General Area in Oakland>Question Details

soft.cell, Renter in Oakland, CA

I am a 30s F professional with a medium-sized dog. What is my best bet in terms of finding a safe, dog-friendly Oakland rental for around 2K?

Asked by soft.cell, Oakland, CA Sun Apr 14, 2013

I am relocating from the East Coast for the outdoors lifestyle and community CA affords. I definitely am looking for quiet/tranquil & don't need a bar scene. At the same time, I don't want to be in a no-mans land when it amenities and social opportunities. A lot of the apt complexes in Oakland look sketchy--or they don't accept pets. Anyone have any suggestions as to what neighborhoods I can look in on the BART line?

Answers

3
More & more rentals are accepting pets: In Oakland, try the Laurel District Laurel Heights, Dimond, Upper Dimond, Redwood Heights, Millsmont & Mills College areas. You shuld be able to find something within your price range
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 14, 2013
I have lived here in the city of Alameda for years, we have few dog parks and most residents here have dogs and loved them. I have one myself. There are many places to walk our dogs other than the dog parks. There are more nice paths by the lagoon , also roads like Shoreline Dr right by Crown Memorial Beach and Harbor Bay Parkway in Bay Farm Island you can even see across the bay at San Francisco. As for BART, the closest one is Fruitvale Bart station which is a few mins drive from Alameda, busline can also take you there. Hope that helps :) Feel free and out my website - http://www.HelenKwong.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 14, 2013
Your best bet is to work with a rental agent from a property management company who can help you find a suitable location.

If you go to Craigslist, you can find several rental agents posting their listings. Or google oakland property management companies. Choose one or two to talk with.

Also, not all rentals show up on apartments.com or homes.com. And not all rentals are apartments. I just rented my duplex to a nice lady with a medium-sized dog...and she found my place through the rental agency I used to publicize my vacancy.

Also, you may want to consider other cities besides Oakland, such as Oakland, Alameda, Berkeley --- all of which offer commuting options.