General Area in Tinton Falls>Question Details

Terryt, Home Buyer in Tinton Falls, NJ

How does the land fill on Shafto Rd. in Tinton Falls affect resale value?

Asked by Terryt, Tinton Falls, NJ Thu Feb 3, 2011

What is the general area that the smell reaches? Is there any news on when/if the landfill will ever become deactivated?

Answers

7
I am also looking in the area. What is the exact address of the landfill? Thanks!
I'm really surprised by the responses, mostly from realtors, that the smell is limited to near the landfill itself.

You can smell this landfill (it's unmistakable) not only from the Garden State Parkway but from the Jersey Shore Outlets.

It is a beautiful area but I don't know how anyone who lives there can stand it.
I live off of Shafto and Wyckoff and experience "the dump" at least 2 times per week. You smell it almost daily driving past. The smell can't even be described but let's just say you don't even want to breathe it in. Sometimes it even gets in the house and just makes me want to vomit..sorry but the truth. Smells like a diaper pail x1000. I cannot wait to move out of this area and it's sad because the location is wonderful.
Hi, Terry,

No news of any deactivation.

As stated, I do smell noxious odors when I drive RIGHT NEXT to the facility on Wyckoff-Shafto road at night. Whatever potentially-intrusive activities go on there seem to be confined to off-hours

I'm on Hope south of W. Park (WaWa) and have never had any odors reach me. Since using he WaWa station, I have never experienced any foul smells reaching there. My colleague who lives due East in Wayside Ocean seems to have the same experience as I.

Keith Radhuber, Broker
Gloria Nilson Realtors
(848) 667-6622
I'm looking to move into that area, actually very close to the Landfill, near Shafto and Asbury Ave. The smell worries me. Are their times it is worse? like the summer months when its hot? Also, does anyone know what kind of waste dropped their? Any hazardous materials?
no haz mat all residual waste i lived in Fox Chase 15 years ago and you cold smell it strongly in the summertime wouldn't advise it
Flag Sun Jul 21, 2013
As a resident if Tinton Falls close to Wayside in Ocean Twp - I also live off of Hope Road in a private development which was built in the 70's. I have lived there for over 17 years and never had a problem with smells from the landfill. However, if you drive down Shafto towards Wawa you will encounter the unpleasant smells from time to time.. It doesn't travel further than that area. I don't believe there is any talk of deactivating the landfill in the near future.

I hope this information helps.

Andrea Di Paolo
Realtor-Associate
Heritage House Sotheby's International Realty
732-259-6360
Hi, Terry,

If you have to rub up against it, you'll have fewer lookers and then probably a commensurate drop in price. By what percentage, I couldn't say. Tinton Falls is shaped like NJ. The landfill is in the southern most section of town. I, myself, live on Hope Road between W. Park and Industrial Way, the southern end of town, and I'm not aware of the landfill unless I come home late at night and drive directly outside the facility, and smell that burning plastic smell. Probably being 1/2 mile to a mile away by the way the crow flies, there is NO day to day evidence of the existence of the facility.

On the other hand, I know a Colts Neck broker who dismissed Tinton Falls out-of-hand because of the existence of this facility within its boundaries (and backing the Naval facility).

Also. There are Wayside, Ocean Twp (I"m Wayside, Tinton Falls) residents who are actually in much closer proximity to the facility than I.

I don't know if you're coming or going, but I hope this helps.

Keith Radhuber, Broker Associate
Gloria Nilson Realtors
(848) 667-6622