General Area in Austin>Question Details

Paul B. Perez, Real Estate Pro in Austin, TX

Hydro-Static Plumbing Test? How many of you have had one? What is considered passing or failing? 2" of loss

Asked by Paul B. Perez, Austin, TX Thu Apr 10, 2008

over 30 minutes? 3"? No loss at all? I only need answers from those who have personal experience, not hear say.

Answers

2
Plumbing static tests are a scam set up by agents and plumbers to get your money, when you subject your plumbing drains to the maximum fullness to see if it leaks you are putting stress on the joints and seals that they will never ever be subject to other than during this test.

Its typically a test done at build to ensure the system joints are glued together properly.

There is no situation in your house short of a flood where you will ever fill the pipes or place that stress on them.

If the drains are blocked then its a problem, if stuff flows through the pipe then the pipe is working.

The true inspection would ensure you actually have flow from your house to the sewer line with no restrictions.

A 4 inch line will accept about 715 gallons per minute of flowing fluids...fluids will follow the path of least resistance, hence an open pipe will carry your fluids.

I have had this test performed on my house a few times and the only time it passes is right after the repair (normally between 4 and 8K) to replace $8 worth of pipe that they have yet to show me more than a hairline crack in the PVC.

A plumber will not accept the test unless there is no loss in about 20 minutes
Paul ... I have a lot of experience with plumbing static tests and stories ... both with my own properties and with clients / buyers assessing a property . 2" loss is too much in my opinion. A tiny bit of loss seems ok but still indicates a little leak and personally i want to know where all the leaks are. Always need to rule out all the easy places first as the source of the leak. I recenlty spent $3,500 on tests and digging through a slab to find a blocked trap. It took quite a while to assess then even longer to locate the pipe in the slab. On two occassions (other properties) have looked over the shoulder of the plumber watching the camera inspect a line. Have found not all plumbers know what they're doing with a static test. Feel free to call me ... 512.848.5881.
Julie Nelson - Keller Williams
Web Reference: http://www.tnpblog.com