General Area in 28739>Question Details

Lotsofland, Both Buyer and Seller in 28739

How much does it cost to tear a house down?

Asked by Lotsofland, 28739 Tue Sep 14, 2010

Answers

4
I have done two in my career. The missing info so far isthe fact that when you demo a structure you get to write off the value as a loss against yur taxable income. We cleared a home off some property to build a restaurant on the property value was 65k we took that 65k as a loss. Worked out well. I wouldsee if your local fire dept. or police dept. wants to practice on it first for trianing. If it isthe fire dept. You end up with less to haul off.
Web Reference: http://www.mikekrieg.com
It can be free and gain you a tax deduction. The trick is find a not for profit organization that is willing to move the house to their lot with the plan of fixing it up and reselling it. Locally The Housing Assistance Corp. has done this several time.
As indicated in the previous answer, the best answer at this point is "it depends". The last building demolition I was involved with was over 10 years ago, and the cost then was about $10,000. It will probably be considerably more now. A major cost is not the demolition itself, but the "tipping" fees as the landfill where the demolished material has to be taken. If you indeed have "lots of land" it may be possible for you to bury some of the material (but not any hazardous material) somewhere on the property where you would not be building now or later. Check the statutes on that. As suggested in the other response, do get multiple offers. There are demolition companies listed in the yellow pages, but I'm not familiar with them. If you have a building contractor you trust, check with them.
It literally depends on the house and it's size and location. You'll need to get with one or more contractors... and arrange to have them inspect the property, onsite. From there, request a bid on removal. I would suggest that you obtain a bid from as many as 3 separate contractors. Breakdown and removal will depend on the sq. footage and the type and amount of material that needs to be taken down and hauled off.
I once deliberated taking down a portion of a second story of a home I owned. The bid to break down and haul off about 500 sq. ft. was $40,000. I decided to keep the second story that was part of a split level.
Web Reference: http://taosrealproperty.com