General Area in Austin>Question Details

Trulia Austin, Home Buyer in Austin, TX

How does Austin's attitude towards guns differ, if at all, from the rest of Texas?

Asked by Trulia Austin, Austin, TX Tue Oct 30, 2012

Are there differences in the city code, permits to carry, or gun licensing in general in Austin?

Answers

4
Not by law, but definitely by residents attitudes. Austin is sometimes called the Republic of Austin since it consistently votes Democrat vs. Republican for the rest of the state. That said, we are governed by state law.

Different neighborhoods have deed restrictions that control gun use on your property - some prohibit the firing of any guns, some permit shotguns or rifles, etc.

Are you looking for gun restrictions or gun freedom?
Austin follows the guidelines set by the state. Now, individual attitudes may differ from other areas. Any reason in particular for this question?
Hello, Trulia Austin!

I don't know what you're looking for here, can only answer your question.

The attitudes of city leaders are similar to those of other metro areas of Texas - they tend to favor restrictions on carry, etc. However, the citizenry is more in alignment with the rest of the state. Nearly all my liberal (and conservative) friends own guns; many carry them.

To avoid a maze of conflicting laws and regulations among the various jurisdictions in the state, Texas has a "pre-emption" law, reserving to the state legislature all gun regulation.

This means the counties and municipalities cannot enact restrictions (or freedoms) in addition to, or in conflict with, those spelled out in Texas state law.

Here is a link you may find helpful: htpp// http://.www.TSRA.org

Let me know if I can help you further.

Cheri Price
Broker, GRI, CNE, GREEN
Broker and Owner
Smart Price Austin Realty
smartpriceaustinrealty.com
(512) 632-8787 cell
Why does "trulia" ask these questions? The answer is no, Texas code rules this. Austin has code to prevent firing guns within city limits (as does virtually any town or city), but doesn't have any additional requirements that i've ever heard of, and I have been through the licensing courses.

Ron Cullinan
Avalar Austin
GRI, CRS, ABR, CLHMS, e-Pro
512-799-3239
austin_realtor@earthlink.net
http://www.austinonlinehomes.com