General Area in Northfield>Question Details

Sandra Lofgr…, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

How serious is annual flooding in Northfield, MN. Plan to retire/buy there but worry about Cannon River.

Asked by Sandra Lofgren, San Francisco, CA Fri Dec 14, 2007

Answers

6
Hi Sandra....

I have lived in the Twin Cities area all my life, and I recall, the Cannon River hasn't ever been a news topic for flooding, at least not notable. Here is a report that was done by a local college on the river and notes...."Long-term statistics show that the
river reaches bankfull stage about once every 2.3 years (Cannon Valley Trail)", and doesn't mention flooding. The report is at http://www.stolaf.edu/people/swift/CannonRiverProject.pdf

I hope that helps to ease your concern. It is a beautiful area!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 14, 2007
Hello Sandra,
The flooding was mainly on the west side of the river to Hwy 3. So the commerical businesses on the west side had the most damage. Our residential areas for the most part remained dry. (There was some water in basements due to the ground being so saturated.
The thing about the Cannon River is that it has a wide basin to fill in all but the downtown area where the dam was built and the limestone walls to channel the river, so where it could spread out it did not do any damage.
When you come to retire her we can search "high Ground!".
When will you be coming?
Cheers,
Kate Kuyper
All it takes is one bad year to break all previous flooding records. Look at a flood zone map and buy outside of it.
Hi there ~ First off, I'm NOT a realty agent... I live here, raise a family and farm here just east of town.... While the Cannon River isn't as prone to reaching the 100yr flood mark as the nearby Minnesota or Mississippi Rivers are (smaller/shorter watershed), it still DOES flood - mostly affecting those of us outside town in the rural areas. (Seems it doesn't count unless you live in town according to the one agent that responded.) My address is still in Northfield, yet located in Dakota county. My home we purchased two years ago was built in the '60's and has been sandbagged/flooded twice - most recently 6 yrs ago (and made it to the network news along with the National Guard Armory Reserve station downtown)....and now we are just about to start placing sandbags again today or tomorow if the river doesn't drop. While we may be facing a bit of a scary time ahead of us, I wouldn't trade living and working and being a member of the Northfield community for anything in the world. I spent more than 10 yrs traveling, working and living in National Parks in some of the most beautiful areas in our country as a National Park ranger... I've never felt more at home or more happy to be settled in one spot in my life.
Hey Sandra,

Been here all my life, and a home has never been flooded because of it. It comes over the banks a little in town, but there's only a grass field in that area, so it doesn't matter. But other than that, it is not an issue at all. Any other questions, just let me know, ok? I'm an Agent in Northfield so I can help you with anything you might need. hometeam@charter.net is my E-Mail address. Thanks.
If you REALLY want to know your flood risk, contact an insurance agent who sells flood insurance through the FEMA program or visit FEMA's website (link below). The website has a form where you can enter your address and find out the flood risk for a particular address.

I hope that helps!