General Area in Weston>Question Details

Jenni, Home Buyer in Miami, FL

How long is the typical commute from Weston, FL to downtown Miami?

Asked by Jenni, Miami, FL Wed Jul 30, 2008

My husband and I recently became parents and as a result are looking for a good place to raise a family in South Florida. We really like Weston and are currently house hunting there. How long (in minutes/hours) is the typical commute to downtown Miami (and what route do you take?). Thanks!

Answers

8
Hi Jenni,

I will say 45min to 1 and half hour is the commute to downtown Miami. Where you able to find a house in Weston, FL? Did you liked the area?

Ligia Guzman Chacon, AHWD®,SFR
Esslinger Wooten Maxwell, Inc., Realtors
guzmanchacon.l@ewm.com
C 954-540-3624
O 954-515-0100
F 954-515-0200
Web Reference: http://www.lgcrealtor.com
depends on the day and time of day, but typically one hour
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 24, 2010
Hi Jenni, Congratulations to you and your husband! Weston is a great place to consider whether you have children or not because it draws buyers just on the strength of it A-rated schools. In fact, our market in Weston has seen inventory drop to a 12 month supply, which suggests a strong, healthy housing market! Imagine that in South Florida!
I use to work in Coral Gables - and commuting to Downtown Miami is a lot easier! What I discovered while commuting is that new routes would come up and I would try them. For example, few people know that 441/StRd7 runs parallel to I95 in Dade beginning at the Golden Glades and then south for quite some distance... N. Miami Road, a little east of I95 also runs parallel to it, have you considered the TriRail and the Metromover - if you work close to a station, that may be a good choice. The thing with Weston is, it has obstacles between it and Miami. The trick is to find a solution that works at the time you are on the road. Friend of mine will travel Weston to Ft. Lauderdale, gets to work in 25-35 minutes at the right time of the day - if he leaves 10 minutes out of his window of opportunity - its an hour commute!
Trial and error and success... that's what it will take - and from an area like Weston, there are plenty of avenues in and out... I took the challenge of the commute as a way of keeping the commute entertaining, and suddenly the commute was a bit more fun. Standard commuting time is 1hr, bad conditions maybe 1hr+15-30. Leave earlier in the AM, and later in the PM! Listen to traffic reports (WLRN or WIOD or go to traffic.com for online updates. They post accidents, construction areas, etc. that will help you avoid the bad spots!
I just helped a gentleman who is considering a commute between Coconut Grove from Weston... I belong to the Coldwell Banker Weston office and with my previous commutes into Miami/Coral Gables, I could relate to his concerns regarding this issue. Let me know if you want other routes to consider, email me at attila.laczko@floridamoves.com. Best of luck. Attila Laczko
Thank you for your responses. I guess the positive side to our careers is that we never leave work before 6pm (and 6pm is early). I'm assuming traffic eases up after 6:30???
Jenni: Just saw your 2nd question about rush hour times... I'd say Jim has it right on the nail. The worst part of the commute will be coming home. It is a great area tho, we also have lots of great new shopping in West Pembroke Pines too! The new Pembroke Gardens outdoor mall, a new Whole Foods... excellent schools and great restaurants.

If I can help you find your perfect home, please contact me... I'd love to work with you.

Best regards, and best of luck...

Angela
Web Reference: http://www.villagrealty.com
Hi, I just moved from the area. Get ready for a crazy commute! I can tell you though, Weston is probably one of the best places in South Florida to raise a family. There's not much riff raff living there compared to other comunities in South Florida. West Pembroke Pines is also a really nice area. You can expect a 45 minute commute if you leave early in the Morning. Expect 1.5 hours at least to get home if you are lucky.
Just to clarify... I wanted to know the average commute during normal work hours/ rush hour and during the school year. Would you still say 45 min - 1hr to downtown Miami?
Hi Jenni: I'd say you should allow about 45 minutes to 1 hour. I would take I-75 South to the Gratigny Parkway (Florida 924). This is where I-75 ends and the junction of the Florida 826/Palmetto Expressway. Take the Gratigny east to I-95 South to Miami.

This is the route most people that I know from both Weston and Pembroke Pines take, Obviously it depends where you need to be in Miami and also, where you are in Weston to determine the time taken but that's a good ballpark number.

Best of luck and drive safely!

Angela