General Area in New York>Question Details

Tharealqueen…, Home Buyer in New York, NY

I am a medical student looking to buy a 1 bedroom condo in BK or harlem.. how do I go about it?

Asked by Tharealqueenroc, New York, NY Sun Apr 22, 2012

Answers

17
Ronnie Shumake’s answer
Hi Tharealqueenroc,

I have lived in both areas, am comfortable when I walk through the streets like they are my home because THEY ALL are my neighborhood! You didn't indicate a budget, but I have one in mind.

First things first, reference the link below for all areas to be considered from a buyer's perspective.
Next, get in touch with an EXPERIENCED lending provider. I know the best in the business.
Lastly, give me a ring or text and say #SHOWTIME

All the best in your house hunt!
To our success,
Ronnie Shumake
Representative, Licensed Salesperson
TOWN
Mobile: 917.423.5004
Hi there!
Many of my agents are working with, and finding both condos and easy board coops in both Brooklyn and Harlem. YOUR first step is to get in touch with a Mortgage provider, if you are not paying all cash that is. This process will let you, and us know what budget will be our focus. There are many solutions that can work for you in purchasing- you may need a guarantor, a gift of additional monies given to you, or in some cases, a co-purchase option. YOUR second step is to call a real estate professional and allow us to begin to work in doing everything from the 'hunt' to the finish line- finding the right property and assisting you through to home ownership.
It would be my pleasure to assist you.
-Fanny Montalvo
Associate Broker-Realtor
Managing Director-Sales, AC Lawrence & Co.
fmontalvo@aclawrence.com - 212.872.2205
I can help with a condo! I just listed a WELL PRICED RENOVATED - Crown Heights - granite - stainless steel - cherry cabinets - hardwood - 2 bedroom for $225,000 on Pacific Street.
Low Maintenance and low taxes! I work with several power mortgage brokers that know how to get you a mortgage.
I can help with pre-approving you being that I work with 30+ lenders. Please contact me at your earliest convenience.

Paul Marzolla
pmarzolla@unvmortgage.com
(201) 820-4420
I have some lovely condos in Manhattan available. Please call me. My name is Kevin and I can be reached at 212-714-1027. Thank you and good luck.
If purchasing with a mortgage, be aware that a mortgage pre-approval letter is required in order to determine your price range and for any offers to be taken seriously, therefore if you haven't done so yet, visit with any licensed loan officer to determine qualification; also choose an agent to work with, he/she will be your best guide.

I would like to take you out to show you a great selection of CONDOS or COOPS around the area first. I lived on 121st street-one of the best blocks by Morningside park off Manhattan Ave. There is a lot for sale in that area. Here are some steps: If you would like to proceed with purchasing one that we view in that area I would take you to a lender to get prequalified.

Next, we would put out an offer after discussing the prices in the area. When that gets accepted, you will need to get a real estate attorney-they review the financial condition of the building and synchronize the transaction with the seller’s attorney.

After the attorney advises everything is satisfactory with the arrangement you will then put up a deposit of 10-20% or less depending on the building and the board if it is a COOP. I can refer you to the best attorneys for great prices. We would submit a package to the board of directors if it is a COOP or your attorney finishes the deal with the seller’s attorney if it is a CONDO while you wait to get the loan from the bank.
The process is very simple. It is a great time to buy and negotiate. We can discuss purchases COOPS and CONDOS.
My personal opinion is FIRST look at some areas at different times of day and also I can take you to open houses in Brooklyn and Harlem to view different apartments. Then you can get prequalified or do that first, it 's up to you.

Let me know day works for you this week or weekend? Thurs, Fri, Sat or Sun we can go out, it should be nice.
Give me a call or text me a time that works for you.

Maggie Marko
917-502-2949
Hi, I Live part time in the area and can refer you to an excellent agent if you are interested. The first step is to get yourself pre approved for a mortgage so you have a handle on what the banks are willing to lend you. Once you have that figure you can shop confidently knowing what your proper price range is. Your agent will then show you what options are avilable to you and guide you through the entire process.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representitive
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
914.406.9023
You mentioned purchasing a condo in Harlem, let me know if you would also be interested in a coop in Harlem as I would be glad to show you what I have.

You can reach me at the number below. I look forward to talking to you and hopefully working with you.

Coffy Bailey
Exit Realty Power
646-773-8347

Like most agents have already told you, you should go to your bank and sit down with a mortgage lender first. I have great contacts that I work with in both Chase Bank and Wells Fargo. Becoming pre-approved is your most important step. This will determine your budget and provide you with your options. Many places in Brooklyn and Harlem you only have to put down 10% and some even offer FHA loans so your down payment would only be 3.5%. Also doctors are offered different loan options so you need to explore those as well.

Please feel free to call me with any questions and if you would like to sit down with my mortgage lenders.

Annette Holmgren
Bond New York
aholmgren@bondnewyork.com
401-837-9554 c

I have just helped a client found a place in bk, but we looked all over bk and harlem so i know pretty much all the condo buildings, let me know if i can help you as well! I have contacts of good lawyers, mortgage companies that can save you lot of closing cost money. If you are interested please email me or call me. Here's my agent bio : http://www.halstead.com/real-estate-agent/yuan-cici-cao

Yuan Cao
Licensed Real Estate Agent
Certified Short Sales Agent
451 West Broadway, NY NY 10012

Tel: 212-521-5782
Fax: 646-775-4209
Email: Ycao@halstead.com
https://twitter.com/CiciCao
https://www.facebook.com/HalsteadCici
I agree with all the answers and also recommend using an agent who has sold,rented and has lived or lives in the areas you are interested in. Harlem is hott and a lot of bang for the buck. if you would like to talk or have questions about Harlem's great listings it would be my pleasure.
Web Reference: http://www.bellmarc.com/dev
Hy Rosen, Agent. Call me. 917-868-5158. My wife and i work as partners. We've been showing our son apartments in Harlem in recent weeks. He is about to buy one. We can show you a 1-bedroom in a cool, modern, full-service condo for under $350K with monthly cost of under $500 for carrying charges and taxes, including a gym. It's on a great, well-traveled street, one block from an express subway stop. You'd need to put down $70K, (20%) and have a mortgage of $280K. All in, mortgage and cc's and tax would run you about $1,700/month. Cheaper than renting.
Hello Tharealqueen,

The first thing you should do is get pre- qualified by a lender so that you know what you can afford. Simultaneously you should call a good qualified agent to assist you with your search and help guide you through your purchase process.
Please feel free to contact me and I will be more than happy to answer any additional questions you may have.

Athena Pettway
Exit Realty Landmark
212-616-9888ext 237
347-314-6859
Hi, Tharealqueenroc.
Great question. The first thing would be to get pre-qualified by a lender. When you know what a bank is willing to lend you, you will know your price range.
It is very important to work with a skilled, experienced real estate agent. We can streamline your search, negotiate on your behalf and take you through all the steps of the buying process. The sellers all have agents and so should you, it levels the playing field.

Jenet Levy
Halstead Property, LLC
jlevy@halstead.com
212 381-4268
htp://jenetlevy.halstead.com for all NYC listings
Find an experienced real estate broker, someone you feel comfortable with and together discuss you needs, wants and financial standing. Speak with a bank representative to determine the amount of mortgage you would have access to. Then, with your broker, start your search and focus on what's important to you, learn the questions to ask, the timeline to expect and how best to prepare for the adventure! I've worked quite a bit in Bklyn as well as Harlem and Washington Heights. Happy to speak with you.
Robin Maffei, M.A.
Real Estate Salesperson, Realtor®
Professional Organizer
Fenwick Keats Real Estate
2244 Broadway
New York, NY 10024
B: 212 579-6973
C: 917 613-3176
F: 212 579-0671
rmaffei@FKRealEstate.com
http://www.FKRealEstate.com
Choose a Realtor to do the work for you. You can do a local search right here on Trulia.