General Area in Oakland>Question Details

Trang Nguyen,  in San Francisco, CA

How do you rezone a property?

Asked by Trang Nguyen, San Francisco, CA Thu Jul 12, 2007

We have a property that is zoned 1004, single residence. We noticed the area has many 5-10 unit condo complexes, zoned 1010, 5 units. There are also many single family homes too.
I plan to call the Planning Division tomorrow...what should I say to them?

Help the community by answering this question:


My recommendation is to go in-person to your local planning & zoning division. Every county and city most likely have a different procedure and protocol. In my area (Gwinnett County, Georgia), you show up and add your name to a waiting list in order to speak to a planning administrator or engineer. Once you meet with the administrator, clearly and concisely explain the purpose of your visit, have your questions prepared, ask to see a current zoning map as well as a future land use map (where you'll often find clues to what future zoning may be right around the corner or down the road). Then, if your goal is to have your property rezoned, ask for a rezoning package which usually includes an application, instructions for submittal, and other information about the voting body, their meeting dates/times/location, etc. Best wishes - Ted
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 12, 2007
Vicki Masell…, Real Estate Pro in Duluth, GA
You are doing the right thing by first visiting the Planning Division. Rezoning a property can be a tricky thing to do, and you should evaluate if the time and money put into this will be worth it for the property overall.
With that said, here's what you should bring to talk to the counter person at Planning:
The address of the property, the assessor parcel number or map. They will give you the current zoning information including allowed uses and those that require a conditional use permit. If none of these uses are inadequate for what you plan to do, then you should ask to rezone the property.
To rezone a property usually requires you to put together a proposal stating why you want to do this, and a site plan of the property showing the proposed new building. You do not have to have a complete design at this stage, but you should still consider hiring an architect to take you through the process. You will have to fill out an application, pay a fee, notify neighbors (usually up to 300 feet from the property) and you will likely have to have a public hearing. This process can take several months.
Once the new use is approved you can then go through the process to get your new condo complex. This type of property will require the services of an architect to design, produce construction documents and acquire approvals at the minimum.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 12, 2007
Jennifer Kre…, Home Seller in 95124
Other questions you might encounter:

- Parking concerns as the units increase
- Property line concerns for setback and fire escape
- Lot size
- Population ingress egress

It could be tricky sometimes talking the Oakland Planning. You might want to find a good surveyor to help you set the stage for your case. I have had experience where there was a 4 units building on the lot but the city down-zoned it to a SFR for the lot so the rebuild is only a SFR which dramatically hurts its resell value and refinance amount.

Good luck!

0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 13, 2007
Thank you for the answers, really information. I did find some answers on Oaklandnet, but you guys made it more clear.

Thanks Again
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 12, 2007
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer