all areas referred to so I get my references from people who are actually living there.
All the best. -Eric
Let me know if I can assist you in selling your Sarasota Location
Web Reference: http://www.GulfsideLand.com
There are a lot of choices in the Indy area. Broad Ripple Village, Fletcher Place, Mass Ave., and then in Carmel, there's an arts and design district that's really taking off. You won't find old buildings, but there are a lot of condos available. Let me know if I can help. Laura
317.702.0058, Laura@TalktoTucker.com
I think your best bet would be moving to Broad Ripple Village or Downtown Indianapolis. They both are hip places to live and have old buildings/homes and lots of shops and restaurants you can walk to, as well as great nightlife. Please let me know if I can do anything to assist you with your relocation. Regards, Melissa Stayte (Matlin Realty / melissa.stayte@gmail.com / 317-652-9135)