General Area in Brick>Question Details

Bob, Home Buyer in 07740

How strict are pet policies for townhouse associations?

Asked by Bob, 07740 Mon Apr 21, 2008

It seems most of the condos and townhouses I've looked at have a one pet policy. The problem is I have 2 dogs (each under 20 lbs.). Are most of these policies pretty strict or is it just on paper? I was looking in the Maple Leaf section of Brick, NJ. When I called the association, they said only one dog was allowed but they know of some residents/tenants that have more than one. I just want to make sure it's clear before I make a purchase. Thanks

Answers

9
Good idea to check the rules as you have done - if there are restrictions, you may well have them enforced so I woudn't count on the association looking the other way.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
Every association is different. Normally there is a size restriction. Make your offer contingent upon the review of the association rules.
Many associations are extremely strict... you cross the line you are out... have you thought about a single family home instead? Therefore you can have your own rules,
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
If you love your pets get it on paper that they will allow both of your little babies!

If it's not on paper, and someone does complain it can be just cause for them to take action against you because you knew the rules which were in writing and you agreed to.

Is it really worth taking the chance?

Ask for permission and get it in writing, that can't possibly be bad advice now can it?

Good Luck...

Victor
http://www.realrep.com
Most if not all condo complex`s allow dogs and cats. I suppose until some starts to complain about their neighbors pets ,they will be allowable forever. I have recently sold condos in Brick and have active condo listings presently so I am aware of the rules and regulations.

Stephen Chmielowiec
Gloria Nilson GMAC Real Estate
Brick,NJ 08724
(732) 604-9177 CELL
Every condo or co/op community has their own set of rules and regulations. Here in Staten Island NY , I have not come across may pet restrictions when selling town homes. Co/op's and condos have more pet restrictions . It is always best to ask if pets are allowed before viewing the property. You should be specific because some communities allow certain small pets and not others.

Arlene Trunzo, A.t. REAL ESTATE SPECIALISTS
every location is different

I live in greenwood park which is next door to maple leaf and many of my neighbors have two plus dogs. If maple leaf wont allow more than one dog per household.....perhaps greenwood park would be a better choice....many if not all of the greenwood townhomes/condos also have private fenced backyards which maple leaf and most of the other developments dont have. The prices are not that different for a home in greenwood either.
In any offer make sure in your due dillegence time period that you the buyer have clarity on this or any specific grey area. And know that the HOA's 'guidelines and rules and bylaws' may change throughout the time frame you live there. Get involved in your HOA so you know what is going on.