Boricualexis…, Home Buyer in Virginia Beach, VA

I am a U.S. Marine who must move my family to the Hampton Roads area over the summer. I will be stationed in Fort Story, which in in the North End of

Asked by Boricualexis@hotmail.com, Virginia Beach, VA Mon Mar 8, 2010

Va Beach, I have three kids and I am looking to purchase within a top elementary school, knowing this, what area in Va Beach is has a good elementary school and is a good investment?

Answers

20
There are many amazing neighborhoods and school districts throughout the Virginia Beach Area. The Indian River Plantation Subdivision, Eagles Nest's Newly built neighborhood and award winning homes may also appeal to your taste. These neighborhoods are slightly outside of the immediate city area and allow most residents the potential for a larger yard, perfect for growing families, great school districts, close proximity to Sandbridge Beach and a taste of the country without being too far away from the amenities you would come to expect. For more information, please feel free to contact me at any time.
The Great Neck Road area is always a good investment. Many of the homes in this area are very pricey, but there are some modest neighborhoods as well. It is a straight shot to Shore Drive, which will take you to Fort Story very quickly and through a beautiful wooded state park. The schools include John B. Dey, which is regarded as the best elementary school in Virginia Beach, as well as Cox High School, also regarded as the best.
The oceanfront resort area has decent schools as well -- Cooke Elementary, Virginia Beach Middle (brand new) and First Colonial High School. A cute area to live is Shadowlawn, however it is a mixture of nice new houses ($350,000+) and fixer uppers, and there are lots of rentals as well. You can walk to the beach from there. Kings Grant is a nice area, and another large growth area with lots of military is the South end of General Booth Blvd. Those kids go to Ocean Lakes High School, only a few years old, or to Floyd Kellum HS. The area has a lot of growth in housing and shopping centers, so you have a Target, Walmart etc very close. Traffic can back up sometimes and you would be heading straight up through the resort area to get to Fort Story. Neighborhood areas to avoid would include Green Run, Princess Anne Plaza, Newtown Road, Seatack, areas close to Little Creek NAB. The western end of Princess Anne Road towards Norfolk. Good Highschools include Cox, Ocean Lakes, First Colonial, Kellam, avoid Bayside and Green Run especially.Hope this helps!
How long will you be at Fort Story? Operations there have been subject to change since the consolidation.

I live down Shore drive in the 23455 zip code, which is a easy drive to Fort Story. In this zip Hermatige and Throughgood Elementary are both excellent schools.

In 23455, you would live near the Bay beaches vs. the North End where you would go to the oceanfront beaches or even at Fort Story you can hit the beach, a really cool place for the kids.

Anywhere along the Shore drive corridor expect to pay $400K to 500K (and up from there) for a nice 4BR 3BA SFH.

The VB school system has bus routes and times listed for every neighboorhood. It will be a help when the time comes.

Hi BoricuaAlexis,

I am a fellow Boricua, Navy wife (22yrs), and was a Virginia Beach Elementary teacher. I currently live and teach in Orlando, but have a home in Virginia Beach's Hunt Club forest. It's a few miles from the oceanfront and within walking distance of a very good school, Strawbridge elementary, the Princess Anne Rec. center, the VB Princess Anne Library, Regal cinemas, Super Walmart, Target restaurants and many more. If you want information about the area schools and neighborhoods, drop me an email. nyoricn3@yahoo.com
Speaking for ourselves, and on behalf of the Virginia Beach Community, we welcome you and your family to our city. Many have already thanked you for your service to our country and we extend that thanks to your family as well. You have received some good advise as to schools nearby Fort Story and one agent mentioned checking out http://www.vbschools.com for schools throughout our city. We have lived here all of our life and raised our three children here and have found that there are numerous communities in which we believe you would like. If you will be stationed here less than 3 years you may want to rent. If longer, you may want to advise an agent you feel comfortable with about the maximum amount you wish to pay for a home, the number of bedrooms, baths, the maximum drive time to Fort Story etc. Knowing that we can forward you pictures and descriptions of homes meeting your needs as soon as they come on the market.
Thanks again for your service,
Helen Henry GRI, ABR
William E Wood & Associates
5308 Indian River Rd
Virginia Beach, Va 23464
Home Office 757-497-7475
Toll Free 800-955-5360
Direct Line 757-718-3765
Email... sellingwithhelen@yahoo.com
You have received a great deal of advice on schools, the area, etc. If you have not selected a Realtor to help with you move, I would be happy to assist. I am a native of Hampton Roads and I know the area well. It is always an honor and priviledge to help our military. I can also provide references from several former military clienlts. Give me a call anytime.

Nelene Gibbs, Realtor, E-pro
William E. Wood & Assoc.
Web Reference: http://www.nelenegibbs.com
Hello Boricualexis,

First of all, I live at the north end just a few blocks over from Fort Story so I know the area and the neighbors. As a mom with two school age children, I personally can tell you that the school district at the north end of the beach, Linkhorn Park Elementary, has given my children the opportunity to be in a wonderful Math and Science Academy and gifted programs. The teachers and staff are exceptional. At the other end of Fort Story, further down the beach onto Shore Drive is a different school district, John B. Dey, which I have heard many positive things about as well. The children and I have really enjoyed taking quiet walks together along the beach near Fort Story. It is a very serene and natural section of the beach with rolling sand dunes and sawgrass. Their are school age children on just about every block so when the weather is nice you will find many of them skateboarding, riding bikes and playing at the beach together. When we moved from Bay Colony, (which is on 47th Street at the beach), to further down near Fort Story, it was great to know we were able to stay within the same school district and the kids had plenty of new friends to play with. As far as the investment opportunity, interest rates are still low and home prices are geared to motivated sellers in a buyer's market. Keep in mind also that you may be eligible for the $8k or repeat home buyer tax credit as long as you close by the end of June. In addition, expanded tax credit benefits apply to members of the millitary, the foreign service and the intelligence community. If you decide you need to move in the future, look over the rental history for that subdivision and whether it has a stipulation on whether you can rent it out weekly/yearly.

Kind regards,

Anja Howard

Kind regards,
Anja Howard
Web Reference: http://anjahoward.com
God Bless You and thank you for your service to keep our families safe and free! Where will you be coming from? Have you ever been in Hampton Roads before? We would consider it a privlege to assist your family with your real estate needs. I have an agent who is a retired marine recruiter. Ed Llantos is wonderful with representing buyers. If you would like for me to have Ed contact you, please email me with your contact information at the address below. Once we know what you need in a home as well as a monthly payment that is comfortable for you, he can then start sending you links to properties that fit your bill. Also, if you have not been prequalified by a lender, we can have Bob Evans from Prosperity Mortgage call and give you lending information. Of course with no obligation! Thank you so much and I'll await your reply. Have a wonderful Tuesday!
Candy C. Dennis
Sales Manager, Long & Foster Realtors
candy.dennis@longandfoster.com
800-479-7355 or 757-623-2500
Holla Boricua, Yo soy de Puerto Rico tambien. I retired from the military in 2006 and stay here in Virginia Beach. Totally understand the mix of emotions of transferring season. Let me help you and your family to get familiarized with the area and get you situated according with your needs. Call me when you have 2 minutes to talk o dile a tu esposa que me llame. Marie De Pedro, Wainwright Real Estate, 757-270-1623 mdepedro @cox.net http://marie.rein.mlxchange.com
First I would like to thank you for your service to our great country! If you would like to compare Virginia Beach schools, you may want to check out this site: http://www.vbschools.com. Here, you can compare the different schools regarding general information, standards of learning test scores, etc. As already iterated below, we cannot steer you toward one neighborhood or another because of fair housing laws.

As to the question of what will be a good investment, it really will depend on how long you will be in the area, what location you decide to concentrate on and if you are willing to do repairs yourself or looking for turnkey. I'm going to be honest with you, it may actually be better to rent at this time if you are not going to be in the area for long or if you are not looking for a long term investment. On the other hand, if you are looking for a longer term investment, Virginia Beach has traditionally been an excellent place in which to purchase real estate!

Please feel free to call or e-mail me if you have anymore questions!

Samantha Sedlak
Liz Moore & Associates
(757) 810-6153
11801 Canon Blvd
Newport News, VA 23606
samanthasedlak@lizmoore.com
Hello and congratulations on your move here. I think that you and your family will really enjoy living here. Virginia Beach has some of the best elementary schools in all of the Hampton Roads area. I have a link on my website that will guide you to the schools and their ratings. Fort Story is a very beautiful base and there are some great family freindly neigborhoods very close to the base. Also, the area of Shore Drive is a great investment area because it is on the bay or within walking distance, on the bike path which is a great feature of First Landing State Park, and close to the oceanfront and great restaurants and shopping. I have been a Realtor here for over 15 years and am very familiar with the area and military relocation. Please feel free to check out my website at http://www.lilicox.com or email me directly at lili@lilicox.com. I would love to help you and your family in this new adventure!
Thanks and I hope to hear from you
Lili Cox, Realtor
GRI, CRS, SRES
William E. Wood & Associates
757-434-4110
Regarding the previous posts, I don't know if it is legal or illegal for agent to tell you what is a good school or not, Boricualesis, but it sure would be dangerous. What happens if you buy, move in and hate the school your kids are in? What is considered a good school by some, ie offers Japanese classes, might be considered a bad school by others, ie over 60% of kids getting free lunches. You and your wife need to decide what is important for your kids. My advice is to look at those websites and visit the schools in person when you get into town.

For investment pruposes, however, an agent CAN tell you what is desireable to Buyers. As far as that goes, the properties that are located in the Cox HS, and somewhat First Colonial and Kellum HS Districts seem to be popular. School districts seem to be a major factor in VABeach and is reflected in the pricing. I have heard that John B Dey is one of the most popular elementary schools, and also is fed by one of the pricier area in town.

Good luckj to you. Relocation is always stressful, but I know you will love living at VABeach; Hampton Roads really is a great place to live.

p
Hello. Please feel free to visit my website for any information you seek to help you in your search. Our area offers so much for everyone, you just need to know where to look. My father was a Marine and my husband was Navy, and I have lived in the area my entire life. I really enjoy helping anyone new to the area. My website will have home information as well as links to information on schools and how they rank. If you need anything or have any questions, feel free to call, email or text.

Missy Abrams L'Hoste, Realtor
William E. Wood and Associates
http://www.williamewood.com/missylhoste
Direct: 757-537-6802
missylhoste@williamewood.com
Licensed in Virginia

I am your girl. I am from Virginia Beach, and I have sold many homes to families in the military. I would be happy to help you with your home search. Feel free to contact me and we can get started. RobinSellsHomes@cox.net

I am retired military myself so I know how stressful it can be to transfer. I have a relocation package I can send you for this area. It has information on all of the cities and also about the schools. It has a lot of good information.
I can also start up a property search for you. This will give you an idea what the market is like here and what is available.
If you have any questions feel free to give me a call or send me an email. I look forward to speaking with you.

I have also attached a link to my website. There is a lot of information on there also along with some free applications and reports.

Have a nice day!!

Rob

ROB SHAW
REALTOR®
Long & Foster Real Estate
Oceanfront Office
317 30th Street
Virginia Beach, VA 23451
Office: (757) 428-4600
Direct: (757) 304-7160
Fax: (757) 491-6184
Toll Free: (800) 941-3333
Rob.Shaw@longandfoster.com
http://robertshaw.lnfre.com/
United States Navy, Retired
Based on information from sites like http://www.greatschools.org, and from information and feedback I've personally received from current home owners in the northeast area of Virginia Beach, I suggest looking at houses within the Hermitage, Thoroughgood, or Alanton school zones.

In general, the entire northeast area of Virginia Beach has some really decent public schools but use this link to go directly to the GreatSchools web link for feedback about Thoroughgood Elementary, and you'll also be able to navigate to other schools as well.
http://www.greatschools.org/school/parentReviews.page?id=179…

I'll also email you directly and if you want to reply to my email with details about your housing needs, price range, minimum beds/baths, 1 or 2 car garage, etc., I'll be happy to email you a comprehensive list of properties for you in some of the better school zones. I'll also be happy to also provide you references from other previous military families I've had the pleasure to serve.

Thank you for serving our country, and I hope to be of service to you in the near future.

Kind regards,

Frank Biganski, Realtor
Reliance Realty, Inc.
(757) 303-0517
Sempre Fi! Did you know that in 2009 Virginia Beach was rated the best place to live and raise a family? This is a great place to live, climate is very moderate with the exception of this year like every where else. It is illegal with regard to the "Fair Housing Act" to tell you one school is better than another, or even if there are kids living in a neighborhood. Crazy huh?

But I can provide you with info to help you make an informed decision. Here is a link where you can read reviews about every School in Virginia Beach, please check it out:

http://www.greatschools.org/cgi-bin/cs_compare/va/?tab=over&…

Also, please check out my website it is connected to the MLS so you can search for homes and set up listing alerts to notify you when your dream home comes on the market.

I would love to help you guys find a home when you are ready. Please call or e-mail me anytime if you have any questions. Looking forward to helping you find a new home.

Have a great Day!

Rick Giannascoli
Blu Skyy Realty
2622 Southern Blvd., Suite 103
Virginia Beach, VA 23451
Cell 757-572-0672
rick@bluskyyrealty.com
Welcome. If you log onto my website you'll see a link at the top labeled "schools". The link will take you to the Virginia Beach public school website. Once there you'll be able to access lots of data about the various elementary schools. Test scores, programs, demographics, etc. You can also request a military relocation school packet from the Virginia Beach public school system. My website islisted below. I'd be happy to assist you in selecting a great new home which is also a good investment.

Homeowners who secure a home purchase contract prior to the end of April and who close before the end of June of this year may be eligible for tax rebates from the federal government if they currently don't own a home. It's a buyer's market with great interest rates right now, too.
Hi there
I am a Realtor and a mom who has kids in the Virginia Beach system. Call me or email me and I will be happy to give you the advice you are looking for.

Cherlynn
RE/MAX Alliance
(757)869-5632

Thanks for coming here for advice. My husban was stationed at FT Eustis for years and we still live 10 minutes from there.
I believe agents cannot give recommendations as far as what elementary schools are the best. Maybe some of the people out there can take off their real estate agent hats and answer as moms.

Also a quick google search will probably give you a good answer too.

My daughter isn't in school yet, so I can't help ya on that one.

-Drew